• This topic has 52 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Ro5ey.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • The '66 World Cup, are the English really that fanatical about it.
  • fisha
    Free Member

Genuine curiosity here. I’m Scottish and not much of a football fan. Recently on radio 2 there has been a running advert for a special show that focuses on the 66 World Cup and an as it happened type of show. It got me thinking, are English people really that sentimental about it ? Or is stuff like that and the many mentioned reference to the 66 win by media commentators a thing which is pushed onto the people by the media itself ?

It just seems that other countries have won the World Cup but I don’t get the impression that they revel in the nostalgia of it to the same extent.

And yes, I listen to radio 2

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes they are that bad about it and for two reasons

1. they won it
    2. they have not won it since

richmars

I think most people don’t think much of it, but it’s an easy subject for the media. They like nostalgia as it’s cheap programming.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’s all a bit embarrassing IMHO..

Smudger666

It is something deep down – it’s like the jocks and bannockburn – doesn’t matter that you had your arses handed to in almost every engagement since (as scots that is, not taking anything away from the arsekickings handed out as part of uk forces) like we have at football, you still harp on about that famous victory over 400 years on. I think 40 is quite reasonable tbh. 😀

I’m English, spent the last 42 years in Scotland and the east highlands were a tough place to be an Yorkshire kid at times in the 70’s – no hiding behind a neutral edinburgh accent for me! I worked out early on that the scots didn’t ‘hate’ the English, they hated Jimmy greaves the pundit. Sod it, I hated Jimmy greaves the pundit.

Don’t forget that 90% of the population is English, so much of the Bbc is playing to the audience.

mtbfix

Not all of them. But I suppose we are all prone to basking in the reflected glory of past achievements of one sort or another.

DezB
    Free Member

Who is this “The English”?
    Personally, don’t give much of a toss about something that happened when I was 2.
    The one when I was 39, that was exciting. Can re-live that one over and over.

richmars

But I don’t see people on the streets demanding more info on the 1966 World Cup final. I think it’s driven by the media as it’s cheap TV/radio.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I remember ITV goal of the World Cup competition a few years ago , the number to call and vote was something like 0870 452 1966

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nothing more special than winning a home World Cup plus of course we beat the Germans 🙂

60’th anniversary hence the specials.

vongassit
    Free Member

That BBC radio 2 thing makes me cringe eveytime the trailer plays. Never mind were utter shite now , oh look what happened 50 years ago.
    Pfftt 😳

fisha
    Free Member

Dez, how else should I refer to the people of England then? I was trying to be fairly generic.

Rich, that’s what my impression is as well. It seems like media trying to invoke sentimentality where there doesn’t really appear to be any on the part of the public. But I could be wrong hence the curiosity.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

60th anniversary hence the specials

Maths not your strong point. We’ll list that one below ‘facts’.

bloodynora
    Free Member

I’ve said before we should stop entering these competitions just like the scotch have done for the last 20yrs….

DezB
    Free Member

Dez, how else should I refer to the people of England then?

“Some English people”? “English football fans”? “Sad old English farts who live in the past”? 🙂

scotroutes

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

60th anniversary hence the specials

Maths not your strong point. We’ll list that one below ‘facts’.[/quote]The £/year exchange rate is all over the place since Brexit

bearnecessities

Maths not your strong point

Sorry, but I chuckled 🙂

RustySpanner

Well, I like football and wasn’t around in 1966.

I don’t recall ever seeing the match being reshown on TV.

