Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Tell me about I Pads pleeeaase?
  • Vortexracing

Looking to buy a ‘tablet’ for just simply surfing the net.

Saves keep using the main PC at home and allows me to browse in any room.

Only want to surf/browse, no gaming or fancy photo stuff.

Is the I pad 2 @ 16gb any good, or should I be looking at other makes and sizes ie Galaxy etc?

Ta

Chucky

Dino
    Free Member

do you have any other apple kit etc..
    lots of options but prob comes down to price & what opertating system you like O.S or Android etc..

captain-slow
    Free Member

if it really is browsing only the ipad is probably quite an expensive solution

although it will ceratinly do the job

helsbels
    Free Member

Or a Chromebook if you like Google (alot)?

trail_rat
    Free Member

just browsing …. the kindle fire does that fairly well and is cheap.

its about the only thing it does ok.

its still nto as good as an ipad at it though 😉

madhouse

We love ours and the laptop’s have very little use since we got it, we’re in the Apple eco-system so it was the obvious choice. Personally I’d have an iPad over the rest simply because it does what it does better than the rest.

There are plenty of other options available and all will surf the web just as well I expect.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Have to agree with trail rat. MrsMitch bought me a kindle fire to stop me nicking her ipad, and it’s ok, but it’s not an ipad. With regards to the OP, the 16gb’s fine.

Vortexracing

only other apple kit is an i pod, the rest are windows based pc or netbook.

I don’t mind spending a bit more if the I pad is worth it.

grum
    Free Member

Apple stuff is great as long as you are happy to do stuff the Apple way – they don’t tend to be that flexible (eg you can’t just plug in a USB hard drive), but they do what they do very well. I have Apple TV too and they play very nicely together.

Personally I’d get one with the ‘retina’ screen if I was buying now, but I’m very happy with my one that doesn’t.

yossarian
    Free Member

i’d go for an ipad mini. Plenty big enough for internet and films etc and a fair bit lighter and cheaper than one of its big brothers.

wrecker
    Free Member

Kindle fire?
    My friends seems pretty good and they are lots cheaper than an ipad.

M6TTF
    Free Member

keep in mind ipad 2 is getting on a bit – id imagine the next ios release will slow it down considerably. ipad V1 is becoming a paper weight now as some of the newer apps wont install as theyre not compatible

M6TTF
    Free Member

kindle fire is good, but the OS is crippled by Kindle – having played with one and a Google Nexus, the Nexus wins hands down in my opinion

hora
    Free Member
    stumpy01

Google Nexus 7 or 10 is supposed to be less ‘tied in’ than the Kindle Fire and is a fair chunk cheaper than the iPad.
    As I understand it, the Kindle Fire is very tied into Amazon.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nexus 7 or 10 would be my choice.
    I’ve got an iPad and its good, but not worth the extra money over a well sorted android tablet IMO.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve had an ipad 3, a Galaxy Note 10.2 and a nexus 7 in the last year or so.

The ipad lasted about a month before I gave it to the mrs and replaced it with the galaxy. The galaxy lasted about 4 hours before I sent it back to tesco and replaced it with the nexus and the nexus is now several months old and imo a much better device than either of the previous two.

Pigface
    Free Member

Bought an i pad mini 3 weeks ago, great bit of kit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You want to browse some websites? Get something simple and cheap. Even the nexus is probably over kill for that.

hora
    Free Member

Shirley at £159 though its bang on buck Mike??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably but I was poking a little fun there….

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I pad mini user here. I read billions of reviews and watched tons of online videos before plumping for this. Just like you, I wanted something for Internet based consumption. The ipad mini not only does all this extremely well but is gorgeous to use too. And I am normally a committed pc fan.

I am also finding that I am using my ipad mini as a radio and tv a lot more than I expected. It is a lifesaver for doing the washing up to. Ok, it’s a bit more cash than the nexus, fire, etc. but its sooooo worth it.

I am so happy with mine I would not sell it back for twice the price.

hora
    Free Member

Hi Matt- I’d agree but I’m buying a tablet as a pressie 8)

FuzzyWuzzy

Right now I’d go with a Nexus 7 for what you need, if you can wait a few months (likely November) then the iPad Mini 2 should be the dog’s danglies – will be pricey though.

stufive
    Free Member

we use ours every day without fail for all sorts of things, also have iphone and imac and apple tv everything works well together, as pricy as they are and also as said above you have to do everything the apple way! but they are brilliant at what they do

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I got a HP Touchpad (when they had the firesale) and I hated it – the screen wasn’t ‘clicky’ and it just didn’t feel joined up.

I love my iPad retina – it is a whole world apart.

Not tried a Kindle or Android tablet to compare against though.

Vortexracing

Cheers Hora that Nexus looks OK, so as per usual STW, we have no definitive winner. 🙄

looks like I have to do some more searching, keep the views and opinions coming please.

jam-bo

It is a lifesaver for doing the washing up to.

Which app is that?

vondally
    Free Member

simply surfing net

blackberry playbook 64gb ……..cheap

has loads of nay sayers but i use it for

surfing net
    ebooks
    videos
    music from i tunes on pc

pretty bloody good nicer screen than i pad and better sound

choices………..

shermer75
    Free Member

+1 iPad mini

captain-slow
    Free Member

feedback on kindle fire hd as others have raised it – i have one – hardware is brilliant, especially screen, and if you really only want to surf the web it will be fine. oh and the price is very good.

but you will soon find yourself doing other things with your tablet and like me you will feel restricted by amazon’s view of the world

get an android tablet from someone else and you will be much happier

get an apple ipad mini if you are into that whole ecosystem. I’m not.

AdamW
    Free Member

The hp slate7 has just come out @ £129. It’s only 8GB but has an SSD slot. Android-based.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have an Ipad, it’s handy for quickly looking something up, using as a Kindle or being lazy & watching something on TVCatchup in bed, but it certainly doesn’t replace the laptop for proper web browsing & typing.

It’s a pain to interact with though. Safari is crap & still flash video’s don’t work?

I didn’t pay for it & having now used one, if I was in a position to, I probably wouldn’t bother.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Had an iPad mini for a few weeks now. I love it, much prefer it to the kids’ iPads mainly because it’s much lighter and therefore easier to use one handed. Rarely use the laptop now.

I get why people don’t like Apple but as we have a fair few of their products in the house we’ve inadvertently got sucked in to their ecosystem; for all it’s limitations it’s pretty damn good in the main.

Cougar

I’m about to be selling a 16Gb iPad 2 if second-hand (perfect nick) is any interest to you?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I’m about to be selling a 16Gb iPad 2 if second-hand (perfect nick) is any interest to you?

OI! Put it in the Classifieds! 😉

Vortexracing

Couger YHM

and CFH, it’s obviously a privelage of rank 😉

Google I/O is next month and the new nexus 7 should be announced, I’d wait to see what happens there if I were you. Some think the original will get a price drop as well.

Cougar

OI! Put it in the Classifieds!

What’s the point of putting something in classifieds that I’m going to be selling? Better to wait until I’m actually selling it though, no?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about I Pads pleeeaase?’ is closed to new replies.