Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • tapered 29er fork / frame compatibility…..
  • monkeyboyjc

so i’m looking for a 29er frame to buy in the next 2 months or so…

must haves are:

* 100mm fork compatability (fork axle to crown of 440-450mm)
    * tapered head tube or 44mm (to run carbon forks like a set of whiskey parts no7’s)
    * single speed compatability (horizontal/sliding dropouts or EBB)
    * and be sub £400 frame only

Is it just me or do all of the 29er frames that are being released at the moment which have tapered headtubes are for 120mm + forks and are being put in the hardcore set.
    where are the standard xc bikes, the only one’s i can think of are either carbon and cost 1k+ (which i cant afford) or made by onone, arn’t there any other options?

Sam

100mm travel fork compatibility means more like 470mm.

I’m not aware of anything which fits all your other criteria.

edit: just realised they have a tapered HT – On One Scandal’s gotta be your best bet.

Gotama
    Free Member

Can you put a 100mm fork on an On One Scandal 29er or will it screw up the geometry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scud
    Free Member

Scandal is designed for 80-100mm, i’m running mine with 120mm and angleset and love it.
    £299, but could not tell you fork axle to crown length.

Stoner
    Free Member

chumba hx2 meets all those
    http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/chumba_hx2/

…and for a change someone else gets to link it before progressive_si does 😉

druidh
    Free Member

scud – Member
    Scandal is designed for 80-100mm, i’m running mine with 120mm and angleset and love it.

Did you try it without the angleset?

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I have a Scandal running a Niner fork which is 470mm AtoC and handles brilliantly.

monkeyboyjc

the scandal and chumba are the only two i can think of as well – sorry guys, but the scandal is a little too…. erm, common. The chumba looks good on paper – and to be honest its in my top three at the mo, might have to get around to emailing progressive to get a bit more info.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Ah yes common it is but there is a reason for that…it is damn hard to beat for the coin.

monkeyboyjc

true – tbh every thing i look at leads me back to a singular swift (it was the frame i tried too).

in this kinda way….

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Do the Swifts have tapered headtubes now?…please say no the Scandal is only one ride old

speaker2animals

Cotic Simple though may be £500 all but a quid?

monkeyboyjc

swifts dont have tapered headtubes – it’d mean saveing a little more for a niner fork or poss using a Hylix.

The Cotic is desgined for 120-140mm forks, not the lower rigids.

goot
    Free Member

I have the Chumba HX2 in Medium ( i am 6′) running with 100mm fox F32, standard 1 1/8 steerer with an adapter.

could have maybe stretched to a large as i have ALOT of post out, but the bike handles nice. Keep clipping my heels on the seat/chain stays though.

Get one, its a good talking point as not many around…..

S

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Slightly over budget(you may get it cheaper elsewhere) but this:

Scott Scale 29 Elite

For pure VFM, I would get a Scandal though

kelvin

The Cotic is desgined for 120-140mm forks, not the lower rigids.

Nope. More like… “Minimum 80mm travel forks or 470mm rigids. Handles great with 100mm sus forks, strong enough for up to 120mm travel.”
    (taken from here : cotic.co.uk/product/simple )

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

But the Cotic Simple is a 26″ bike ??

Clink

But the Cotic Simple is a 26″ bike ??

Not any more!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Blinkin heck, how did that slip under the radar!!

monkeyboyjc

now that slipped complety under the radar….. i thought you were talking about the Solaris.

mmmm, now thats a major contender…

horible colour – but you cant have everything i supose.

Sam

Contemplating 44mm HT on the next run of Swifts, or maybe tapered… But I’m still not convinced tapered steerer forks will take over as some think they might… How many forks are really available only in tapered? AFAICS only those which are quite AM oriented – for which I’ll soon have the Buzzard.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

horible colour

Agree there, Simple yellow would have been nice.

Clink

Contemplating 44mm HT on the next run of Swifts, or maybe tapered… But I’m still not convinced tapered steerer forks will take over as some think they might… How many forks are really available only in tapered? AFAICS only those which are quite AM oriented – for which I’ll soon have the Buzzard.

Can you buy a RS 29er fork now with 15/20mm axle that isn’t tapered though?

monkeyboyjc

Hi Sam – examples of tapered only carbon forks…

It seems that the only forks in this style you can get with a standard 1&1/8 steerer are niner and Hylix.

kaiser
    Free Member

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘tapered 29er fork / frame compatibility…..’ is closed to new replies.