Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Swinley Forest – inaugural visit & first impressions
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Well I had today off work – due to working Saturday & Sunday evening, and as I sampled the delights of Holmbury & Leith Hills on Saturday morning I thought I’d head over to the other area I’d heard off. So I packed my bike into the car and drove off to Swinley Forest – the place was insanely busy but then I remembered it’s Easter holidays 🙄

I bought the permit from the visitors center and thought I’d get a map too, to be fair £3 for that little lot ain’t bad at all, so off I rode.

Following one of the fire roads I noticed a trail heading off into the tress so I took that, excellent little bit of twisty trail, then back onto the fire road and up towards Surrey Hill to where all the single track trails seem to start and descend all sides of the hill.

It was most enjoyable, great tight & twisty trails, nicely built jumps & berms and very dry & fast 😀 One bit I did like particularly was the very tight & twisty trail that comes off where the red/white barrier tape is and snakes it’s way down to the fire road, awesome from the bottom up and even better on the way down.

Now I’d imagine with some local knowledge there are loads of hidden gems in there, and when I get the chance I’m gonna ride it.

Anyways here’s a couple of obligatory photos 😉

cinnamon_girl

Glad you had fun! Tbh the map is useless but you did the right thing by just exploring. There’s singletrack all over, not just around Surrey Hill.

Nice bike too. 8)

Hopefully philconsequence will organise another Swinley Sexy Party sometime!

steve_b77
    Free Member

So long as it coincides with a weekend when I’m working down here i’ll be fine

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Red barrier tape could mean either the new bit of sticker or the switchbacks that drop down from the resevoir.

Both great bits of trail, sticker for just being fast, the switchbacks for being very un-trailcenter (and very un-natural for the UK).

convert

I know many people love it but although I’ve only been a few times (on my own which was probably a mistake but was going past and thought I’d build it into the day). I just don’t get the place. I imagine there is loads of reasonable xc trials but can’t understand why finding them is reliant on luck or going with someone who has found them previously. Why has it not been “trail centreafed” with signed routes or mapped either paper based or electronically so you navigate the place? A set of semi maintained singletrack complete with names but non published to make it navigable without local knowledge feel very cliquey.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s really narrow with up & down sections and lots of roots, mini berms etc

nicko74

It is a little “you have to know someone to find your way around”, and I spent about 18 months finding the place very unsatisfying – I knew there was good singletrack there somewhere, but couldn’t for the life of me find it.

FWIW, there are some gpx files knocking about; I also have a couple of scans of OS maps with the most major (now built) trails shown, if anyone wants to know more.

5AM
    Free Member

Exploring and just finding hidden gems/getting lost is part of the fun when you first go there.
    If you really feel that want a bit of direction all the locals I’ve ever met are more than happy to point you in the right direction. 😀 😀

To the those that created the new track by the Stickler, I rode it for the first time yesterday and all I can say is great job. Worth the waiting time for it to bed it, and I can’t believe how much you managed to get done. Thank you very much

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve just got a permit as I’m working near Thactcham.
    Any locals care to show two of us round some of the trails?
    Its much more fun if someone knows where to go.
    I can return the favour around North Wales as I live 2 mins from coed y brenin.
    PS Sorry fot the Hijack.

cinnamon_girl

Swinley Forest does not brand itself as a ‘trail centre’. I personally don’t see anything wrong with exploring but do appreciate that people use trail centres when they are short of time etc.

On the other hand, I do wonder if there was some sort of grading system for each trail, it could possibly ensure that folk can make an intelligent choice of its suitability.

I think you will find most locals (ahem) are quite friendly and can be happy for other riders to tag along for a guided tour. 🙂

Definitely not cliquey but I do feel that perhaps people are reluctant to explore.

I may well be there this weekend, either Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, so could potentially be on guiding duties. It’s always worth posting up here to see if anyone can help.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ear, CG; I might fancy a trip there soon, during the week. You up for it?

Swinley’s a right laugh with a good bunch of people, even on yer own I’d imagine. Perfect for SS; just enough gradient to give you a workout, but not be too much of a slog.

The caff’s a joke though; way overpriced and poor quality food imo. Proper rip-off. Just shoplift something from the Sainsbury’s in Bracknell first. I always do. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On the other hand, I do wonder if there was some sort of grading system for each trail, it could possibly ensure that folk can make an intelligent choice of its suitability.

It would all be blue/green though? Maybe red for jump gulley? Orange for a couple of the drops in the expert area?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah I’d make you right, Tina. It’s not all that demanding for someone used to a bit of off-road, although some bits would be quite daunting for a beginner/someone lacking in confidence off-road.

It’s a proper mare in the wet though; that sandy soil destroys yer brake pads in no time.

cinnamon_girl

Elf – give me a shout with some dates! Agree about the Cafe – coffee cups have become smaller, service is s-l-o w and it’s expensive.

MrSpoon – yeah, a difficult one. Unfortunately last year I helped out with an air ambulance incident – it was a group of friends being led by someone who misjudged their skill level. Seeing someone unconscious is rather frightening. 😯

I just feel that could have been avoided but, then again, since when have human beings been sensible?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Alternatively being unconcious is not frightening at all.

Infact I don’t really remember any of the times I’ve knocked myself out biking 🙂

cinnamon_girl

We all know it’s due to your AWESOMENESS Sammie-Louise.

