Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 261 total)
  • TdF Stage 18 – Sporting Stakes [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Anyone who knows anything about the Tour de France recognises that this climb is one that ignites the passions of the fans perhaps more than any other. It is the site of the first mountain top finish of the race and it is destined to have a significant impact on the race.

As early as the Grand Départ in Corsica riders were talking about trying to ensure that they had energy to spare for stage 18. The contest begins early with another trip up the col de Manse (as used at the end of stage 16) before the journey to Isère were riders will be either climbing or descending. We’ve seen enough of Alberto Contador’s antics already to know that he has not yet conceded defeat to Chris Froome and now that the Spaniard is up to second overall, with his team-mate Roman Kreuziger in third, he’s going to be more inspired than ever.

Froome is such a boss right now.

Interesting to see Evans just cruise round – did he lose time on purpose to perhaps go for a stage win, or did I miss something?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZcgh2dt1w[/video]

Photos from Stage 17

Today will be amazing. Rain forecasted, and the descent down the back of Alpe d’Huez was pretty hairy last time I did it, I’m really hoping they’ve resurfaced – there were ditches.

Froome, Quintana, Contador? All seem to have a chance to win it, up until the final few k when Froome puts it in the bag.. But maybe a break will get away.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

Everything stays the same, Ro5ey’s Roulers by andy rose at the top in the fantasy league, Time to do some crashing at the bottom in the loser league.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rolland-gives-up-on-the-tour-de-france-polka-dot-jerseygoing to try his hand at sucking at something else now…

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peraud-crashes-out-of-the-tour-de-francesometimes it’s just not your day, did look nasty

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-shorts-fuglsangs-wrong-turn-more-from-meyerfeeling quite sorry for Pinot, hope he bounces back

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/the-anatomy-of-the-chaseinsights from Robert Millar again

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Booked half a day off work for this one.

Murray

WFH for me so much the same! Thanks realMan for putting these together.

psling
    Free Member

This is the big one today; after the Pyrenees ‘morning after the day before’ Sky performance it will be interesting to see how much Froome’s support team took it easy yesterday and how much he is attacked by other GC contenders’ teams today.
    The descent is only too dangerous if you’re going too fast! Bring on the excitement!!
    It’ll be pretty much all over by tonight… 8)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Looking forward to this one. If I didn’t have so much work to do I wouldn’t have minded a day off with some beer and TdF action myself.

shifter
    Free Member

Interesting to see Evans just cruise round

He’s been amazingly “off form” this tour.

Going to be an epic today, can’t wait!

wors

Is there anywhere that tells you the total amount of climbing on each stage?

Looking forward to this too!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Interesting to see Evans just cruise round – did he lose time on purpose to perhaps go for a stage win, or did I miss something?

Well he is certainly managing to avoid any kind of performance enhancing supplement questions. My guess is he won’t be back next year, certainly not with BMC – which may mean they won’t sell any more bikes down here in Oz. There is a chance porte may overtake him the way he is going.

scaredypants

Interesting to see Evans just cruise round
    He’s been amazingly “off form” this tour

Simple explanation: He’s in my velogames team 🙄 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

off for a morning ride & then back in time for the show, can’t wait!

speckledbob
    Free Member

Far too busy at work today to take any time off. This is the stage of the tour. Highlights only for me which absolutely will not do it justice. Froome is showing no sign of weekness but Berties is also strong and will attack like mad of course.
    Don’t no what Evans was doing yesterday. He seemed to be putting in very little effort. Can’t see him winning today but maybe hoping everyone will wear themselves out so he can go for it tomorrow.

Stoner
    Free Member

Off to FOD for a ride, then back for lunch and plonk in front of a great stage. Cant wait.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Well if everyone is skiving this afternoon I’d better join you 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Ooops

brakes
    Free Member

I have to WFH today unfortunately and my TV is stuck on Eurosport. Such a shame. 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Going to check out the ‘fan zone’ at canary wharf, anyone been?

peteimpreza

Booked the day off work last October when the route was announced!

I think the Eurosport coverage starts at 10:45!!!

Off to check now and then go for a ride.

yossarian
    Free Member

At work today but blatantly watching anyway 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

Gutted I’m missing this…I’m in France too!!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Evans is cooked from the Giro.

Froome for the win

With criket and the golf also on, there’s no chance of getting the TdF up on the screens over looking the dealing room here…. Not necessarily bad thing… city w***ers

And I’m out to lunch so I don’t care … city w****r 😆

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’m at work, but ready for this afternoons fun 8)

brakes
    Free Member

awwww, you’ve named your wonky football after Philippe

tinsy
    Free Member

I thought that… Not sure I am taking TDF seriously enough, next year I am taking the day off for this one too.

CaptJon
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB – Member
    I’m at work, but ready for this afternoons fun

My officemate thinks i’m working on some really complex stuff as i’ve plugged a second screen into my computer. Little does she know it is dedicated to Tour de France and Ashes coverage.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve got an epic ride planned this afternoon/evening as the weather is spot-on for a little adventure… watching the stage will have to wait.

I’m sure it will be worth watching the highlights later… but not worth missing an epic ride for.

Houns

What time do they go up the big hill?

Hopefully it’ll coincide with lunch/tea at the cricket so I may flick over for a few minutes (depends if there’s anyone worth watching on course at that time at the Open)

peteimpreza

Yep Eurosport starts at 10:45.

warton
    Free Member

bollocks, I’m at work, and then have to go into town to get a few things for festival this weekend….

I’m going for Contador to win, not by much, definitely not enough to make a difference

brakes
    Free Member

Hopefully it’ll coincide with lunch/tea at the cricket so I may flick over for a few minutes

you seem to have forgotten that cricket is awful and cycling is the greatest sport on earth

asterix
    Free Member

got to watch thisavo – riding tonight during the highlights 😀

tomhoward

Are ITV showing it live online? *crosses fingers*

asterix
    Free Member

itv4 maybe

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Breakaway to head up the road and gain a fairly big gap only to be caught 1/2 up the 2nd ascent of Alpe D’Huez as the favourites start attacking. Contador to launch many attacks up get dropped after a Froome counter. Froome to gift the win to Quintanna who will get dropped then claw his way back to Froomes wheel.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If they’re not, check out the live coverage section on steephill.tv. Loads of links to coverage including Eurosport and a load of French and Dutch stuff.

tang
    Free Member

Day off, wife away, the one child that I would have had to pick up at 3 is ill, bike build in the living room, its hot and I’m in my shorts only. Thursdays don’t get much better(not wishing illness on my daughter, but she has done well to choose today to have a massive sore throat). Quintana FTW with Froome right behind and contador dropped please.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Froome to gift a win…. no chance !!

He’s a real Jekyll and Hyde charater.

Softly spoken and mild mannered off the bike. Put him on one though and he’s a monster, that doesn’t give anyone an inch to anyone

I like it. 😈

warton
    Free Member

download tv catchup on your phone (if you have a smartphone)

press itv 4

sit at desk, with earphones in

sorted

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ll have to make do with listening to it on the Beeb website…our net nanny kills the TV feeds (bastards).

WFH tomorrow though so I’ll be flicking between the cricket and Tour coverage.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

she has done well to choose today to have a massive sore throat).

LOL

Bet she just so happened to clear her throat with little cough this morn aye?

😆

tomhoward

download tv catchup on your phone (if you have a smartphone) check

press itv 4 check

sit at desk, with earphones in Will have to get some cheapies at luchtime, or do without, not the end of the world….

sorted Winner! I assume it will cane my data allowance though? I am prepared for this….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 261 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 18 – Sporting Stakes [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.