Home Forums Chat Forum Tell me about raising lots of sponsorship money

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tell me about raising lots of sponsorship money
  • nmdbase
    Free Member

I want to do the BHF Clock2rock, London to Gibraltar but I need £5500 in sponsorship, has anyone done anything like this? How did you go about raising that sort of amount?

Thanks

druidh
    Free Member

#1 – find out the actual cost of event, the part which doesn’t go to the undoubtedly deserving good cause.
    #2 – pay this part yourself.
    #3 – now work out how much you actually have to raise. It’ll be a lot less and may seem less daunting.

bullheart
    Free Member

What he said.

iDave
    Free Member

think how hard it will be to raise what you need to raise, as set out my druidh – #3

multiply this by 50 to find out how hard it will actually be to raise this amount

nmdbase
    Free Member

That’s £2700 so I’d rather buy a new bike 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

Well evaluated.

cardiff
    Free Member

It’ll be an awesome experience, one you’ll probably never forget, don’t let the fundraising put you off.

Split it down in to smaller chunks for starters, spread it over the time you have to raise it perhaps.

If you’ve got any contacts through work approach them,I riased over £9,000 for a John O’Grats to Lands End ride last year and got a lot this way, even in the current climate.

I know one ride that had different shirts made up for each day that were sponsored by different companies.

Also know of someone who rasied over £2,000 from a raffle, got the prizes by writing to hundreds of companies and was amazed at how much free stuff he got!

If its for a specific charity, use them, I got them to set up a bucket collection at a cardiff city football match for me (did it with a load of friends) rasied around £1,500 in about an hour and a half.

Good luck!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You want to do a jolly costing £2700 and claim its for charity because you raised another £2800? Nope – don’t ask for people to pay for you to have a holiday

nmdbase
    Free Member

No Jezabelle, I don’t. The fact is I would do the ride but if I had to pay £2700 to do it I’d rather spend it on something else

sc-xc

There are so many requests like this nowadays. People walking 5k or going on the trip of a lifetime and expecting to get sponsored.

You’ll find it easier if you ride the distance round the UK and donate every last penny raised to charity. I wouldn’t subsidise a holiday.

I know someone who recently cycled to Berlin to raise awareness for the Anthony Nolan Trust. A much better idea, and something we could all give some thought to. I am watching one of my 10 year old’s mates really go through a hard time with Lukemia, and getting on the bone marrow register is easy – and can save lives.

Anthony Nolan[/url]

bullheart
    Free Member

The Bullheart JOGLE cost me around £1500 all in personally.

convert

No way I could raise money for this sort of event without covering my costs first – similarly would struggle to hand over too much cash & would rather (and do) donate direct and know all my money was being used.

When my wife swam the channel for charity last year she first covered the costs of the event and then we put on a big BBQ party (which we paid for) and all our friends paid a tenner to charity to come along. Had and party and raised the cash – win, win!

nmdbase
    Free Member

To be honest I didn’t even look at what cost was deducted until druidh said about it, I though I had to pay £200 which would be fine.
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/view-event.aspx?ps=1001220

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nmdbase – Member

No Jezabelle, I don’t. The fact is I would do the ride but if I had to pay £2700 to do it I’d rather spend it on something else

So you don’t actually care about the charity – its the ride you want to do.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you think you would get any money if you told people half of it was to pay for your bike ride and only half of it was going to charity?

sc-xc

…and there we have it nmdbase. An articulate and reasoned post.

Can I sponsor you for the full amount? If it gets you out of the country for a while – it will be worth it.

dave56
    Free Member

In this situation if you don’t raise the minimum but still raise enough to cover your costs do you still have to go? If not how do the people who sponsored you get their money back? Or do you have to pay the difference meaning you can be in debt to the BHF?

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure he said he’s checked how much he would have to put in to cover his costs and so isn’t going to do it. Perhaps you couldn’t see that from up there on your high horses.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about raising lots of sponsorship money’ is closed to new replies.