Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Tell me about Rohloff Hubs… (please)
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think SFB's experiences have busted that myth.

except that I was widely criticised at the time for having unrealistic expectations of submersibility, leading me to believe that most riders are far more hydrophobic and would not be troubled by this vulnerability…

willsimmons
    Free Member

I think perhaps a little too much is read into SFBs problems. There are very few other reported issues, google will show you that. Am I correct in thinking that the repair/service was free of charge though? Can't see too many other companies offering that level of backup, certainly not in my experience.

Like any moving-part MTB component it is not completely indestructable, but it is a lot more resilient than a traditional gear set up. My hub has been ridden pretty hard and through some pretty shit conditions. Only after 18 months did the bearings wear out which isn't bad I don't think. Various parts on my non-Rohloff bikes have worn out in that time (hub bearings, jockey wheels, chains, cassettes, chainrings etc) with less usage and more often in more favourable conditions.

epicyclo

I've got one, and have hardly used it because I don't like the weight or the drag. I haven't given it a fair go though because everything I have heard about them suggests you need to put some miles on them to bed them in properly.

My brother has one and did 1,500km offroad on the Millenium Trail in Oz (heavily laden and towing a trailer). He had no trouble, but his mates got through a few derailleurs and the odd cassette.

On the whole they are a very good thing. Rohloff's service is a bit like Rolls-Royce used to be.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Only after 18 months did the bearings wear out which isn't bad I don't think.

except they're supposed to be good for 50,000km, and are not user serviceable, so you lose the wheel for at least a week, even if serviced FOC (in Germany).

willsimmons
    Free Member

Only after 18 months did the bearings wear out which isn't bad I don't think.

except they're supposed to be good for 50,000km, and are not user serviceable, so you lose the wheel for at least a week, even if serviced FOC (in Germany).

Well I don't think it is too much of an issue to be without the hub for a week after every 18 months of heavy offroad in shit conditions use. has the world gone mad? Apart from one 30 minute oil change I didn't do anything else to it in that entire time, I can't say that for my traditionally geared drivetrain.

As for the wearing in issue then I can hardly remember it being much different to how it is now when I first got it. The 'drag' issue is often brought up by Rohloff detractors. The wearing in drag (of which I barely noticed) is reported to go away and the only other source of drag is the sealing. I will admit that the seals produce more drag than on my other hubs but I guess that is the price you have to pay for a hub that is relatively well sealed.

How efficient are traditional gears when the chain is running at an angle? Always suprises me what it feels like if you have the bike in a workstand and shift through the gears.

Cue submersion story again!

rolfharris
    Free Member

1. 14 speed only but you can alter sprocket and chainring size to get a lower or higher lowest gear- I ran 36/16 which was fine.

2. Mine was massively reliable once I'd replaced the Rolf cables for brake outers and gear inners- the liner on the Rolf ones got sucked into the shifter, seizing it.

3. See no reason why not.

4. 36T front, 16T rear- no issues but if you're a high torque rider rathern than a spinner that's not a recommended set up.

5. They are heavy. I feel the place for them is on lightweight bike, like an Enduro bike or normal XC bike where the bike will remain a normal weight and be a good ride. I had mine on a burly hardtail and it added too much to the weight- it pushed it too far into the "over 30lbs" category. I didn't find the location of the weight to be a problem- either in the air or on the ground.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Rohloff Hubs… (please)’ is closed to new replies.