Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • tell me about marzocchi forks
  • norcosix
    Free Member

looking at changing my forks for something lighter. i currently run a set off rock shock totems and was thinking bout a pair off marzocchi 66’s or a pair off fox’s.

The travel needs to be 180mm but i have heard a lot off horror stories with marzocchi’s.

any feedback would be great.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Marzocchi had a bad couple of years – contracted out manufacture or something. Quality control now seems to be good.

Foxzes might have slightly more sophisticated damping and be lighter but needs serviced very often. ‘zocchi is probably more robust and has a 3 yr no servicing require warrenty

I wouldn’t touch fox with a bargepole personally but repairability and longevity counts for a lot for me

norcosix
    Free Member

thanks tandemjeremy. think the zocchi’s are going to be the ones.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

Don’t think 66’s will be any lighter than Totem’s?

flow
    Free Member

Fox Float 36 are the lightest of the bunch. If you look after them they are fine.

People on here can’t even be arsed to wash their bikes, no wonder you hear so many stories of them wearing out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

foxes wear for two reasons – seals that are not tight – low stiction but allow dirt in and very small quantities of lube oil so that the upper bush can run dry.

zocchis use full hydraulic seals so dirt don’t get in and much more oil ( in most). Heavier, more stiction and long life

to me – any mountain bike component that needs serviced ever 15 hrs is simply not up to the tasks.

Other views are available

seanodav
    Free Member

tj+1

jedi

i said years ago i’d never use fox forks again and never will

lewislippiatt
    Free Member

Don’t think 66’s will be any lighter than Totem’s?

True. The SRAM and Marzocchi websites have published weights, and they’re very similar.

Same as TJ, I’d prefer a slightly less sophisticated fork that I don’t have to pull apart to service every other month, so I have 66s on one bike and an RS Pike on the other.

flow
    Free Member

foxes wear for two reasons – seals that are not tight – low stiction but allow dirt in and very small quantities of lube oil so that the upper bush can run dry.

Strange, my foam rings have always been dirt free, and I don’t stick to the service schedule. A decent wash after every is all thats needed (not with a pressure washer)

I have had four pairs since 2009, no problems with any of them, and at one time I was averaging 400 miles a month (don’t make me copy and paste my sportstracker to prove it)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’d be servicing foxes every week or so.
    I do believe they are more responsive and supple – but it comes at a price I am not prepared to pay

Crag
    Free Member

4 pairs in little over 2 years isn’t really a testament to longevity.

Bombers ftw.

norcosix
    Free Member

al have a sleep on it and make a purchase in the morning.

flow
    Free Member

4 pairs in little over 2 years isn’t really a testament to longevity.

On four bikes 🙄

Crag
    Free Member

Whats your point?

flow
    Free Member

Whats your point?

That I didn’t own them for a few months each, obviously.

Crag
    Free Member

So, assuming you’ve ridden all 4 pairs consistently over the last couple of years (which given the service intervals is nigh on impossible), it still begs the question, how is that a test of longevity?

flow
    Free Member

So, assuming you’ve ridden all 4 pairs consistently over the last couple of years (which given the service intervals is nigh on impossible), it still begs the question, how is that a test of longevity?

Considering I averaged roughly 400 miles a month, a damn good one.

Crag
    Free Member

So, 4 pairs of forks, 100 miles a month each – thats what, an average of a couple of hours riding on each a week.

Your really pushing them to the limit aren’t you.

rto
    Free Member

Marzocchi Had a bad period whilst the company was being sold to Tenneco. All Marzocchi forks are now made by SR Suntour, nothing is made in Italy

Article on Marzocchi and SR Suntour

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Marzocchi RC2X bud 2006/7 best forks they made or any in that year…
    Very plush stanchions silky ,shinney & MINT after 5yrs use….
    Easy to service and great all rounders..

FOX very nice,super technical stuff in them,great looks etc BIG BUCKS…

Had my 2006 RC2x for 3 yrs mint as but needed 180mm so gambled on a pair of 2011 Fox36 Vans with coustom FiT cartridge,Float polished inners,Hi-Low speed compression work very well….

Got them at a smashing price tho thats why fella TBH…

flow
    Free Member

So, 4 pairs of forks, 100 miles a month each – thats what, an average of a couple of hours riding on each a week.

Your really pushing them to the limit aren’t you.

I didn’t own them all at once, WTF are you going on about.

A pair of Fox F series for about a year. Some Floats 32’s for roughly 18 months, and some Float 36’s R’s the rest of the time up. All on different bikes.

Just got some Float 32 RLC’s, had them a month so they don’t really count, so call that 3 pairs.

All Marzocchi forks are now made by SR Suntour

Mmmmm, nice.

Back in the day (when they were supposed to be decent) I had a pair of Z2 Bombers. They were shite, suffered from stanction wear and I bent the steerer. I was only 16 at the time too. I still have them in the shed.

rudedog
    Free Member

I had a pair of bomber 33’s from 2009 – I wanted to service them myself but there wasn’t any literature available at all regarding oil volumes etc. I tried to contact Marzocchi which which turned out to be a truly laughable affair so ended up flogging them.

pitduck
    Free Member

fox on four out of five bikes,oldest2002 newest2010 never had issues with servicing just cleaned after every ride.before that had rockshox dukes on 2 bikes and phsylos on the rest and i think all my rockshox spent more time in bits than on trail,wouldn’t have rockshox thrown at me,nasty made of plastic rubbish.marzocchi are nice though 😀

Northwind

One of the golden rules of Marzocchi seem to be to avoid anything with ATA in it…

walleater

You could do an air conversion on the Totems? Synthetic motor oil in the lowers and Slick Honey on the seals and they’d still be pretty plush. The only real lighter option would be Fox 36s (creak creak).

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘tell me about marzocchi forks’ is closed to new replies.