Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Surrey Hills – mud fest or OK?
  • soobalias
    Free Member

The puddles are good for practicing berm technique, just rail around the top of ’em

*slow hand clap*

even better just stick to cheeky trails in these conditions.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@foofighter – any particular Pitch bridleways to avoid (eg ones on Western side) ?

mattjg
    Free Member

How was your ride guys?

We did GB and ISC yesterday, the only real clag was around the southern perimeter of the hill as we looped back towards the youth hostel, finished up with a cheeky 3 in the Kings Head. (Beer festival on this weekend, got to be a do!)

Rickos
    Free Member

It was good. Thanks to jambalaya for showing me some of the stuff.

We went to the top of Holmbury, Yoghurt Pots, back up then down again picking up some other runs. Then BKB, then up Pitch and some stuff over there, then another hill (forget the name) and back down including supernova. There were plenty out last night.

And we didn’t trash the trails…

foofighter
    Free Member

any particular Pitch bridleways to avoid (eg ones on Western side) ?

The main climb up from the lower ‘Pedal and Spoke’ car park is the one thats been worst hit. This is what The Hills were like Tuesday.

[video]http://vimeo.com/41455237[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So proves what a good job the BKB builders have done! Looks bone dry and complete contrast to the T trails in Pitch. Was driving around Hankley and bottom of Punchbowl this morning and water still streaming down. Still cant help feeling that better not to be on the bikes at the moment, although dog walking showed that foot wear was as bad a the odd cycle erosion. Its tough as I am twitching to get out.

dashed
    Free Member

Lovely little vid!

It’s classic evidence of how riding the natural trails at the minute turns them from beautiful narrow singletrack into dull fire-road crapness!! 0:15 to 0:45 shows exactly how to ruin a trail by riding around puddles…

And is your mate seriously on dual crown forks for Surrey Hills? 😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wednesday was as expected, it hadn’t rained Tue and Wed so Holmbury was ok but Pitch was wet with some trails looking a mess, we climbed up past the church so avoided the forestry damage until we got towards the top where it was very visible. Some damage to trails due to logging, the little section at the top to West of path is blocked and un-ridable. We rode a few trails but mostly it was a reconosense.

mtbhurtwood
    Free Member

So proves what a good job the BKB builders have done!

Thank you. Will always readily accept praise.

Hurtwood Trails.

On Twitter.

On youtube.

Pitch was wet with some trails looking a mess, we climbed up past the church so avoided the forestry damage until we got towards the top where it was very visible. Some damage to trails due to logging, the little section at the top to West of path is blocked and un-ridable.

Unfortunately, the forestry work will be around for a bit.

mattjg
    Free Member

btw mini beer-fest at King’s Head this w/e, hoping to try and get out there tomorrow evening …

blooddonor
    Free Member

That has to be one of the worst videos I’ve ever seen, if that’s the Surrey hills I don’t no what the fuss is all about.

matt500
    Free Member

Blooddonor, good, spread the word! It’s rubbish everyone stay away!

blooddonor
    Free Member

😆 With that video hopefully they will.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Did my xc loop today to stay off the trails and it was the muddiest ride in 6 months, the tracks and bridleways around Ranmore we’re totally churned up bog, ‘orrible and not even the bluebells could lift the gloom.

brooess
    Free Member

Do people realise that riding trails which are a saturated, boggy mess, does the opposite of making them less boggy? 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Did my xc loop today to stay off the trails and it was the muddiest ride in 6 months

What’s the difference?! It’s basically all XC up there!

jambalaya
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    What’s the difference?! It’s basically all XC up there!

My XC: All Bridleways and tracks from Guildford to Ranmore and back via Gomshall, Shere and Albury. The odd small drop or piece of singletrack, gully descents.
    My non XC: Singletrack, rooty steeps, drops, small jumps. I can’t do the bigger jumps, gaps or non rollable 10-20ft drops but it’s fun to look at them and watch the riders that can.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Its tough as I am twitching to get out.

Moving into a full-blown case of the shakes, here… 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

My non XC: Singletrack, rooty steeps, drops, small jumps. I can’t do the bigger jumps, gaps or non rollable 10-20ft drops but it’s fun to look at them and watch the riders that can.

Fair enough, I’d call that XC 😕

muddyground
    Free Member

Comedy mud fest today. Horses have really been churning things up Headley way. Once you get into it though, it’s huge fun.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Threads that post news of trail conditions should really be stickies.

Mods any thoughts?

wwaswas

Mods any thoughts?

