Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 463 total)
  • That time of year is coming again – what's hot in the lighting world?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Snownrock thanks for that. So two head units, two battery cases, 8 batterys. Do you Also need helmet and bar mount? The battery backs just attach to the frame? (Or camelback for the headtorch?) And sorry what do you mean by standard charger?

Thanks!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Popping this post in so I can find this thread later.

Garry_Lager

Anyone running a solarstorm on the helmet? Quite a hefty battery pack, so do people just stick it in the jersey back pocket with the wire running down?

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve also been looking for single unit lights. I have a glow worm x2 and it is great. But I rode on the road a fair bit last year in the dark and I didn’t need that much power. Also occasionally while commuting I need a bit more power than my cheap AA LEDs offer if the weather is bad. Finally, towards Autumn I don’t need full lights as I’m getting back in at dusk but want something small and light to have just incase.

The ones that I have seen so far are the Torchy stuff on Ebay, The Magic shine MJ858 and http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-uf-23b-cree-xm-l-u2-700lm-4-mode-white-bicycle-light-black-4-x-18650-255067

leaning towards the torch stuff at the minute.

BillOddie
    jonnym92

Will be looking to get my first set of lights for this winter.

Been doing some research and the solarstorm x2 seems to be the one that crops up most. Does anyone have any experience buying these from anywhere? Not sure what sites are legitimate or not.

Would the SSX2 be needed on both bars and helmet? Or is this overkill for the helmet torch?

dannyh
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for Smudge and mtbbatteries here – good quality kit, excellent after sales and a thoroughly nice bloke.

Before I got properly into night riding I got a cheapo Ultrafire SSC P7 from Scamazon. It is still going strong over two years later and has been whacked on many trees and shed door frames since being used as a helmet light. These are very generic far east jobs and I think can be had for less than £20 these days. To balance it up I got a similar 3xcree one from Amazon which was crap and eventually packed up about three months in.

Mtbbatteries = more expensive initial purchase (than scamazon anyway) but a reasonable ‘lifetime’ purchase. Compared to more ‘mainstream’ brands his prices are very competitive.

Scamazon = Buy cheap, buy twice unless you get a good’un.

Yak

jonba – the Torchy BK500 is v good imo.

rickon
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused this year, there appears to be no new innovation or light manufacturers in 2014. Maybe it’s a bit early? Have we reached a point where there it costs a lot more to make more gains? Or is the lighting market a bit poor at the moment? Lumicycle sold up recently, and rebranded didn’t they?

Right, I have a Solarstorm already, loads of 18650 batteries and a charger (for my electronic fags), so it looks like I’ll be buying one of those cases that snownrock linked to and stick with what I’ve got.

As an aside – I have an old Hope Vision 4, that’s left a bit lacking – does anyone do upgrades to the LED’s?

_daveR
    Free Member

Any UK based people who sell pre assembled 4 x 18650 packs and a charger for use with my Solarstorm lights?

Northwind

Torchy the Battery Boy was selling Solarstorm-compatible battery packs, I got one to replace an old battery as it’s a bit past it and I wanted more capacity, worked really well. I think it’s branded Bikeray.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused this year, there appears to be no new innovation or light manufacturers in 2014.

More like everyones bought one, the price has hit £15 a light, and there isn’t a practical need for more than 2000 lumens or so. For the past 2-3 years it’s been the same LED’s at the same brighness just with ever increacing claims (5000lumens, really, at the same current as the reputible sellers are claiming <2000lumens?). And before that it was the P7 Bastid and before that the p7 torch, even then the P7 was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Bike lights are a niche and weren’t the ones driving the development, they just spotted a use for an existing technology and the rate at which thye were addopted has just reached the same curve as the development.

Mtbbatteries = more expensive initial purchase (than scamazon anyway) but a reasonable ‘lifetime’ purchase. Compared to more ‘mainstream’ brands his prices are very competitive.

Much as I like a UK company, you can get the same (unless they were copies) lights imported directly through DX for peanuts. And my battery didn’t last a year, response was pretty much “they do that (unless kept at exactly 40% charge in a fridge when not in use)”.

snownrock

Snownrock thanks for that. So two head units, two battery cases, 8 batterys. Do you Also need helmet and bar mount? The battery backs just attach to the frame? (Or camelback for the headtorch?) And sorry what do you mean by standard charger?

You could get two sets and have one on the head and one on the bars but I think thats overkill. I use torches on my helmet 2 of these WF-501b (same latest led as the SSX2), they use the same batteries i linked to above, so buy another couple of pairs. One medium power you’ll get about 3.5 hrs runtime. They offer a bit more versatility too, camping, walking, running etc.

Bar mounts come with the solarstorm (elastic o-rings, it weighs sod all so these are fine). The battery pack comes with a velcro pouch for mounting to the top tube. I use strips of velcro to mount the torches to my helmet, nice and flexible. Regarding the charger, just search ebay for a magicshine compatible charger.

Been doing some research and the solarstorm x2 seems to be the one that crops up most. Does anyone have any experience buying these from anywhere? Not sure what sites are legitimate or not.

See the lightmalls link I posted above, a bargain, can buy a spare one for that price. I’ve used them for years with no problem, pay with PayPal in case of any issues then you’re covered.

For the past 2-3 years it’s been the same LED’s at the same brighness just with ever increacing claims (5000lumens, really, at the same current as the reputible sellers are claiming <2000lumens?).

