Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • tell me about your racing experiences
  • user-removed
    Free Member

The Kielder 100 – I can’t seem to buy a place! I go to the sip-events site, follow the link to the xcracer site and go round in circles 🙁 Am I being daft?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My first race was in a park in Ealing sometime in the late 80’s. The course was probably closer to a cyclo cross course than what we’d now consider a mountain bike course. Anyway myself and a friend lined up with about 70-80 others and sprinted away at the start. First corner, first place. Second corner, still first place. Approaching the first hill, change down, but the gears don’t engage properly. By the time I had a non slippy gear I had lost a lot of places. Still carried on and finished in the mid twenties.

Second race was last year. Entered a 5 lap sports category race of about 50 riders. Decided not to fight for initial position but rather pace myself through for the duration, so came out of the first corner in a more or less deliberate last place.

For the next three laps i gradually overtook enough people that i was somewhere in the middle ground and quite enjoying it. Lots of little overtaking tussles some of which I’d win and some not, but there was always someone to catch or to get away from, it was a good laugh.

Then shortly after starting my fourth lap the elite category riders started, most of whom seemed to be taking it very seriously. On a relatively short course consisting of mostly singletrack it was carnage. I lost track of my position and who was in my race, all the little battles that had made the race fun evaporated within a couple of minutes. I rode back to the start of the final lap, got off and handed in my number, DNF.

trickydisco
    Free Member

The Kielder 100 – I can’t seem to buy a place! I go to the sip-events site, follow the link to the xcracer site and go round in circles Am I being daft?

Were you half asleep? 😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well done Surfr. Are you cat 3 or 4?

racefaceec90

have only ever done one event (2003 salisbury plain challengeas it was known then)in january.i did the 50km route.was actually great fun (especially at the start with over 1500 riders blocking the main road 🙂 would definitely like to do more events (i don’t race as such) am aiming to start training to attempt a 12 hour solo spam biking event for next year (have just decided to do it just this minute :-)good luck with your event 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Then shortly after starting my fourth lap the elite category riders started, most of whom seemed to be taking it very seriously

Elite athletes taking things seriously? No way 😉

Generally elites set off ahead of sport, you were being lapped. Agree though that can introduce all sorts of pressures! Youv;eve just got to get used to it though, you can’t always get a clear track, in fact you’ll almost never get a race totally free from back markers, either being one, or catching one.

Surfr
    Free Member

muppetWrangler

My first race was in a park in Ealing sometime in the late 80’s. The course was probably closer to a cyclo cross course than what we’d now consider a mountain bike course. Anyway myself and a friend lined up with about 70-80 others and sprinted away at the start.

Elthorne Park?
    I raced there in 1990 or so on my Ridgeback 600 STI. It was a cross and MTB race I think.

@TrickyDisco 4th cat. 0 BC points so far.

oldgit
    Free Member

That sounds a nice little circuit, wait until you get out on the open roads you’ll love it.
    You’ll need to recce the course, look out for climbs, key corners and landmarks that’ll tell you youre about to hit them.
    You’ll feel like a proper old pro with police outriders riding along side you.
    Jealous of your enthusiasm..

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘tell me about your racing experiences’ is closed to new replies.