Auntie C_G x

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nice one CG. Will sort something out hopefully next week. Will be nice to have a ride round when very few others are about.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

CG and Elfin – If you can make it a Sunday I might be able to tag along if you don’t mind. Save me the postage on Elfins new clogs

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, I said during the week. Can’t you read? 🙄

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I reckon with your history on delivering on time Sunday is during the week 😉

BTW What tat from Leamington Spa?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Good point, good point…

I dunno. Anything that’s unique to Leamington Spa I spose.

My neighbour got me a donkey fridge magnet from Greece, and a lovely hand-painted Manatee from Florida. Poddy got me a lovely elephant from India last year.

The collection’s building up nicely. Looking really good. Some pretty varied and unusual pieces.

Stuff made from locally available materials is good. I’m sure that elephant from Africa is made from a wood that’s illegal to use over here…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just checked out the hotel

You get a do not disturb notice, some shampoo and a shower gel.

Will see what else I can get tomorrow.

Night All

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

FFS, they must have something better that’s worth nicking? 😡

Do Not Disturb sign might be useful to keep the Jehovas away mind. Although probbly should put ‘any further than is already’ underneath. 🙁

peterwp
    Free Member

Hi Steve,
    Here is our usual Sunday morning ride.
    http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/ot12qcgp-x8
    We start off at around 8ish and are back for tea and teacakes at around 10.30. we tend to ride back on the fireroads as it tends to get very busy around this time.
    Have fun
    Peter

molgrips
    Free Member

can’t understand why finding them is reliant on luck or going with someone who has found them previously

Just ride along the fire roads and keep your eyes peeled for tempting openings in the verge. Guaranteed it’ll be something good round there. Ok so you might not find the very best gems, but you’ll certainly have a good ride.

Then when you’re tired, simply head north and you’ll come out at the Lookout carpark – or follow your GPS 🙂

I love Swinley. For best results ride flat out though – no pootling unless on fire-road.

meesterbond

While there’s a Swinley thread open, can someone try and explain to me where the start of Deerstalker and Labyrinth are? My usual loop finishes at the manhole cover on the fireroad above the jump gully, if I go down towards the jumps there and up the other side, round the reservoir I eventually come to a big clearing… from there I’m lost!

cinnamon_girl

I’ll try!

On top of Surrey Hill, you will have the reservoir on your right so stay on that fire road which then descends gently. Eventually you will come to a roller-coaster bit, ride this, still staying on the fire road. You will see a Crown Estate sign. Still continue on fire road and on left hand side (almost like a triangle of grass) you will see tyre marks.

There are several trails here. For Deer Stalker take the first left and follow track through trees (don’t bear sharp right) and that will eventually take you through to The Labyrinth.

meesterbond

Excellent – I think I know where you mean. Last time we dived off left into the trees too early down that fireroad.

Many thanks!

thepurist

From the reservoir (probably the big clearing) just stay on the main fire road that runs N/S ish & which takes you up Surrey Hill. Keep heading S on that, it goes down a long slack descent(*), over a small rise, then down & up ‘the wall’ (AKA a steepish loosish bit). From there (**) carry on past the fire road on the LHS then before the similarly steep drop on the other side there’s a clearing on the left. Head to the far end of that – there’s usually a pile of sand/gravel there, if you go in just to the RHS of that and bear right that’s the Babymaker, if you go to the left side of the pile of sand (between a couple of trees) the trail will bear round to the left, then over a rooty section where you can either go straight on (Deerstalker) or bear right (Ye Olde Labyrinthe).

All 3 of those pop out at the same place – used to be a small clearing and now has a mahusive fire road width entrance. The quick way out is on the same line as the new wide exit, then one round from that (clockwise) is the long way out (Labyrinth proper). Once you pop out of either the quick or long exit just keep turning left/uphill on fire roads until you get back to the start point.

(*) For a bit of added fun, about 100 yds down this look out for an opening on the right, go in there & bear rightish around the other side of the reservoir. Follow this down some bumpier rootier bits until you get to a short straight section, then take the berm that goes left. Follow the gravel climb, then at the top bear right then left onto a bit of singletrack, then at the X roads take a left then go right as the trail forks, then you’re back here (**) so do a right and left and on to the labyrinth.

FWIW I’ve got a fair bit of spare time over the next few weeks so if anyone needs a daytime slowish & not skillful/rad guide give me a shout, email’s in profile.

anjs
    Free Member

Hmm the reservoir is on the top of Surrey hill.

From manhole follow the fireroad down the hill and then take the right hand fireroad the goes up Surrey hill. Can not miss it its about 10 m wide and is steep.

atlaz
    Free Member

iolo – Chances are I’ll be up there for a quick blast after work one day this week assuming I’ve not broken something in my foot this morning. If not we’re around most weekends either Swinley, Surrey Hills or further afield

ChrisI

OSM is a great resource for finding the main trails in Swinley and maps can be downloaded to Garmin GPS that support custom maps (Google OpenMTBMap).

I think the reason trails arent advertised is something to do with the agreement between the Crown Estate and those that run Swinley for them (Gorrick for biking). Its not meant to be advertised as an MTB trail centre, more an area where you can go and ride if you behave nicely. The problem is its becoming known as a good place to ride in the area and a lot more popular which goes against the mandate of it, probably something to do with this:

This large area of private land is both a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and part of a Special Protection Area, protected for the rare bird species that live there.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Forest – inaugural visit & first impressions’ is closed to new replies.