Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 202 total)
  • Surrey Hills organised downhill event
  • dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was interested until I saw Nirvana Cycles were involved.

allthepies
    Free Member

£30 entry fee! 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom Box Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom B...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, might have a go at it.

Can’t say yet though because they haven’t put the date up there!

rewski
    Free Member

PP – what’s the score with Nirvana then?

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

October 15th-16th. First of three planned by the looks of it.

rewski
    Free Member

Not sure that site should be live in that state?

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Big question is where would you get permission around there. Doesn’t look like a bandit run if there’s entrance fees and trade vans etc.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – what’s the score with Nirvana then?

Only been in once, for a seatpost. Once the woman found out I didn’t want an expensive Thompson, she literally turned her back on me and walked out the back of the shop, without a word. I thought that was very, very rude personally. So they can stuff it if they think they’re getting my custom again.

rewski
    Free Member

she literally turned her back on me and walked out the back of the shop, without a word.

Really? Always found them great to deal with. Maybe she fancied you 😉

rewski
    Free Member

Anyway…

Surrey Hills organised downhill event

the Northerners are gonna have a field day with this one 😀

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Okay, we’ll re-name it ‘Surrey Hills Gently Downwards Event’

brooess
    Free Member

The most polite Nirvana have been described is as a ‘marmite’ shop.
    They’ve upset a lot of people over the years, for various reasons. Usually around a lack of willingness to try and understand other people’s needs and views.
    Even to the point of not looking after people who’ve had mechanicals or unplanned dismounts on their shop rides.

brooess
    Free Member

Where’s ‘Dorking Bike Park’?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If that was Simons wife, Jackie, that is very odd – she seems a really nice person – also a very good wheelbuilder.

😀

rewski
    Free Member

Jackie?

tonyg2003

Dorking bike park – is that the BMX track in Dorking at the industrial estate?

This is a fully legit “race” – Jackie posted onto our forum when one of the regulars expressed surprise that you could get fully legit (gentle slope) downhill races on the North Downs.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Even to the point of not looking after people who’ve had mechanicals or unplanned dismounts on their shop rides.

Not saying I agree, but having done a few of their shop rides, I think the view is that if the ride stopped for all mechanicals then it just wouldn’t get very far with all the stop-starts etc. If your bike’s broke it’s broke kinda thing. Simon’s also on a day off so doesn’t want to spend the whole ride sorting peoples bike out – kinda fair enough, he doesn’t charge for the rides. Never seen a hurt rider left. Seen plenty of people who can’t keep up left behind though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Don’t do organised but great for the area I think. Nirvana have a reputation of not taking it easy on their rides so you have to be fit and self sufficient and for that reason I’m out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Really?

Yes. Really.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Maybe it was actually the woman that runs the bridal shop next door just in to collect some delivery and thought she could help out when she saw you waiting – but you confused her with talk of seatposts other than Thompson?

LoCo
    Free Member

Was going to enter as used to work with Rowan the workshop chap, years ago but it clashes with Oktoberfest and I’ll be there with Loco BM Racing, might even enter an easy race. 😳

Have always found Simon and Jackie pleasant.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I suspect that at least some of the downhill sections will be Simon’s builds. In that case, if “Donnie Darko” is the kind of thing that’s up your alley (getting extreme air over injury-potential jumps going steeply downhill on a 40lb 160mm-travel nutter bastard bike), then give it a go.

Me, i’ll stick to the likes of Summer Lightning and Bazza, thanks…

LoCo
    Free Member

Mr Woppit, don’t say that I really wish I could enter now 😀

timmys

Mr Woppit, it says all jumps and drops will be roll-able FWIW.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if Simon built the stuff around Donnie Darko; would need to be a fair few planks and pallets to fill some of those gaps as well (flyer mentions that all drops, etc., will have safety planks)

The flyer mentions Ranmore rather than Leith, etc. Saw some building going on the other week on Ranmore (not exactly hidden from view but not my place to say where it was); wonder if that’s anything to do with this?

Will be fun if it’s wet…..

leggyblonde
    Free Member

the picture is at Dorking west which is where tonyg2003 is talking about.

they’re gonna need to do a LOT of work to do a DH race there. Ranmore however….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

all jumps and drops will be roll-able

whilst still on the bike ??

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Ranmore jumps are Simon’s builds. I used DD as an example.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Runs will be on Ranmore apparently. My guess is in the area of Grievous Angel and Hot Burrito. Hope it’s dry then, Ranmore gets a bit sketchy after rain to say the least.

spacemonkey

The most polite Nirvana have been described is as a ‘marmite’ shop.

Yep.

If that was Simons wife, Jackie, that is very odd – she seems a really nice person – also a very good wheelbuilder.

Never knew that. Maybe it was she that built my 317s back in 03, one of which is still going strong.

The flyer mentions Ranmore rather than Leith, etc.

Have just come back from an afternoon ride up on t’Downs inc some stuff at Ranmore. Wasn’t really looking but didn’t see anything obvious. Paid a visit to what we used to call Waterfall (just off the NDW) for the first time in years and it’s all tree’d up now. That was a bonkers bit of DH.

nuke

Be interested to see where its going to be run. Could be a bit of fun. As leggyblonde/tony, the pic is of “Dorking BMX & Mountain Bike Track”…it was all a bit overgrown last time I wandered through (Plus some fly-tipping) a couple of weeks ago (great for blackberries and wild mint 😀 )
    Can’t imagine that any of the trails near there are ‘sanctioned’ including Hot Burrito/Grievous (Presume they are on NT land).

Paceman
    Free Member

Sounds like fun to me.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

NT gave permission so I’m told. Events Management company behind it so they took the approach seriously and gave the go-ahead.

allthepies
    Free Member

“Here at Williams Extreme Events, we have been working in the industry now for over a decade. From organising races such as the likes as The London Triathlon, to The London Marathon, the company has a huge wealth or organising not just sporting events, but also festivals across the UK.”

Organised the London Marathon ? Hmmmm….

russjp
    Free Member

I like the sound of this event but nothing for Williams extreme events pops up on google!

Not sure if im gonna risk my £30 yet, anyone have any info on this company.

russjp
    Free Member

Doh, double post 😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Here at Williams Extreme Events, we have been working in the industry now for over a decade.

and

nothing for Willams extreme events pops up on google!

Screams cowboy operation.

fullysussed
    Free Member

As does a page which says “Banner to house company” at the top.
    Looks like it was put together in half an hour, and they missed a few bits.
    Interesting that they took the time to add a prominent link to “Nirvana Cycles – Go to Surrey’s best Mountain Bike Shop” .. smells a little fishy to me.

Oh, and hi by the way … I live v close to Ranmore, been off the bike for a couple of years, been off the forum for even longer but back now 🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

well I really don’t think this is a good idea. Cannot believe NT have given permission…they have just knocked down Hot Burrito and G Angel 👿

Just hope whitedown doesn’t go the same way – and we certainly dont need anymore advertising of trails etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills organised downhill event’ is closed to new replies.