Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • The big telly's arrived and.. oh bugger
  • DezB
    Free Member

I really should listen to advice eh?
    Be good if the techie folk who posted on the previous thread could help out here before I contact John Lewis –
    I bought the Sony Bravia LED and down the right-hand side there is about 3-4″ of pale glow on the screen. Have played with pic adjustments, including reducing the backlighting to minimum and it makes no difference.
    Doesn’t look right to me. Have I got a faulty one?

ton

dez, our telly man say’s the screen is damaged.

he is a 15 year in the trade tv repair man

uplink
    Free Member

Doesn’t look right to me. Have I got a faulty one?

as above, it probably is fubar’d

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I don’t think it is a design feature 😉

Are you sure the input signal is correct though? Have you fiddled with settings or anything (aspect ratio etc). Where is the signal coming from? A Sky box or similar? Is it set to output at the correct resolution/aspect etc?

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers Ton, thought as much.
    M_f – all the screen aspect adjustments are done automatically during setup.
    But, yeah I should check if it’s the same on all inputs, not sure if I did that thoroughly.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Play a dvd on it, if its the same its f00ked.

Hohum
    Free Member

Unplug and then replug all of the cables, or even try another HDMI cable if you have one. Faulty cables can also make things play up.

Drac

It’s borked, if it was a faulty HMDI cable they’d be nothing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah I would have assumed it would all be automatic, but some odd things can happen.

Is it there on the set-up screen or just on playback?

A faulty cable (or one not correctly inserted) could also cause problems – good shout.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

if it was a faulty HMDI cable they’d be nothing.

Disagree – my daughter partially pulled out a HDMI cable at my mum’s last week and there was a picture, albeit very fuzzy.

DezB
    Free Member

These are all things JL will make me do, so worth knowing before I call them!

anjs
    Free Member

Try avforums as well they are normally good at giving advice

Hohum
    Free Member

What is happening with your television?

DezB
    Free Member

Will test a few things tonight, (we were too busy watching it last night to do any testing!) different HDMI cable, check all inputs give the same issue etc.

P20

Is it near any big speakers?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is it near any big speakers?

Do LED sets suffer from electromagnetic interference? Serious question, I have no idea.

P20

From memory they can, depends on how the equipment has been shielded.

DezB
    Free Member

No, definitely nothing magnetic near it.
    My hi-fi is about 3 feet away, on that side, that’s all (speakers are on the floor over 4ft away).

joolsburger
    Free Member

Put it on the menu screen or white noise if the patch is still there it’s crackered.

P20

Its fubar’d then. The speakers would have to be within a couple of inches of the tv. Wor lasses granparents bought a tv from john lewis recently and it ‘blew up’, exchanged without any problems. They even changed brand, from sony to panasonic – i think, might have been the other way round 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm. I don’t think it is fubar’d – looks to me like the way the LCD display makes the colours. The glow is totally invisible if the screen image is black, but if its a mid-colour, like the green of a rugby pitch, or grey concrete this pale glow is more visible.
    Makes hardly any difference which input, but is slightly more visible on Sky through HDMI.
    Might be able to get used to it? But prob gonna call John Lewis tomorrow.

mikey74
    Free Member

It doesn’t sound like something you should have to “get used to”, it sounds like a faulty screen

geordiepaul
    Free Member

What Sony is it?
    I have a 52EX703 and I’m on my third set due to awful backlighting. Sony quality is not what it used to be!

Hohum
    Free Member

You don’t get these sort of problems with a plasma….

Sorry, but I could not resist 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have a Samsung LED TV and have no such problems. Picture is superb.

DezB
    Free Member

You don’t get these sort of problems with a plasma….

Sorry, but I could not resist

No, just a grainy picture! 🙂

It’s a 46ex713. Geordiepaul, what was the backlighting problem like?

Cougar

It’s a new telly, and it bothered you enough to ask on here about it. Send it back and get a new one.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Sony quality is not what it used to be!

Hasn’t been for a long time!

Panasonic may be a better bet. Samsung and LG are big players now.

Someone said about magnetic interference affecting picture. Hmmm, never heard of this on any flat panel, but CRTs were very susceptible.

I recall leaving a car audio speaker on my colour crt for about 30 mins in the early days before I knew better. The picture was ****. TV’s used to suto de-gause on power up, but this one required full demagnetising.

mogrim

Sony quality is not what it used to be

Was it ever? Serious question: a couple of years ago I had a Clie PDA, Cybershot and some other Sony thing, all went wrong and none more than a couple of years old…

PDA: for the young ‘uns out there it was like a smart phone, with little smarts, no colour, and no phone…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Strange first ‘post’ there from Cocolove. Text is copied from DezB. I’ve reported it as spam, and I ain’t checking those links!

billybob
    Free Member

Strange first ‘post’ there from Cocolove. Text is copied from DezB. I’ve reported it as spam, and I ain’t checking those links!

I was about to but it had disappeared when I refreshed the page after logging in – damn the mods are quick…

Anyway back to op – if I’d personally spent that sort of money & I wasn’t sure it was working properly I’d be straight on the phone to the people who supplied it.

DezB
    Free Member

Going to phone this morning and I’ll report back.
    Personally (pretty obvious I suppose) I like Sony stuff. My hi-fi is christ-knows how old, I have loads of mini disc players (really!).
    But they aren’t great at everything (eg. my HDD/DVD recorder was crap and went wrong) maybe their TVs are hit & miss.

Hohum
    Free Member

I did a lot of research into televisions last year before I bought my Panasonic plasma and I did not read anything about Sony having QC issues. Could be that you have just been unlucky 🙁

geordiepaul
    Free Member

It’s a 46ex713. Geordiepaul, what was the backlighting problem like?

Here’s an image of my current set. The other two have been the same.
    Currently waiting for another replacement, if that doesn’t work I’m getting something else…

Clicky

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks for that. I am pretty sure mine isn’t that bad.

Does it look like that while displaying black?

DezB
    Free Member

I did a lot of research into televisions last year before I bought my Panasonic plasma

So did my mate, who I asked for advice… oh why don’t I listen???!

uplink
    Free Member

Here’s an image of my current set. The other two have been the same.

That looks like an old fashioned degaussing issue that used to affect CRTs, I wonder what it is?

DezB
    Free Member

Me again! John Lewis are happy to replace my Sony with a Panasonic 🙂
    Unfortunately they are out of stock with 46″ so I’ve gone for a 42″. I’m sure I’ll cope. It’s the model recommended by my mate Dave, although I had to (yes, had to) go for the 3D ready version as the other was out of stock. (And it comes with a free Blu Ray player)

BTW, John Lewis customer service: Fantastic. (At least I made 1 correct decision)

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Mate of mine had this with his LG – there was a slightly lighter stripe that became apparent when watching footy. Had three different ones all with the same problem in various places, tried new HDMI cables, different sources etc… in the end swapped it for a Samsung I think.

Richer sounds were very good for him, Curry’s where he bought the original one weren’t

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Does it look like that while displaying black?

No it’s only obvious with lighter colours, red, greens, yellows etc.
    Sick of waiting for a replacement and Sony customer service is next to useless though House of Frazer have been great, the hold up is Sony!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘The big telly's arrived and.. oh bugger’ is closed to new replies.