Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 877 total)
  • The Ashes thread! (spoilers)
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tickets for the fourth day at Lords are all sorted! WOOOOHOO!

Very much looking forward to this series, and just hoping for a few things;
    1 – The England team take inspiration from the one day side’s recent performances.
    2 – The Australians (And English!) follow the brilliant example of sportsmanship shown by the New Zealanders on their recent series.

I still think Australia by a test, sadly.

(Apologies if bindun, couldn’t see one!)

tiggs121
    Free Member

I’ll go for England to win 2-1 with 2 draws.

If the weather holds out it should be a cracking series – as long as England maintain the aggressive style shown v New Zealand – if they don’t then …..

MrSmith
    Free Member

Really looking forward to it.
    I expect the Aussie players to be their usual pugilistic and verbose selves and fail yet again to play the game in the correct manner, it’s the only way they know.
    Although none of the bogans have won in England I expect a draw and them to retain the ashes.

Hopefully some great cricket from both sides in between the bouts of gobby ‘banter’ and whinging ( aussies can’t function without either), be interesting to see who steps up and performs and who wilts under pressure on both sides

scaredypants

It may be good viewing but I reckon Aus to win and 2 matches not to reach day 5

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Can’t wait. Bowling attack choice on both sides will be interesting. And who will attack who in a Walkabout this time? The drama of sport

palmer77
    Free Member

I’m at Lord’s on the Monday if still in play that is. Last time I was there for the Ashes was 2009 when Flintoff took a 5 for and the crowd was chanting: ‘There’s only one Freddie Flintoff!’

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3GRFGGLB-8

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ouch. 5-0 still stinging with some ^^^ – must have hurt when going in with such over-confidence and obviously still does. Wouldn’t normally hope for Australia to win much apart from against Wales in rugby – but I’d like to see them win the series here. Never know what England might do though…backs against the wall and all that good stuff. 🙂

Houns

Edgbaston Friday for me and the old man

mefty
    Free Member

Cocked up – was planning to go to the first day at Lord’s with friends, but its the penultimate day of our holiday, should be able to get to the Saturday and hope to make the Sunday as well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Could be tight, bowling is sorted but of Johnson hits his best England will be in trouble.
    Batting, depends who gets in and who turns up from both sides.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Sunday at Trent bridge for me. Will be my first test match. Looking forward to it 😀

theotherjonv

No tickets for me this time round; TV will be getting a bashing. As will we, i suspect. Be nice if the ODI form translates but suspect they’ll be just too strong. We might have moments, but you don’t win series by winning the odd session.

I was at armed forces day on Saturday and on the Challenger II tank there was an Australian Armoured Regiment officer on secondment to the Hussars. His mates had got him a ticket to Lords for the test, having never been there he was almost beside himself with excitement. Fabulous to see that the old ground really is so special to fans the world over; having been many times I still enjoy it but you can forget the specialness of it.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Think unfortunately England will get a hammering – the “sporting Kiwi’s” maybe not the best preparation for what could be a really hard, niggly series.
    England lucky to win 1, depends how soon the Ausiies wrap up the series and maybe ease up a bit 😕

allthepies
    Free Member

“Morning everyone…”

A week to go 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

Rashid in squad, good

Alastair Cook (Essex), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Adam Lyth (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Wood (Durham)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d like to see Rashid play but who does he replace? If he does I think it’ll be a straight swap for Ali but I’d like to see them push him back up the order and drop Bell or Ballance.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Going with my brother in law to Cardiff on the Friday. First time I’ve been to the cricket since watching local teams with my Grandad. What should I expect (other than a sensational win by England and a hangover the next day).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned that it all starts tomorrow?

Well, it does!

Also, a request for some kind soul to report me to the mods. OK, hold your horses, not like that! Just realised that the thread title doesn’t include a spoiler warning, and would love to have one added, hence asking for a reporting!

😀

dantsw13

Off work today, so will watch the start

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It starts today? Great news! (somewhat lacking in cricket related news in Sweden).

I’ll look forward to my pod-catcher filling up wit TMS editions.

allthepies
    Free Member

Morning everyone.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Radio all charged up. Can’t wait.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I still expect a poor start from England just like the Lords tests, they always seem a bit nervy like the occasion goes to their heads. I also expect the bogans to whinge about something like “doctored wickets”. The bogan media seem to think this is unsporting and preparing a wicket a certain way is something they would never do 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[Richie]

Morning, evereeboddeeeeee!

[/Richie]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and drizzle to start, who though playing in Wales was a good idea, Draw anyone?

leegee

Watched Kent vs Australia weekend before last, Losing Harris is significant. Drawn series I reckon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

reminds me of the last game I watched
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rCbJKL]And on come the covers[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    Hopefully England put up a fight like Scotland did…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And we’re off!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nice to see the first run away… Pitch looks interesting

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and then the first wicket…. 🙁

Freester

How much longer for Lyth as England opener then?

fin25
    Free Member

Probably give him another innings… 😛

Klunk
    Free Member

this is going to be painful, england getting stuffed and having to listen to Warne and McGrath crow about it 😥

johndoh
    Free Member

🙄

fin25
    Free Member

I’m not overly concerned. Losing an early wicket is night on inevitable on day one of the first ashes test. I think we have a very strong, attacking batting line-up. Probably would have put Root at 3 though…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ngland getting stuffed and having to listen to Warne and McGrath crow about it

Only 2 cocky Aussies? Struth mate, don’t know your born

uwe-r
    Free Member

Looks a bowling pitch this? Questionable decision to bat for me although balance and cook doing ok at 29-1. They need to be there at lunch.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Root to the rescue again?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Meh.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh christ on a bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 877 total)

The topic ‘The Ashes thread! (spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.