Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • the best waterproof shorts and trousers?
  • glynP
    Free Member

What are the best waterproof shorts and trousers according to the singletrack massive? I like Gore paclite ones but I’m thinking I could do with something a little tougher, maybe the new Altura Attack X or the endura ones, what say YE!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

If you want tough, Endura are not it. The fabric in the arse of mine was starting to wear through within 3 rides and eventually after about 4 months the arse ripped out of them.

travellingman
    Free Member

Is it me or does the concept of ‘waterproof shorts’ strike you as a little odd?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

does the concept of ‘waterproof shorts’ strike you as a little odd?

No, having a dry bum is a little bit AWESOME.

Prefer my new Altura Attacks to my old Endura Venturi – nice that they were 1/3 the price as well.

Only three rides in them so can’t comment on longevity though.

avdave2

I’ve got the Altura attack 3/4’s which have been pretty good. I wear them almost every day in the winter as my commute is permanently wet and muddy at this time of year. The seat area shows some signs of delaminating and if it’s raining very heavily then it seems to seep through in that area. They keep out all wheel spray though which is what you need most of the time. I think the ideal shorts would have a heavily reinforced seat which sacrificed breath ability for long term water proofness.

glynP
    Free Member

Hmm! Anyone tried army surplus ones? I think I saw apost about thT recently

mieszko
    Free Member

I recently bought a pair of Altura Attacks as well. Only used them 4 times, but still waterproof and seem very well made. What I really like is the cut, I had some other Altura trousers and the cut was completely out, crap to cycle in. The React fabric is really good, highly breathable and no condensation inside, reinforced on knees and bum area. Some folk were writing that there are problems with the reinforced material delaminating but the 2011 model is slightly different to the 2010 so they maybe fixed that.

[edit]
    I had the army gore tex ones and if You are not trying to make cut offs from them than I would not bother. Cut is just about ok to cycle in on a mtb but the waist is very high, think Simon Cowell but even higher. Quite a few different models, I had the ones with velcro fly and adjustable legs so probably better than the cheapest tracksuit bottom style ones with waist band and elastic bands on hems. To buy a decent pair of camo ones will be around £15-20 for the nice ones, they are solid and seem well made but the Altura Attack are much nices to cycle in and seem almost as solid. They cost 3x much but really worth it if You want good waterproof trousers.

[edit]

Northwind

I love my Attacks… I got a pair of 3/4s which didn’t get on too well with my kneepads so ended up getting a second pair of standard shorts. And they are ace- they wear more or less like regular shorts, a wee bit noisy but otherwise just shorts. And not too expensive considering that an equivalent quality standard short costs barely any less.

But quite a few people have slagged the durability. Maybe I’m lucky, mine are still fine a year on.

senorj

I got some of the endura waterproof arse shorts as the part waterproof/more breathable thing appealed.
    After 3rd/4th ride the seams leaked – badly.- quite disapointed.
    I had washed them as advised.
    Back to Gore cut offs with braces me thinks.

glynP
    Free Member

What do mean by gore cut offs?

thepurist

MrsP’s Gore Alp-X are in a different league to my Endura Superlites – but they were twice the price. I’ve had the Endura MT500s for a while too & they’re doing fine for me.

yoshimi

I’m interested in thse too – currently using army surplus pants cut down; theyre very tough and very waterproof, just not the best cut for riding in esp over bibshorts theyre always slipping down 🙁

Garry_Lager

The altura attack 3/4s are good. I don’t like wearing shorts over lycra generally but don’t mind these ones.

Got a pair of army goretex ones recently (20ish quid on ebay, the flectarn ones) and they’re very good for commuting. As said, the cut is not ideal and they’d not be great for serious miles on the MTB, but no pair of trousers is IMO. I wear them on my big bike when I’m just out arsing aboot. (ETA – they have braces so don’t slip down, which is helpful).

They’re also a great overtrouser for hiking if you do a bit of hill walking.

senorj

“What do mean by gore cut offs?”

army issue gore type waterproof trousers cut off into shorts.

get them on flea bay.

Alex

About a year ago, I bought some of the cheaper Endura waterproof shorts. Nice and long, mostly waterproof, been worn a lot and although showing wear, still working fine. About £45 and I think I’ll have another pair if/when they do fall apart.

Had the Alp-X ones before. Two pairs infact, as the first pair delaminated on the inside. Second pair started to do this so only now used on road bike. Twice the price of Endura’s, not sure twice as good.

Frankers
    Free Member

Cheapish Endura superlites are good for the money, they don’t delaminate as the material is fairly basic.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Had to buy some a couple of weeks back for a Lake Land monsoon epic. Always said I would never bother with W/proof shorts and just man up, oh how wrong was I. 3/4 Altura Attack after good advise from Biketreks and 5 hours later a dry bummed happy mtb’er 😯 Worn them every ride since due to the wet Yarkshire clag.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

OMM Kamleika

stretchy, hard wearing, light weight

retro fit some fott stirups to keep them from riding up for full winter dry feet effect

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘the best waterproof shorts and trousers?’ is closed to new replies.