Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Talk to me about anti virus programs
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I’ve always used AVG for my internet security an was due to upgrade to the new version when I wondered;

What Would Singletrack Do?

What else is there thats worth considering?

donsimon
    Free Member

MSE

schrickvr6
    Free Member

MSE + MBAM

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

MSE

davcow
    Free Member

I still use AVG 2012.

MSE is meant to be very good, but haven’t tried it myself.

stayhigh

MSE’s not bad then eh 😉

Whats MBAM?

donsimon
    Free Member

MBAM, probably best you Google it yourself so you don’t get the Spanish version.

stayhigh

there goes my multi lingual aspirations for the evening lol

I’ve downloaded both so will go and have a play 🙂

cheez0
    Free Member

who’s your internet provider?

Some may do free AV. I know BT does, coz I got it.

Del

mse again. low overhead. seems to do what it’s supposed to.

mboy
    Free Member

[work mode]Norton 360 is currently only £22 at PC World for a years subscription![/work mode]

MSE + MBAM probably does the same job, or better, and is less resource hungry, and it’s free! Don’t tell my boss though… 😉

That said I’m a Mac guy through and through!

matt_outandabout

MSE works here, faster than AVG did and not had any issues, although in a good few years of surfing I have only ever had a couple of issues with virus / malware, and both after visitors to home used PC.
    I think surfing habits have more to do with it….

GrahamS

Avast!

Free + lower impact and better virus detecting than MSE.

tragically1969
    Free Member

[work mode][cripple pc mode]Norton 360 is currently only £22 at PC World for a years subscription![/cripple pc mode][/work mode]

FTFY………

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Would prefer to rebuild my pc after every virus rather tha use norton, it caused me no end of problems at work. Nod32 is pretty good.

hammyuk
    Free Member

F-Secure – way cheaper and invisible.
    5+yrs and not a single virus.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

F-Secure

way cheaper than free?

(ditched AVG for MSE a year or so ago, combined that would be 12+ years and not a single virus, and not a single penny paid out for them either)

Northwind

MSE has worked well for me too.

Ages since I used Norton… when I did have it, I thought it had let a virus through as the PC was chronically slow and unresponsive. Turned out, it was just Norton.

Cougar

MSE is the correct answer. Just make sure you completely remove AVG first.

GrahamS

Do folk rate MSE over Avast! then?

Not tried MSE, but Avast tends to score a lot higher on the http://www.av-comparatives.org/ tests of performance and detection.

Anyone tried both themselves?

stanfree
    Free Member

MSE and Malware Bytes both free.

donsimon
    Free Member

Unless Avast has changed, which is possible in the last couple of years, it used to make my computer run sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooowly that it was more trouble than it was worth. Things may have changed, of course.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Things may have changed

I can’t do a great deal whilst it’s downloading updates, which it seems to do with irritant regularity, winds me right up. But I can’t fault it’s protection – not had one single problem since using it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

MSE here. It’s very good. I also use Sophos too and MWB on a weekly basis.

druidh
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Do folk rate MSE over Avast! then?

Not tried MSE, but Avast tends to score a lot higher on the http://www.av-comparatives.org/
    2009 product of the year – Symantec.

Aye, right!

cheez0
    Free Member

MSE

built by same people who built the bloody dodgy operating system in the first place?

my confidence is not inspired

Drac

Avast used it for the last 7 or 8 years and it’s never slowed my PCs down.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I was running Avast on my old computer. When I swapped the files to my new computer running MSE, it found 3 viruses/malware which Avast hadn’t spotted.

Liking MSE a lot.

GrahamS

Unless Avast has changed, which is possible in the last couple of years, it used to make my computer run sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooowly

Never noticed any slowdown from it here (2GB 32bit netbook and 8GB 64bit desktop, both fairly old).
    YMMV I guess, but it according to AV Comparatives it slows their PCs down a lot less than some, including MSE.

I can’t do a great deal whilst it’s downloading updates, which it seems to do with irritant regularity, winds me right up.

Regular updates is a good thing in an anti-virus IME.
    Doesn’t it just do it in the background then say “Virus database has been updated”?

GrahamS

I was running Avast on my old computer. When I swapped the files to my new computer running MSE, it found 3 viruses/malware which Avast hadn’t spotted.

May not mean much (depending on what it actually found). Avast is anti-virus not anti-malware, and most anti-malwares report non-issues like “tracking cookies”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Doesn’t it just do it in the background then say “Virus database has been updated”?

Yes it does but every grinds to a halt whilst it’s doing it. And it’s randomly throughout the day, wouldn’t be too bad if it was just once a day at a specified time – I could at least accommodate for it.

Cougar

MSE

built bought by same people who built the bloody dodgy operating system in the first place?

my confidence is not inspired

FTFY.

As I understand it, a big chunk of MSE is the old (well regarded) Giant Antispyware and, er, something else I can’t remember.

In what way is the OS dodgy?

Doesn’t necessarily imply that the latter is better, just different. You potentially could’ve removed MSE and installed Avast! and had a similar experience. You’re comparing the effectiveness of one AV to the effectiveness of two.

GrahamS

Yes it does but every grinds to a halt whilst it’s doing it. And it’s randomly throughout the day, wouldn’t be too bad if it was just once a day at a specified time – I could at least accommodate for it.

Hmm.. that’s odd. It has no discernible effect on mine while updating. 😕

You can change how often it tries to update and whether to auto-update or just prompt you in the Settings. That might help.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Kasperski

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’d also recommend Spybot S&D for the immunization feature which will update your hosts file and block blacklisted malicious websites.

I stopped using AVG when the poxy safe search rubbish started hijacking google and offering half a page of sponsered links, a pig to get rid of as well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You can change how often it tries to update and whether to auto-update or just prompt you in the Settings. That might help.

Thanks, I’ve asked for a prompt – couldn’t hack it any longer.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about anti virus programs’ is closed to new replies.