I agree, Lumens not going up anymore as there is no real need. Interesting that the LED technology is going the way of efficiency now, same lumens for less wattage, ie XML > XM-L2, same brightness but longer runtimes.

snownrock

Quality batteries and chargers are where you need to spend the money. The lights themselves are peanuts now so spend the money on decent batteries that have actual (not just printed) capacities. Buy Panasonic, Samsung, (XTAR, Senybor or Xeccon – these are re-branded Panasonic anyway) – My preference is Panasonic NCR18650B as I linked to above.

Please make sure you buy PROTECTED cells also so you are not relying on the torch/charger to prevent over/under discharge.

For an individual 18650 cell charger buy this: XTAR

frogstomp

I got a Lezyne Mega Drive when they were cheap on SportPursuit last year.. very happy with it, especially the ‘race mode’ toggle setting..

hypnotoad
    Free Member

For the Solarstorm X2 type lights, can you get replacement lenses that make them ok for road use?

I already have a lens for the older T6 magicshine clone type light, and was wondering if there was anything similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//271465541878

For the X2

Thanks

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fantastic information for a Luddite such as myself . Thanks very much snownrock

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Oh and any links to the Velcro straps ? 🙂

brassneck

Oh and any links to the Velcro straps ?

Ask your friendly neighbourhood server guy – the velcro tie downs from cable management arms are ideal.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I used to use Animal Velcro watchstraps as zip ties, trouser clips etc. might browse eBay…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have taken the plunge and gone for one of these… http://www.ebay.com/itm/161362759435?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=460385684246&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The reason being is the second led/ lens spreads the light beam pattern making it ideal (in my head) for road use. The battery case is allegedly waterproof as well.
    Just need to find a nice little self contained unit for the lid and commuting duties.

stevied
    Free Member

@neils: that light will not be 5000lumens.. 🙄

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

@neils: that light will not be 5000lumens..

I am fully aware of that and the 8800mAh battery is a little optimistic as well but if the second lens spreads the beam pattern then its a winner for me. The girlfriend has the solarstorm and it’s insanely bright for £15. This one has the same led’s in a different housing, a different lens on one side and a waterproof battery pack. I think.!

chorlton
    Free Member

I’m after some new lights this year after the solar storm’s I bought last year packed up. They just about lasted the winter before the lamp cable started breaking away at the connector.
    Great light for next to nowt so I’ll get another as a spare but I think I’ll spend a bit more to get something a bit longer lasting.

snownrock

Great light for next to nowt so I’ll get another as a spare but I think I’ll spend a bit more to get something a bit longer lasting.

Why? At £8 each buy a few, they’ll still be less than half the price of any branded lights.

variflex
    Free Member

I will have a gloworm x1 with four cell battery pack for sale in the next week or so. quality is superb especially the completely waterproof rubberised battery pack. best I have ever seen. will be gong for 85 quid delivered if anyone is interested. makes a perfect head light as an addition to a bar light.

iainc

So is there still a market for the £300 plus Exposure, Lumicycle and other premium brands ? What is better about them and is the price tag justifiable ?

frazchops
    Free Member

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. It [they] is [are] so choice.

http://www.full-beam.com/

variflex
    Free Member

is there still a market for the 300 plus brands

yes I believe there is. if u look at how well made they are and how long they last you can end up paying the same for cheap lights that keep packing up. also lowers the risk of battery packs blowing up and catching fire.

exposure for example are perfect for bar lights without the need for battery packs and cables so in my view worth every penny. I don’t mind cables from my helmet into a back pack but cables from my bars to frame is a real pain for me. add in the reliability and support from exposure I think they are well worth it. I know guys that have bought exposure lights through cycle to work scheme which makes it even less painful.

solarider
    Free Member

Dynamo all the way. Battery lights are so last year!

I will be running a Schmidt SON 28 front hub (15mm through axle) with a Supernova E3 Triple. No need to worry about running out of charge, bright as you like, beautifully made and eco friendly.

Just about to move to Singapore where the endless hot and humid summer (there is only one season) means nocturnal riding is a regular part of the cycling scene all year round.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My cheap Chinese ebay lights turned up today and very nice they are too. They came in a plain brown box with a UK charger, front light unit, battery pack (4 X 18650), various strap sizes and a rear led light that takes two AAA batteries. The battery pack is in a rubber “waterproof” case, I will reserve judgment on that until it has seen some proper British weather. The head unit has two LED’s which have different lenses in to distribute different light patters.

The battery pack…

The head unit…

Near beam…

Spot…

Both…

The near beam spreads the light well, the spot reaches waaaay ahead and both combined work well together. For twenty five notes they are pretty good but only time will tell on quality. Compared to the solar storm they are worth the extra £10 imo.

woodsie
    Free Member

try this….. quad 782s and a 920 for the central section + 20/20 difs
    95000 lumens
    8)

jimster01

Neil,those look impressive,do they come with helmet mountings?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Nope no helmet mount but I would imagine any old helmet mount that fits Chinese lights would do.

muggomagic

Neilsonwheels, got an eBay link for that light?

Cheezpleez

Muggo, it’s on the previous page

muggomagic

Cheezpleez – Member
    Muggo, it’s on the previous page

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

😳 that’ll teach me to skip to the last page.

iainc

that neilsonwheels one does look pretty good….

wonder how it compares to likes of the C&B Seen ones, which ‘should’ have a safer charger ?

these ones

marco
    Free Member

Just posting so I can save this for later

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 463 total)

The topic ‘That time of year is coming again – what's hot in the lighting world?’ is closed to new replies.