I’m not a mod, but my 2p;

We’ve had the wettest April for 100+ years and May’s going the same way. Anything that’s likely to get wed and muddy is wet and muddy, that stuff that doesn’t get muddy probably isn’t.

There’s more ‘local’ trails than there are threads on the front page. Unless you have somethign bland like ‘South East trail conditions’ (which woudl be meaningless) the forum would be populated by people all trying to get to page 23 where the real threads started.

Most areas have a local mtb club with a firum – best to post on there for a detailed view of where’s good and bad to ride.

pickle
    Free Member

Had a cracking day at Leigh Hill yesterday, a bit boggie in places but on the whole it was much better than i expected. not to many people about though, only saw 4 other riders at the tower for cake

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Understand the well meaning idea but fell that there are too many area frequently used by forumites for stickies to be workable. Current threads work ok IMO

Might have first ride since crash 4 weeks ago later.

cheez0
    Free Member

Hey all,

I’m working around Dorking for the next couple of weeks and iv shoehorned the bike into the van.
    is/are there any kind soul/ souls who would show me around of an evening? 🙂

cheers!

p.s (mattjg, YGM)

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Moving to London tomorrow, this could well be my local riding by the looks of it…

sailor74
    Free Member

any updates?

Is it so bad its unlikely to have improved much by sunday? Plenty of sunshine forecast friday/saturday.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Cheez0, If you fancy a bike ride one evening or over the weekend just let me know. I know the hills fairly well.

Email address in profile.

Cheers

Andy

jambalaya
    Free Member

@sailor74 – Pitch is quite beaten up from combination of weather, lots of riders and forestry work (trails destroyed, bridleways/tracks smashed), Leith and Ranmore always suffer in the wet. I tried to ride around bridleways on Ranmore last weekend and it was a total bog. You can find drier tracks and some of the better draining singletrack will be fine. Fact is if it’s sunny lots of riders will turn up and it will be carnage 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Missed the Pitch carnage – has the clearing been post Easter? Which trails have been smashed?

jambalaya
    Free Member

All work since Easter. The top carpark is now a wood store midweek, partially open weekends. Upper section of bridleway climb from Walking Bottom and on paths on saddle of hill above. Tree harvesting smashed up bits of trails on top part of the hill (in the area to East of Quarry). This is from a combinaton of my ride with @rickos and other STW’ers like @deadkenney who’ve been up there more recently.

glenp
    Free Member

I’m not riding much at the moment, but I can give you an conditions assessment because I’m out in the woods every day with the dog. Put it this way – it’s wellies all the way at the moment and for the forseeable future! I would avoid the North Downs completely because its claggy clay, and Surrey Hills will be navigable but not exactly sustainable. Even though Barrys and (to a more limited degree) Yog are built to drain and therefore hold up a bit better, there is a limit to what a trail can withstand when it’s not much more than a pile of sand. As mentioned, logging operations are not helping.

Ultimately, I suppose, nothing too bad will happen – you just have to decide on a personal level where you draw the line. A nice walk is always an option!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Why people feel the need to ride when its this wet – I have no idea. it really does the trails no good…

go on a road ride, go for a run or go to the pub! or better still actually do some trail maintenance….

rewski
    Free Member

Why people feel the need to ride when its this wet – I have no idea. it really does the trails no good…

Good god, I can’t even go riding in the wet without being made to feel guilty. It’s only mud, it’s fun and the trails you’re talking about are mainly public footpaths and bridleways.

freeridenick
    Free Member

err no they are not.
    I mean proper built trails – have you seen the state of supernova…

rewski
    Free Member

Yep… just avoid the worn out trails, Surrey Hills and North Downs is a big area, plenty of decent riding to be had if you don’t mind getting muddy.

freeridenick
    Free Member

fair enough then! Problem is many don’t !

glenp
    Free Member

Trails built in the manner that many consider boring (ie. designed to shed water slowly, rather than channel or catch it) are doing better than the other fun stuff like Supernova.

On the one hand its all good splashy fun, on the other hand there’ll be nothing left in places if ridden willy-nilly. In between those two points of view there is some sensible middle ground.

gee
    Free Member

Anyone got an update from Saturday?

nuke

I’m sure someone will be along regarding Piltch/Holm/Leith but I was out on Ranmore/Newlands/St Marthas/Blackheath and was amazed how dry it all is. Few wet bits under the tress in places but overall a dry-ish ride 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills – mud fest or OK?’ is closed to new replies.