I’d like to see the colour film footage.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Christ I feel old now, I would have been about 3 weeks old on that fateful day.
    I guess it’s the only reference point that puts England in the ctategory of world class. They can now be talked about in the same breathe as Germany, Brasil and Argentina rather than The Netherlands.

scotroutes

Will there be a “special” on TV next year with Jim Baxter playing keepie-uppie at Wembley?

maccruiskeen

plus of course we beat the Germans

Its funny how whenever England and Germany face each other we bring that up – as if Germany will somehow be sore about it the result. Its one of the 4 cup finals they lost rather than one of the 4 they won – they’ve made it to the final more times than any other nation – in fact they’ve made it to close to half of all the finals in history. So as a loss it doesn’t really figure in their folk memory of historic football results. By comparison 1966 the only cup final England has ever managed to get reach.

scotroutes

I watched it (in B&W, obviously). At the tender age of 7, I wasn’t aware that England wasn’t even “my” team – but that would start a whole different discussion on the Scottish education system, institutionalised racism, cultural censorship and the Celtic Cringe. So lets not go there.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m english and I couldn’t give a flying 4X about 1966. 2003 though, now that’s a different matter altogether 😀

I know it’s sad, and I know we’ve been shit ever since but that moment…if there was a drug that made you feel like that I’d buy a **** bucket of it.

DezB
    Free Member

wrecker
    I’m english and I couldn’t give a flying 4X about 1966. 2003 though, now that’s a different matter altogether

Oi! Come up with your own ideas!

allthepies
    Free Member

How very fortuitous.

zippykona

Junkyard – lazarus
    Yes they are that bad about it and for two reasons

1. they won it
    Thanks for the spoiler alert. 👿

slowoldman

I would imagine it’s only English football fans who make a deal of it. I should think most English people don’t give it a moment’s thought.

RustySpanner

How do you know if someone doesn’t like football?

They tell you.
    All the time.

‘Just popping out the shops love.
    Hope I don’t meet any football fans.’
    🙂

fisha
    Free Member

Allthepies – absolutely. My phrase is generally “I don’t support football, I support greenock Morton ”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve never understood (even as a fervent Scotsman) why folk get annoyed about England and the constant 1966 references. If we had won the World Cup, there would be a tv series about it, and I’d watch every **** episode, Christ we still go on about beating you lot in a ‘friendly’ in ’67!.

Celtic fans go on about winning the European cup in 1967 every bit as much, even though bloody Linfield made the quarters.

Celebrate it as you wish, it’s only the nay Sayers that moan, and who cares about them.

RustySpanner

I saw Montrose at home to Queen’s Park (I think) once.
    186 people, 40 of which were up from Manchester.

Went for a pint in the British Legion across the road at half time, slightly surprised to see a couple of members of the coaching staff doing the same.
    🙂

It was brilliant.

RichPenny
    Free Member

No. Probably fills a slot in the schedule though and would be cheap to make.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

.if there was a drug that made you feel like that I’d buy a **** bucket of it.

I was rootling around a wheel barrow full when this happened; so were the shed…

[video]https://youtu.be/_jgvs9GlsGU[/video]

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Nobeer +1. The adulation showered on the class of 66 will only grow with every inept tournament showing since. They’re legends because just about every other effort at a major championship since – bar 1990 and 1996 – has been woeful. During Euro 2016 there was a stat going about along the lines of England only beating 4 teams in normal time after the group stages since 1966. Says it all.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oi! Come up with your own ideas!

I think we are both allowed to do it, because, well, you know, we WON!!!!! 8)

RustySpanner

Oh come on, if we can’t wallow in fake nostalgia at a time like this, then when?

Trump’s already reinvented the combover, it’s time we embraced the prematch fag, the wage cap and career ending knee surgery all over again.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I’m very much ‘club before country’, and as my club won the world cup for England, I’m quite fanatical about it.

scaredypants

I think it’s something like 63% of all under ten ENGERLISHaaah !!! children have the middle names “Mooro Hursty AllanBall”, so it must mean something to us I suppose

Nipper99
    Free Member

Its the same with the WWII obsession and whole channels devoted to it.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m English,I’ve no interest in it. Lots of English people have fallen out of love with football,but you don’t hear about that because the media love it.so it’s all over the press/airwaves, these days I can’t stand football,there’s no getting away from it.Presumably it sells papers,generates interest on TV?
    I never watched a minute of the Euro’s & a few of my mates are of the same opinion..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘The '66 World Cup, are the English really that fanatical about it.’ is closed to new replies.