Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Talk to me about…….Living in/near Dublin
  • hopefiendboy

Getting an interview in Dublin this coming week, and as I have onl ever been to the city centre for drinks and a conference, does anyone have a real – life view of living in this city?

It would be with a family, 2 kids under age of 8. Salary is OK (just under double what I earn here).

Your comments appreciated!!

CHeers

Rainmaker
    Free Member

Have lived in Dublin City – myself and my wife are natives. Great place to go out in and loads to do. We moved out when kids were small but know plenty who live near the city with children quite happily. Would suggest close by 'suburbs' such as Phibsboro (Northside) eg Shandon area if you want to live close to City eg 5 mins cycle. Or Glasnevin area (Northside again). The Northside is cheaper accomodation-wise and if you pick your area carefully is really nice. The Old Cabra road is another consideration. All these suggestions are near to either the Phoenix Park (Biggest city park in Europe – great for walking/cycling/zoo) or Botanic Gardens. Good schools also.

Southside more upmarket but more expensive. Good luck with the interview.

Hohum
    Free Member

Property prices should be back to normal after their recent economic collapse as well.

They seemed to have survived austerity measures (there was a lot of grumbling about it) as well. Probably a good place to be to experience the next economic upturn.

albino
    Free Member

From a kids point of view I grew up in Greystones, (about 20miles south of Dublin) and it was great. Right on the beach(s), easy access to Wicklow hills, DART into Dublin, good(ish) rugby team & good schools. Mind you that was in the early 80s and things have changed plenty since then, but it is generally considered a good commuter area for families to live in.
    Good luck!

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

The Phoenix is the biggest "walled park within a city" in Europe, or somesuch.
    I really like Dublin. I think the quality of live to work balance there is really good. You can work central, live out a bit and still have a short commute if you're sensible. I've found Irish people really quick to adapt too, so you can see a change in people since the downturn (more people cycling, being more sensible with money, but still good fun, etc)
    Hairychested would be a good man to ask, he moved out recently…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I used to live in Dalkey, great place about 20mins south of Dublin..
    Great pubs & resteraunts…
    Easy to commute thanks to the Dart..
    And, yeah, all in all a decent little spot..

I'd go back.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I was born there, moved away, came back and lived there for 10 years: pluses and minuses.

Brother is still there now with kids.

IF, big If, you live near the dart / tram (luas)commuting is is fine. Driving is worse than London(some folk I know drive 90 mins each way from the suburbs). Schools can have a long waiting list, ther's no standard medical cover really (join vhi/bupa and expect to pay top dollar). Theres no real mountain biking apart from a few specific bits. Salaries are
    higher but the cost of most things is way WAY higher than the uk. EG food(1.5x, drink (2x), car insurance (3x), car purchase 2x, ……).

You will prabably have a great time but its as expensive as somewhere like Italy (eg a pizza in dublin is dearer then in the best place in rome), and your kids have to be driven everywhere. If you and your wife are working you are probably not entitled to ANY health care (car crash, dentist emergency, pregnancy….). You can get vhi but when it comes to claim ypre in for more shit and stress than any insurance you ever had to deal with.

To us that's a ball breaker. We grew up with that reigem so it not so mad to us, but to folk that didnt its a real hassle.

Any questions, get in touch. Slainte!

MrNutt
    Free Member

d4dog

Rainmaker
    Free Member

Couldashouldwoulda, your quote 'Theres no real mountain biking apart from a few specific bits' should read 'Theres no real trail centre' mountain biking apart from a few specific bits. There is a vibrant club scene here with lots of organised spins. The racing is quite good too with more events being organised than ever.

fitwit3
    Free Member

'Theres no real mountain biking apart from a few specific bits' ????

I've lived here for 6 years, the best thing about the place is how close it is to a massive variety of really good biking, just that its all built by locals so you have to know where to go (join a club).
    Live on the southside if you want to bike, I can ride to the city centre in 10 mins, mountains 20 mins, sea 15 mins.
    Kids mtb scene has been lacking but is just taking off too with a lot of work being done to get them interested.
    It is pretty expensive to live but rent prices have come down a lot recently. Drop me an email if you need any specific advice…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about…….Living in/near Dublin’ is closed to new replies.