• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by danti.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • That time again…. New HT!!
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

I have itched a scratch and gone down the FS route and it’s not working for me. My Trek Fuel EX9 is currently up for sale in numerous places on the inter web and my search for a new HT begins!

So what’s it for?
    Fun riding over the South Downs, friston forest etc. Mainly bridleways and paths but with the odd section of red route. Nothing major, no massive drops and jumps, I have come to the conclusion that’s just not my thing. I just want a fun bike that goes fast and climbs well as 70% of the time I’m going up!

Budget I would say is £1200 max. Don’t mind 2nd hand if it’s in good condition. I have had the luxury of a dropper post and decent 1×11 drive which maybe difficult to get at this price.

Looked at Bird Zero which I can get in budget without a dropper but also want to look locally to support LBS.

650b, 650b+, 29er all considered.

It’s not much to go on but hit me with your suggestions! I can sacrifice dropper/1×11 if the bike is right. I’m based in East Sussex if anyone is selling up too.

danti

Cotic Soul or Solaris, there’s often 2nd hand ones on here.

renton
    Free Member

Whyte 629 if you can find one !

vincienup
    Free Member

Should definitely be able to pick up something like a Soul275 if you sacrifice 1×11 and it doesn’t have a very fancy fork or carbon wheelset etc…

I’ve recently been contemplating whether to sell my Soul275 (I’m not !!!! This isn’t a stealth ad! ) and with Revs, M675 brakes, x9 2×10 shifting and M675 crank and XT cassette, flow ex’s on Pro2evos, Lev dropper, Thompson bits etc I was wondering if £1250ish was a bit rich. Looking at sale prices it probably was, and I’d have expected a bit of haggling.

vondally
    Free Member

About to sell my Ritchey P 29 size large …most recent version so black and yellow with tapered headtube…with DT Swiss 120 mm forks steerer 210 and some carbon exotic forks steerer 170 ish…so you can go rigid or full suss.. Possibly do wheels so hope evo 2 hubs on hope tech rims, bought from a fellow who had a fleet of Ritchey bikes and I have done around 700 miles on as I have become a fat bike convert.

Great bike, wonderful steel ride, really quick especially downhill and of course flies up.

Consider a stooge as well, seriously great bikes.

kayla1
    Free Member

Soul, Slackline, anything steel and nice really.

wl
    Free Member

Very happy with my 2016 P7 RS. Mint all-rounder and great fun to ride.

variflex
    Free Member

Would definitely go with 29er over anything else given the type of riding and climbing. As above Whyte 629 would be perfect or another Trek or Scott. If steel is your thing then Cotic Solaris is a great all rounder. Lots of choice out there. Demo rides are probably your best bet if you get some.

peasant
    Free Member

I was in the same boat as you and was riding mainly chilterns downs bridleways etc on my FS ,I swapped it all over to a stanton sherpa mk 1 and have not looked back even spending time in the lakes on it

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’m looking out for 2nd hand deals too, just in case something pops up!

dumbbot
    Free Member

Build your own bike, I built my Slackline up (1×11, dropper) for less than your budget.

Stanton owners group 20% discount, next Gen frame+ headset is £600, you’ve got plenty of decent and transferable parts from your trek, sell the rest…

If it wasn’t for the fact I did build my own, I wouldn’t have been able to afford a Stanton.

NormalMan

Nice sounding Solaris in the For Sale section.*

*nothing to do with me. I’m pleased I kept my mk1 in the end.

momo

Strip the Fuel and transfer the parts onto a new HT frame, that way you get to keep all the nice bits that you’ve already got.

kayak23

jayx2a
    Free Member

momo – I would strip the Fuel and move it all over (probably with the help of my LBS) but I have no idea what I need to look for in a new frame so my parts would fit! I know the Trek has E2 head tube and a 142x12mm thru-axle, 120mm tapered front fork.

I guess its the 142x12mm that I need to lookout for? And of course something that is ok with 120mm!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I’m pretty local to you, and have tried numerous bikes, all 29ers. By far the best is the Stache 5 I picked up 2nd hand. Perfect* for SDW long rides and amazing in Friston and Stanmer. My favourite bike by some distance.

*except in winter, plus tyres weigh a ton with clayey Friston mud. Fortunately it seems like it will never rain ever again, so all good!

danti

I can’t believe that Curtis on the classifieds hasn’t sold! Lovely frame.
    No connection to seller.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘That time again…. New HT!!’ is closed to new replies.