Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The cheapest way to go faster
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Remove your brakes and go down a big hill:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXZugEbDzes#t=187[/video]

Tiger6791

Meh

wwaswas

or just put a bigger chainring on there and pedal a bit more?

onandon
    Free Member

Why doesn’t she just take a run up if she really wants to go faster ?
    All a bit meh really.

rusty90
    Free Member

That’s got to be Obree’s bike. Surely he’s the only person in the world who could actually pedal it?

martinhutch

Backpack full of rocks is quite cheap, too.

Speeder

Near as dammit 60mph – takes some guts to do that without brakes.

Was this some kind of “send us your idea for an extreme stunt and we’ll give the best a camera and a crew and put you on our website” kind of thing or is she just a massive self pulicist doing what you have to do to get noticed these days?

mudsux
    Free Member

no gloves.

richmtb

Was removing the rotors just for dramatic effect?

Still 60-ish without brake is pretty brave

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still 60-ish without brake is pretty brave

Or stupid.

Cheapest way get fjtter
    Next get better

bigyinn
    Free Member

How is going downhill without brakes going to make you fitter?

soulwood
    Free Member

Well I thought it was pretty awesome. To those who said meh, try taking your brakes off one time downhill. Granted she has a pretty big space to do it in but it shows how much braking is for comfort rather than required.

Tiger6791

Meh meh meh

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    How is going downhill without brakes going to make you fitter?

It wont but to answer the OP getting fitter is the cheapest way to get faster generally it requires no real investment and avoids potential hospital bills from removing brakes.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Whoever saw a rotor come off that easily?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

She’d have gone even faster if she’d worn a skinsuit and taken the peak off her helmet.

Painey
    Free Member

That video is pretty much what I’ve done countless times on Devil’s Dyke outside Brighton. That’s a long steep hill, fairly straight where you don’t need brakes and the run out gradually levels out. Hit 55.5mph down there last Sunday, never touched the brakes once.

It’s great fun and I’m amazed more people don’t try it. Never seen anybody else giving it a go.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s great fun and I’m amazed more people don’t try it. Never seen anybody else giving it a go.

That’s because they’re faster than you.

Painey
    Free Member

That’s because they’re faster than you.

Expected comments like that so thanks for not disappointing.

carlos
    Free Member

Humm, quite meh indeed.

Try the B-line at Llandegla without brakes, now that’s a lot more fun. 😆

Had an issue there last weekend on the bridge just before JJ’s jumps and somehow kinked both hoses, after riding JJ’s and a few squeezes of the levers all the fluid was gone, you could pull on the levers all you wanted but just nothing there at all. Needless to say I didn’t die, got some good air and beat my mates to the bottom.

shermer75
    Free Member

Great video. Some of the whooping gets a bit annoying though. So is the action can Sony’s attempt at beating the GoPro?

Painey
    Free Member

Been to Llandegla, loved it. Bit of a shame I live so far away from it really. Definitely wouldn’t fancy that with brake issues though, that must have been a hell of a ride!

Muke
    Free Member

” 96 I’m happy with that “

Well done for giving it a go, maybe there were several attempts we didn’t see and that was the max possible but having got so close why would you not try and go for the 100 ?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

don’t you just love those yanks…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Muke I suspect she pushed it so hard on the 96 and felt like she was about to die hence not wanting to get another 4kph! These things are easily said while sitting on a sofa at home.

Fun wee video, not meh at all. Casey is adorable.

winch
    Free Member

Metaphorically speaking, she’s guaranteed to have bigger balls than most people posting here. Nice vid.

ratherbeintobago

don’t you just love those yanks…

She’s not a yank, though, is she?

martymac

she cant be, shes using kph.
    a yank wouldnt recognise the existence of anything other than emm pee aitch.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Love how the majority are all like ‘meh’ I suppose that your all faster than a World Cup DH racer then?

Tiger6791

Love how the majority are all like ‘meh’ I suppose that your all faster than a World Cup DH racer then?

I am

nuke

I don’t see what the big deal is. Its a fairly straight line down a hill…I’m guessing she rides it a few times with brakes then takes them off, then gets faster and faster without brakes as she gets more familiar with the line. Sorry but another meh

campkoala
    Free Member

how many of the “meh” crowd have actually ridden brakeless?

being a strong far heavier male (and a faster rider than the majority of female WC racers) I’m fairly confident I could beat her speed down there but wouldn’t attempt it without at least 1 brake.

respect!

BearBack
    Free Member

For the avoidance of doubt she’s a phenomenally talented rider.
    Shes a Canadian Kiwi.
    She worked for us as a guide a couple of years ago and I doubt that any of our guests would have been able to beat her down the mountain 😉

bigjim

rather her than me!

Nobody in this thread would have the balls to do it themselves.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘The cheapest way to go faster’ is closed to new replies.