Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tapered steerers in 1"1/8th head tubes
  • nixie

Just read this article regarding a cane creek headset that allows tapered steerer forks in 1″1/8th head tubes. Has anyone done this? I’m slightly confused as to what type of head tube the frame needs to have for it to work? Am I right in saying its the type that uses a pressed in headset that’s invisible (semi integrated) and that it won’t work with a traditional head tube.

Liftman

Yup, you need a zero stack head tube.

wwaswas

yes.

I think my Giant NRS woudl cope as it has an internal headset, but anythign with external cups now won’t.

I nearly bought one of the CRC sale taper forks on the back of this headset becoming available.

backhander
    Free Member

44mm headtube, not 1 &1/8 standard.
    Very confusing.

andyl
    Free Member

Yup you got it, you need a 44mm ID headtube which you find in frames fitted with zero stack headsets – ie the bearings sit withing the headtube (but still in cups).

Normal 1 1/8th steerer frames are smaller than this and use external cups so are not compatible.

nixie

oh well, neither of mine are any good then 🙁

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure this will do the same thing:

z1ppy

N_E_D errr no that reads to be true 1.5 headtube headset abet to fit tapered forks, with a 49mm inner measurement, unlike those above which fit a 44mm inner.

http://blog.sidewayscycles.co.uk/2011/03/25/1-5-steerer-integrated-headset/

backhander
    Free Member

I only know because I have a new 5 spot. Identifying and getting the correct HS was a nightmare. So much terminology and contradictions. Headsets are a real minefield and I couldn’t find a decent guide anywhere.

sssimon
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure this will do the same thing:

that’s for a 49.6 head tube, not the 44mm they are talking about

sparkerfix
    Munqe-chick
    Free Member

given nukeproof pedals are re-badged HT industries, what the betting thats a re-badged cane creek headset

jonnyvegas
    Free Member
    sparkerfix

Worth a go. You’ll have to wait till august time if you want a pukka Chris King inset 7. That CRC. one’s for 49mm headtube mate.

T1000
    Free Member

nope this is the one you want for a 44mm headtube

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60615

T1000
    Free Member

only downside to the nukeproof one is the lower cup had an insert of 20mm took 5 mins to cut down …. working a treat in my iron horse

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tapered steerers in 1"1/8th head tubes’ is closed to new replies.