Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • The best beer pub I have yet found…
  • StefMcDef
    Free Member

My brother in law’s local, The Stockbridge Tap in Edinburgh, is the best beer pub I’ve been recently. Great range of ales/ciders/bottled/draught, you name it. All immaculately kept. Bar staff very knowledgeable, dog-friendly, does good grub as well.

Highly recommended.

toab
    Free Member

Go to Reading, find The Retreat, The Hobgoblin, The Hopleaf or the Nag’s Head.

Food = crisps / pork scratchings.
    Beer = fresh, local real ales and ciders, a good lager or two.
    Cliantelle = Normal people, not posers (quite a lot of beards though)

locomotive

shockingly enough the best pub in the world is in Reading and its called The Retreat

Good shout.

*hic*

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

Byrony bar in Edinburgh

Stoner
    Free Member

The OP started this thread about the Cask, so thought id pop in here since I have an empty evening ahead of me on my lonesome, and I must say its a very fine beer pub. Highly recommended, 5 Stoner Stars.

Had two hoppy golden beers already, and both been superb.

So CFH, do you live council flats next door then?

allthepies
    Free Member

Try Corona Extra beer from some pub.

No thanks, they put battery acid in it and it contributes to climate change.

toys19
    Free Member

Any pub that sells decent lager. Home brew real ale is just the water left after dog has been washed and stinks of poo.

Try the Rendevous in Southernhay Exeter. They sell peroni. mmmm

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My local, http://www.blackbullboroughbridge.co.uk/

Mutts welcome, log fire, good beer, good grub & most importantly, no telly, ‘jukebox’, bandits, pool tables or anything else to stop you getting to know the local ‘characters’ (like Curly Keith, who goes everywhere on a tractor)
    I don’t get in often though as I find it hard to leave.

bigyinn
    Free Member

How curious, jacobmartin joined STW especially to troll a beer thread that was last active 4 months ago. Odd indeed.

donsimon
    Free Member

Curiously, I just want some eggs.

santacoops
    Free Member

This place is a regular stop on an evening ride…

http://www.ancientbriton.co.uk/

Always wondered whether theres any good trails up there or up the Trecastle road, my parents live in Ponty, any suggestions?

bikebouy
    Free Member

[/url]

My Local.
    It’s amazing.
    But don’t go there or tell anyone about it will ya’s.

toys19
    Free Member

Have passed the ancient briton umpteen times. Might go in next time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

As it happens, I was in Cask on Monday night. Had an astonishing dark beer from Mikkeler, Monk’s Elixir

The numbers –
    10%
    £4 a half

The review –
    Astonishing. Truly astonishing. Barrel aged with cranberries. Like some sort of firework display going on in the tastebuds!

As to the council flats…no. Excellent brickwork, though. It won awards for the pointing, apparently.

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I will have to check out the Cask soon. Sounds good.

Ear, Flashy; do you know the Fox and Anchor on Charterhouse St, Smithfields? What a lovely pub. Chop room type thing out at the back, really nice place to have a pint. Had something last week can’t remember the name but it was served in a proper tankard. Really good beer.

Had a few pints of St Austell Trelawny yesterday, in the Old Barge in Hertford. Lovely stuff. Preferred it to the SA Tribute which is also ok.

Bit shocked at the massive hike in Meantime Raspberry Wheat Beer in their two pubs in Greenwich recently; £5.30 a pint!!!!! 😯 Gone up from about £3.80 last year. I’m going to complain.

bigyinn
    Free Member

London beer prices cause my wallet to recoil in fear.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t know that one, Fred. Will check it out.

On a price related note, while in Cask the other day, two less than well dressed and more than already drunk “customers” came in. Saw some of the beer on offer (No Stella, etc) and saw the prices.

They sauntered (Well, more reeled) out yelling, “Youse lot must be f**ing rich bashtardsthelorrovya.”

Thought it might have been you…. 😉

lowey

Bank Top Tap

Just voted best pub in Bolton by Camra.

HansRey

proper pub? With friendly locals, good landlord and no music? Then you should check out the Birch Hall Inn in Beck Hole. See here. . And you can meet Rocky too

Don’t go to the Goathland Hotel. It’s rubbish

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But it is still in Bolton, Lowey…! 😉

Won Hun Dread.

Ambrose

Santacoops- there is some absolutely amazing riding to be had in the district. Mr Ordnance Survey really is your friend here. Above Dan yr Ogof is fantstic, if a bit of a faff to get to. Above Penwyllt is very cheeky, but apparently well worth the effort. Email me if you want a bit more info.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The Port Street Beer House in Manchester is pretty decent for beer, if a little Londonesque in prices:

Home

Seems to attract the pouting crowd a bit too. Still, they have an interesting ale selection, loads of tasty US stuff on tap and the fridges are packed with more beer than you could probably ever try.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

In Noth Yorkshire the New Inn & Cropton Brewery has a range of 9 or so real ales, brewed in their dinky little brewery in the garden.
    Also, not badly placed for the North Yorkshire Moors Railway should you feel the need to combine quaffing real ale with messing about on steam trains.

Dark-Side

I’ll throw my hat in the ring with the Brewery Tap, Chester.

The Brewery Tap

LoCo
    Free Member

http://www.thedovepub.co.uk/

if it hasn’t been post before 😀

jeffl

Ah the purple turtle, saw some great gigs there.

jonrambo
    Free Member

Weatherspoons- gud pint of stella n cheap as ****! 8)

thejesmonddingo

Fernandes Brewery Tap,regular for post Sunday social ride,brewery downstairs,one of the barpersons rides with us,what’s not to like?

messiah
    Free Member

I like where I live. Go west for forests and mountains, go east for sea and beer.

http://www.marinehotelstonehaven.co.uk/beer/index.php

rOcKeTdOg

if you are in brum try http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/ not for the decor or atmosphere though, strictly for the beer
    today’s list
    1 Wye Valley – HPA 4%
    2 Black Country – BFG 4.2%
    3 Black Country – Pig on the Wall [mild] 4.3%
    4 Oakham – Citra 4.2%
    5 Purity – Mad Goose 4.2%
    6 Beartown – Brown Bear 4.1%
    7 Blue Monkey – Ape Ale 5.4%
    8 Box Steam – Funnel Blower 4.5%
    9 Dancing Duck – “22” 4.3%
    10 Heritage – Northgate 4.8%
    11 Derby – Essence of Life 4.5%
    12 Copper Dragon – Golden Pippin 3.9%
    13 Riverhead – Black Moss Stout 4.3%
    14 Falstaff – Pennywise 4.2%
    15 Imperial – Madness 5.2%
    16 Currently Being Changed

yunki
    Free Member

pfft, I laugh at your 12 real ales. Any pub selling any more than a session and a best bitter is just catering for poncy townies

+1

I can almost hear the unpalatable braying.. like fingernails down a blackboard..

I imagine the atmosphere would turn the beer sour..

This is more like it..Ye Olde Cider Bar

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘The best beer pub I have yet found…’ is closed to new replies.