Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • "Tactical" torches…
  • rkk01
    Free Member

I keep seeing FB adds for these, various brands, all seemingly over-priced…

Presumably they’re nothing special and the large price tags are just a scam compared to £20-40 LED torches?

So – what’s worth looking at (price and lumens…?)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Has Maglite gone out of business then?

footflaps

WTF is a ‘Tactical Torch’?

Harry_the_Spider

Like a normal torch but with the word “tactical” written on the box. Costs a bit more too.

Cougar

An essential part of your EDC, next to your Bowie knife and your Colt .45

z1ppy

BUT you need to buy one, before it’s BANNED BY THE GOVERNMENT!!!

binners

In the case of torches, if the bouncers I used to work with are correct, the word ‘tactical’ means ‘can also double up as an instrument that can used be used to beat someone to death with’

Which is handy, because you can then use it for its ‘proper’ purpose as you dispose of the body in a shallow grave on the moors later that evening

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why do you want one?

martinhutch

My stepdad used to be so proud of his Maglite. Said that he didn’t really need that and his truncheon. 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s been recommended by police forces world wide since the invention of the Maglite D cell…….

BigDummy
    Free Member

Tactical – adj: Having a large number of pockets.

martinhutch

Tictacal -adj

Popping in a mint in readiness for a quick sexual assault.

jimslade
    Free Member

I’ve got a Maglite PRO LED takes two AA cells, It’s got a CREE LED and cost about £20 (TK MAXX, they had loads) it’s very good. I only use it for walking the dogs though, not sure if that’s considered “tactical”. I will say anything brighter would be a bit pointless, it’s nearly as powerful as my dodgy Chinese Magicshine knock-offs.

rickmeister

EDC.. ?
    Electric Daisy Carnival ?

somouk
    Free Member

Me and several of my friends have LED Lensers which has been excellent in all sorts of rubbish conditions. Make sure you go for something that runs on standard batteries so you can replace them no matter where in the world you may find yourself.

stevied
    Free Member

It’s an enduro torch.. 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

With the advances in battery technology, you now do not need a massive long tube to contain the batteries, you can get a small torch that will fit in the palm of your hand.

You then have more space to carry a knife/machete if you need to kill folk.

P-Jay
    Free Member

somouk – Member

Me and several of my friends have LED Lensers which has been excellent in all sorts of rubbish conditions. Make sure you go for something that runs on standard batteries so you can replace them no matter where in the world you may find yourself.

Dam straight, last time I was air droped into sub saharan africa to do some ‘work’ I was disapointed to find the local tribesmen were unable to sell me the ‘Gucci’ batteries for my Technical Torch.

No wait, no actually none of those things actually happened. I had an outside light fitted for when I have to put the bins out and a mini maglite if I need to see things as night away from my house.

maccruiskeen

I only use it for walking the dogs though, not sure if that’s considered “tactical”

You’re a real man of action

“undressed action man with gripping hands”
    it was alright in the 70s I guess

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Funnily enough in my years of doing various ‘tactical’ stuff with the military I have never heard of ‘right lads, we are going tactical, break out your torches’

Mystery!

Jakester
    Free Member

Is it as opposed to ‘strategic’ torches – presumably the former allows you to illuminate things at close range, whilst the latter casts a broader light over the whole area?

footflaps

An essential part of your EDC, next to your Bowie knife and your Colt .45 [/quote]

OK, WTF is an EDC?

Funnily enough in my years of doing various ‘tactical’ stuff with the military I have never heard of ‘right lads, we are going tactical, break out your torches’

You weren’t in the STW Special Forces then 😉

crazy-legs

A way of adding £15 to the price.

binners

presumably the former allows you to illuminate things at close range, whilst the latter casts a broader light over the whole area?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXypyrutq_M[/video]

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s a torch made to appeal to the masses of apparently grown men that have some kind of military/survivalist fetish. It’s just the tip of the iceberg though, If you really want to explore the world of emotionally juvenile weirdness that this sort of stuff leads into have a quick search for “everyday carry”

leffeboy

See also ‘technical fabrics’

footflaps

If you really want to explore the world of emotionally juvenile weirdness that this sort of stuff leads into have a quick search for “everyday carry”

well I always make sure I have a clean tissue before I leave the house in the morning, does that count as ‘tactical’?

crankboy
    Free Member

tactical torch= cheap Chinese led value £6 + photos stolen from a hobbyists web page (think Trout) plus gullibility .

Google the claimed lumen value the words led torch and you come up with exactly the same item for £6 sometimes in a truly tactical camo finish.

perchypanther
    Free Member

There’s an ad at the top of this page, as I type, for one which says….

“Forget buying a gun… This could blind a bear.”

Maybe it’s just me, but if I were faced with an enraged, recently blinded bear, i’d be wishing i’d remembered to buy a gun.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

well I always make sure I have a clean tissue before I leave the house in the morning, does that count as ‘tactical’?

Only if it’s one of these.

Cougar

It’s a torch made to appeal to the masses of apparently grown men that have some kind of military/survivalist fetish. It’s just the tip of the iceberg though, If you really want to explore the world of emotionally juvenile weirdness that this sort of stuff leads into have a quick search for “everyday carry”

Precisely. Eg, https://everydaycarry.com/

A random example from that site:

[list][*]Zero Tolerance 0450CF Sinkevich Carbon Fiber KVT Knife, Black[/*]
    [*]Victorinox Cadet Alox Olive[/*]
    [*]Griffin Titanium Pocket Tool[/*]
    [*]Recycled Firefighter Nomex Handkerchief[/*]
    [*]Maratac AAA Brass Rev 3[/*]
    [*]Recycled Firefighter The Sergeant Slim Wallet[/*]
    [*]Glock 43[/*]
    [*]Rick Hinderer Knives Investigator Pen Brass[/*]
    [*]Field Notes Pitch Black Edition[/*][/list]

footflaps

Only if it’s one of these

I now feel so inadequate, been carrying the wrong tissues for 40+ years….

Sundayjumper

have a quick search for “everyday carry”

I just did. Wow.

Cougar

(As a nice example of how the US and UK subtly differ, searching for “EDC UK” gives us the Electric Daisy Carnival…)

molgrips
    Free Member

In all fairness, I can see the tissues would have a use when hunting ducks or something that can see in colour – a bright flash of white as you blow your nose wouldn’t help your camouflage would it?

Cougar

There’s a thread on Reddit also. The Question posed is, “what are your essentials that you must carry on a daily basis?”

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/

Check out how many students’ “essential” items that they “must carry on a daily basis” includes a handgun (including the one currently second from top, “female grad student”).

corroded
    Free Member

Loving the technical spec on those Pitch Black Field Notes Cougar – makes stationery seems positively manly.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

makes stationery seems positively manly.

The names Bond… Basildon Bond.

Jakester
    Free Member

Looking at that site Cougar posted, one of the contributors had a lot of ti “lanyard beads”. ‘What are they?’, I wondered to myself.

I clicked on the link, and it took me to this site:

http://cogentindustries.com/products/tibeads/

Are they massively overpriced woggles?

A quote from that page: “If you know your lanyard beads (and I’m sure you do since you’ve read this far) – then we both know I don’t really have to “convince” you”

footflaps

‘What are they?’, I wondered to myself.

I assume you give them to the blinded bear, so he chokes on them?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘"Tactical" torches…’ is closed to new replies.