• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ton.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Talk to me about elecric bikes…..
  • wombat

A friend’s wife is seriously considering getting an electric bike for a 6 mile comute over hilly but fireroad smooth terrain.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I know there have been a number of threads about this but the search function hasn’t revealed any 😳

I suspect that this will lead on to the purchase of a non electric bike (for which I’m happy to advise) so I consider this to be a gateway bike 😉

convert

My father (who is not in great shape) bought a Kalkhoff electric bike a couple of years ago. Nicely made if slightly weirdly sized thing with quality kit – but at a serious price.

My wife has used it to ride with me and its been surprisingly good at narrowing the difference between us. They weight a lot (I mean a proper lot – 45-50lbs) so when the battery is not engaged it’s hard work but if you contribute reasonably too the battery lasts a long way.

For the right sort of person, who just wouldn’t or plain couldn’t MTFU and ride the journey with a normal bike they are a great compromise. They can be used to flattened out lumpy terrain or make sure in a commute environment you can wear normal clothes and arrive without being clammy. When I was in Holland recently a couple of bike retailers I spoke to said they were out selling in terms of numbers normal bikes in their shops.

Would I have one – hell no! But for the right person doing the right thing they are great.

Since he purchased his a few more main stream UK known brands such as Giant and Trek have come into the market and might be worth a look.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There is a new Specialized electric bike coming out:

Specialized Turbo e-bike shakes things up

I mean a proper lot – 45-50lbs

that’s only the same as a Boris bike…

convert

that’s only the same as a Boris bike…

Yes – but a boris bike is designed for the flat streets of London and didn’t cost £2.5K!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

That Specialized bike will not be released in the UK , it’s too fast to be legal as a bike . 15MPH maximum assisted speed is what’s allowed not 28 .

wombat

Thanks for the replies guys.

That Spesh looks very smart but will be out of budget I suspect…

wwaswas

Ton had one I think? Cost about £2k, though.

Ben Kinetic used to do a lot of that type of stuff.

ton

still got mine, and looking to invest in a proper offroad capable one.
    mine is a kalkhoff pro connect disc model. cost me £2k.
    comes with a alfine rear hub, deore discs and a crappy pair of 24 spoked wheels and a crappy set of suntour forks.
    rear hub was swapped by 50cycles for a 32 hole version so i got some proper tough wheels built. forks were ditched for a set of singular 29r forks, and now the bike is ace.
    furthest i have ridden on a charge is 60 miles, when i weighed about 21stone.
    a normal sized person (10 to 14 stone) would get 80 miles from a charge.
    it is heavy but it is very well made.
    3 settings on the power assist, setting 2 was fine for hills in the lakes and dales.
    setting 3 got me up and over rooley moor road and salter fell.

i may be interested in selling mine to buy a new more costly £3k offroader.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about elecric bikes…..’ is closed to new replies.