Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me about Last Herbs
  • paul123
    Free Member

Looking to add something to the garage which is capable of some uplifts, lift assisted riding in the Alps (not DH stuff though) which can be pedalled (slowly) up hill.

just wondered what people thought of them and whether the conversion to 180mm “works” and if there are anything to be aware of etc.

cheers

geetee1972
    Free Member

I tested the original one (when it was 140/160, rather than 160/180). It was brilliant but far too heavy to be a trail/AM bike.

It’s still a bit heavy as a 160mm bike; the bare frame without shock comes in around 3.5kg IIRC – but as a 180mm bike it would be about right.

Not sure I can help you much more than that. They always sold a 180 version of it though; it was billed a the Herb FR and was heavier still.

What else are you considering? The Nicolai Ion 16 would fit your bill very well and still be light enough to run as an all day AM bike.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’ve got a small sized 2011 Last Herb FR which is 165mm travel, use it for “DH”, enduro racing, trail centres. DH being Alps DH tracks and here in the UK FoD, Cwm Carn etc.

Its currently built up with bos devilles, hope/flows, reverb, 1×9, hope M4 and comes in at something like 32lbs. pics below. With 2×9, totems and innertubes+200g more per tyre it was more 36lbs.

I really love the suspension action on mine and it eats up medium sized trail chatter/rocks and roots, ramps up and rarely bottoms out which is exactly what I want. It is proper slack at <65° on 160 forks. I do like the look of the geo on the newer 160/180 models, steeper and longer.
    I’ve ridden my frame with 140mm Marz 44 RC3 Ti and also 180mm Totems, with a few rock strikes with the 140’s and the 180 forks suited the trails I was riding in the alps. Only thing I didn’t particularly like about the 180’s was the bar height but suppose it is normal for forks that long? Having used the 160 devilles now though I don’t see the need for 180 forks on 99% of the stuff I ride.
    Bit of weight on the frame – 4.4kg with monarch plus shock and front mech kit.
    I can pedal mine up a hill quickly and its a pretty good pedaller.
    Not sure what else you’ll be riding apart from the Alps? If you describe where else it’d be used I might be able to help more. But yeah for big mountain territory its brilliant.

keeping in mind the newer frames are steeper and longer,
    pro:
    suspension is brilliant for UK trail chatter, roots and the like don’t really exist when riding this frame.
    slack = great for steep terrain and confidence
    stiff rear end! no wobbling around on this thing.
    tough as old boots

con:
    slack = tougher on flat UK technical bits (better on new model)
    a bit short = not great for a long distance ride but fun for a play bike. (better on new model)
    Weight is about 2lbs more than other enduro style frames but then this frame could survive a nuclear war, what are your preferences?

Now that i’m attempting to be more competitive at enduro racing, the 2lbs I could save going to a nukeproof mega style frame would certainly be noticable and its the only reason I wouldn’t buy a 2013 model. For all my other non competitive riding – Afan the wall to Champery DH track I love it.

1:07 in is good,
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP9I0U76OPo[/video]

/edit geetee has given me advice a couple of months ago when I went looking for a frame the same as my herb but lighter and the ion 16 certainly does look to tick all the right boxes. think about that one too!! Haven’t bought as thought I’d keep saving money and see if I get sold on the marketing of 650b this time next year…

geetee1972
    Free Member

DirtBiker the build on you Herb.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Pardon Geetee? is that a request for the parts list? I’m struggling to get a sentence out of that post… 😕

paul123
    Free Member

other things on the list are Intense SS2, Orange Alpine, Ellsworth Moment. the Nicolai looks very nice but too much money.

Not too concerned about the weight as I have something else for longer more XC rides so this would be built to be fun on the downs but mnageable uphill

geetee1972
    Free Member

No sorry DirtBiker – it was a bad edit. I meant to say I love the build!

06awjudd
    Free Member

I would’ve had one If I could afford an extra few hundred £s, ended up getting a 2nd hand five frame, which I am currently building up…
    The Herb looks like it can handle EVERYTHING! Awesome bike imo…

Have you considered a Labyringth Agile? Setup with 160s, it looks like it the sort of thing you’re after.

Northwind

I’ve got a Herb DH… It’s bloody good. Well made, beautifully finished, does everything it should and nothing it shouldn’t. Bizarrely short though- not sure if that carries on over to the smaller models but my medium is shorter than a small 224, and for some reason is far closer to the small than the large.

Only criticism I had was that it was (originally) an expensive frame, but it came with bloody useless top-hat suspension hardware that wore out in no time. Replaced them with proper “heavy duty” thru-axle ones and that sorted it, but you shouldn’t have to on a quality bike.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Last Herbs’ is closed to new replies.