• This topic has 73 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Tell me about the On One 456 and maybe show yours.
  • Mof
    Free Member

For financial reasons I’m having a cycling re-think. Selling current bikes and switching to just one all-rounder…to include a bit of commuting. The On One 456 looks attractively priced, would my current Fox Vanilla RLC (140mm travel I think) be ok? How well does this frame climb with the long travel front end? Also fancy the Scandal (or Scandal 29er) but would mean new forks (and wheels for the 29er). Opinions and alternative suggestions gratefully recieved…I don’t want to “down grade” and get it wrong.

brant
    Free Member

Van 140’s would be lovely on there. Climbing is excellent due to steep-ish seatangle (well, not slack) and not too short chainstays (not long either).

hora
    Free Member

Idid the same. Went from a blur4x (original idea was a full sus and a hardtail). TBH I think I’m going to be happy on just the 456 for now. Why not buy a set of forks that are ultra light and can be wound from 150 right down to 110? Gives you two types of bikes then for all riding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I can ride up pretty steep stuff with 130mm forks so I shouldn’t think you’ll have a problem.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m constantly amazed at what I can get up on my 456 with 145mm nixons, even without winding them down.

Even on technical climbs I have trouble deciding if its as good a climber, or (shock, gasp) better climber than my 5spot.

I’m not particularly fast, so I’m not talking about speed here, but the pure bloody minded tenacity of the thing is something to behold when you’ve just outclimbed full suss boys on slippery limestone babyheads.

Clink

scienceofficer – I ‘might’ be out on Sunday – normal time/place?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Probably unlikely for me, I’ve not seen the kids all week, been working at the other end of the country. That said, I’ve not ridden for a fortnight, so I may well be there anyway for my sanity!

Mof
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds better than I expected up hills, and Hora, the adjustable travel forks is a good idea, probably try my Vans first though coz I doubt I’ll get enough back for them to fund a new set without having to “fork out” too much. 😉

Simon

Mof what do you currently ride?

Here’s my 456. Climbs well with 130mm Revs, never feel the need to use the u-turn. Feels nimble in twisty singletrack and very stable on rocky technical stuff, and great fun when you point it downhill.
    Best hardtail I’ve had so far, I reckon.

hora
    Free Member

I just think it gives you two bikes in one bike build. Bigger hitting and whippet XC.

woody2000

Bizzarely, I find mine’s all over the place on climbs if I don’t wind the forks down a bit. Hmm, maybe I need to work on my technique a bit! Great bike though, real all-rounder 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

I down graded from an Orange Patriot to a 456 and have never regretted it. It does everything I need it to, climbs ok (gets up everything I can manage!) descends amazingly and the flat bits are ok.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Woody, Its a bit of a strange one. My mates have said I ride like a demon on it, despite the fact its a size too small. I have little trouble keeping up with fullsuss unless its really, really fast and choppy, I climbs brilliantly seated or standing and is acceptably light at 27.5lbs.

Perhaps because its a size too small I can get my weight over the front easily on the climbs?

snowslave

I’ve got the 456 summer season with pikes which I swapped off a Rocky Ridge. On that I used to be constantly winding the forks up and down. On the 456 I’ve found I hardly touch them unless I’m attempting to climb up something particularly long and steep. I’d fancy trying 150mm forks to see what they’re like actually.

Any probs with climbing are more to do with me than the bike…

Mike59

Interesting thread. I’m looking at one of these. Can anyone tell me the weight of a 456 frame? I know the Ti and the Scandal weigh about the same (3.5lbs IIRC)

And ride quality – presumably the Scandal will bounce around more than the Ti. What are people’s views on whether the extra weight of the 456 is worth paying for the better ride?

Cheers

brant
    Free Member

I find mine’s all over the place on climbs if I don’t wind the forks down a bit

Things that make it do that:-

1. Layback post
    2. Saddle slid back
    3. Very short stem.
    4. Very high stem.

Can anyone tell me the weight of a 456 frame?

About 5.25lb

Mike59

OK, cheers Brant.

Incidentally, when are the Ti 20″ frames back in stock?

Simon

My complete bike, as built up in the photo above, weighs around 32lbs.

taxi25
    Free Member

Only problem with the 456 is that its so good, you wont be able to stop wondering how good the ti one will be.You know what happens next!!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My 16in is 5.06lbs

snowslave

My bike weighs in at c. 32lbs – that’s with a spec of coil pikes, xt brakes & gears etc, thompson seat post, truvativ over sized bars, hope2 hubs, mavic 717 rims and high rollers. And a bash ring made out solid lead.

woody2000

@brant

16″ frame
    Inline seatpost, saddle pretty much in the middle
    75mm stem (is that short?) with (I think) 8 deg rise
    Mid rise bars
    130mm U-Turn Revs

I’m 5’7″ and a bit

I do have quite a few (about 25mm at a guess)spacers under the stem as I kept the steerer quite long.

Hmmmm?

brant
    Free Member

Woody. Sounds like your bars are higher than I’d expect. Though maybe you just like low gears? 34t rear cog?

woody2000

You’re right, 34T rear, and thinking about it, it’s probably worse when I use the granny/34T rear combo. Which obviously isn’t often being the iron legged beast that I am 😀

I have tried having the stem lower down the steerer, but the front end felt a bit low then. I think I’m a funny shape 🙂

djc1245
    Free Member

Here is my 456(hope i’ve done it right), got Revs and Nics on now. Really enjoy riding it. Climbs well, descends well. The only thing holding it back is the useless rider.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/djc1245/Inbred.jpg?t=1232730790

brant
    Free Member

I have tried having the stem lower down the steerer, but the front end felt a bit low then. I think I’m a funny shape

Lowering the stem would make the stem feel lower, yes.

but that’s what lowering does.

djc1245
    Free Member

Cheers Brant

woody2000

I realise I walked into that a bit, but there’s no need for sarcasm Brant.

Mike59

456 Ti frames Brant? Can’t work out from your site when they’re due in (20″)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mine with Pikes on 456 Summer Season

Same with Revelations. I think i prefer it with Revelations on to be honest so they are now back on it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Should add, I F**king love my 456 Summer Season.

Slack head angle makes it brill down steep things but it climbs superbly, without really needing to wind the forks in etc.

jimw
    Free Member

What would one be like with a 100mm fork?- too twitchy?

knottie8
    Free Member

Only a four incher on the front but it rides great(budget build) ……..

jwt
    Free Member

I have a 456 which i love, climbs good, and descends better, around 28-29lb build without going silly, and it feels solid and planted when you REALLY cane it.

the_lecht_rocks

here’s mine :

superb on the 32 RLC Van with lots of sag [~35%]..

wondrous 😀

brant
    Free Member

I realise I walked into that a bit, but there’s no need for sarcasm Brant.

I apologise, but it tickles me no end when people try and “replicate” positions from one bike to another, when chances are it probably wasn’t right in the first place.

When you sit in the saddle on a 456 it should feel *slightly* short. Almost, but not quite, like the position you adopt when you climb up a steep hill. But stood, it’ll feel normal (bars to BB distance).

Likewise, I think Luke’s bars would be better with that spacer removed. High front ends mean you lose control up and downhill.

the_lecht_rocks

i like my 456’s front end elevated, as the Head Tube is so short, the elevation gives loads of ‘pull’ !

Vortexracing

Mates just about to order one coolhand, just like yours, i’ve just picked up some Pikes from merlin for him.

You should see him around Rivvy when we finish building it.

mooman
    Free Member

How will the summerseason frame suit a 4″fork?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about the On One 456 and maybe show yours.’ is closed to new replies.