Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • the cover so far
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

In relation to my last very amusing thread I have created the following with the help from jay!

please can any body suggest ways to which improve this as it stands so far?

Cougar

I don't think you need to worry about copyrighting it.

maxray
    Free Member

The thing about cut out silhouettes is that they can look odd. Take your swede on that pic, it looks huge but that's because the original pic had goggles I presume.

meehaja
    Free Member

unusual colour choice? i like the idea of the weekend, but for a sun effect (like tat that i tihnk you are going for) more of a burnt orange will invoke memories of warm summer evenings, riding until its really a bit too dark to see, getting whipped by plants at ankle height and kind of enjoying the nettle stings. With that in mind, swap the blue for orangey red, put the rider logo above the colour blocks, maybe making it bigger. Title needs to be bigger, if "Weekend" is the emphasis, perhaps have the "the" smaller and above the W of "Weekend". Drop your copyright below your 4X logo (which looks good BTW) Maybe the white background is overly clean? Controvertial I know, but how about a deep brown, kinda like dark, fertile soil, or even a close up of some dark mud?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

cheers will do that now, i did that fourcrossing logo in publisher 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It's a bit chad.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

unusual colour choice?

An Albiceleste fan maybe.

Bez

tat that i tihnk you are going for

Back of the net!

🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

You know, since I got this mac, my typing has been atrocious! It was reasonably fine on the shoody old Dell, but this thing, its all soft touch and weird!

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

this?

nickc

Awful, sorry

jahwomble
    Free Member

Not as good as awful, apart from the rider it all looks like really third rate clip art, sorry but it does.

SidKillerest
    Free Member

Logo created using publisher?? Aaaaargh noooo please stop now!! Get yaself a copy of illustrator mate!

spokebloke
    Free Member

Hold on.
    In your last thread you had to employ someone with design skills – FFS use them again.

Oggles
    Free Member

Why don't you do it in Microsoft Word. I have a friend who says that is all you need for really nice looking professional publications. In fact he could give you some tips on layout as he has done a course on interior design.

Seriously though. For a start there is too much going on in too many directions, it is an effort to read the title text.

loddrik
    Free Member

What about a sign which says 'dogging spot this way'…?

MrsToast
    Free Member

Needs more spokey dokeys.

mangatank
    Free Member

😯 very curious

M6TTF
    Free Member

Haha, nice quote from the robots…

My suggestion would be to look at as many covers of this type of DVD to begin with. This will give you a good idea of what's good, and equally bad of course! You'll get an idea of layout and the proportion of the elements to get the balance right between the title, logo, imagery etc.

Keep at it, it's always a process!

johnners
    Free Member

Is he riding side saddle?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmmm….

I feel a massive re-think is needed on this….

Why have you got the orange band going in front of the rider? Looks sh1t.
    I think you could improve on your 4Xing logo. The number 4 does a pretty good job of looking like a cross on its own?

What about blowing up the silhouette and only using part of it… so that it sort of frames the left hand and bottom edge of the cover?

What about Mrs Toasts exellent efforts… I'd buy the DVD encased in one of her designs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It needs bullet points.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Here…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

• LOL
    • @
    • TSYeti

scotia
    Free Member

sorry Jay

all that yesterday for this?

argyle
    Free Member

sadly yourlogoisshit.com is dead as this would have been a cracking contender for inclusion on there.

if i saw this before the start of a film i'd leave

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Sorry, missed the other thread but if you are trying to get across the idea that the viewer is in on for 2 hours of blurry helmet cam footage with a gash hiphop or Topshop indie soundtrack then I think I think it's a masterful piece of design.

wwaswas

why not a sun a bit like this one;

I think the bands going perpendicular to the sun is not good.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

As you don't have access to proper design tools or design peoples keep it really simple with some nice white Helvetica type on a plain dark background – or perhaps a slight texture – then put your silhouette beside the text quite small.

That way people know it's a mountain bike film and the lack of emotion or any other clues on the page will draw them in inquisitively…or something.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/02/25/breathtaking-typographic-posters/ look there for inspiration.

Antonyfw
    Free Member

Your picture has no unity or consistency at the moment. Although the picture is minimal in content, it is confusing on the eyes. I would start again, get 3 or 4 different designs and possibly begin to build on what i prefer.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Ditch the logo, ditch the clip art, ditch your design ideas. As TomDB said,go minimal. 1 Decent font on a plain background is the best way to go in your situation. Less is more etc.

argyle
    Free Member

helvetica is wasted on this one – more a comic sans type of guy i think….

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

its not helvetica, its an apple font

Jamie
    Free Member

Wow….with design skillz like that above Jonathan Ive must be shitting himself.

Cougar

Lose the ego trip. Seriously, picture of you, logo of you, copyright of you… at least two of those are rear-cover fodder. You don't buy CDs that say "COPYRIGHT METALLICA" across the front. (And a copyright needs a year to mean anything, iirc.)

The stripes are grim. Not sure where you're going with that, but if you have to have them I'd put them as a background layer.

Strikethroughs on the title, are they supposed to be haphazard? You've got several coming from what looks like a single origin, which is a different origin to the 'sun' rays, and then another line coming from somewhere else entirely.

The silhouette is pretty decent, but the rest is just clutter and looks untidy unless you're going for the Geocities look.

(IMHO, I Am Not A Graphic Designer, etc.)

DenDennis
    Free Member

is that a banana in your pocket or are you just getting 'excited' about "The Weekend" ????

seriously, this has to be a fishing fred, that silhoutte is suuuuch a bad choice- it looks like a bad drawing FFS!

argyle
    Free Member

i think one of the major problems is that the original photo is guff and johnnyhotcrossbuns is a bit of a fandan

phil.w
    Free Member

make the case out of carbon and you can sell it for twice as much.

Drac

Now I'm confused. He's in his riding gear thinking about being in is riding gear and I take Baby Blue is your favourite colour.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘the cover so far’ is closed to new replies.