Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Surrey Hills Air Ambulance incident today
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

There was an air ambulance out collecting someone from the top of BKB today. I heard the rider had taken a tumble over the bars close to the top and subsequently couldn’t feel their legs.

Does anyone know the outcome? Hope they are OK.

brooess
    Free Member

IMO BKB is not that well suited to newbies, even tho it’s getting a lot of focus as one of the main trails for the area. Lots of roots+ the bombhole after the first couple of corners comes up quickly and would phase most inexperienced riders IMO. Braking at the top of that gives you a long way to fall..
    So I guess we’re going to see more of this. Especially if we do well in the Olympics…

HungryHungryHippo

The accident happened at that first bombhole. Let’s hope they’re OK.

project
    Free Member

Also an elderly chap fell off his bike today at New Brighton, Wirral, off the raised cycle track over a low wall about 12 inches high and then 3 foot drop onto concrete, paramedics arrived five mins latter.

Oh and a cyclist was killed in a hit and run by an audi driver in london, police have him in custody.

vikingboy
    Free Member

Swinley’s jump gulley had a precession of ambulances today too. Hope everyone is ok.

brakes
    Free Member

BKB is tame.
    the bombhole is the only remotely sketchy bit and there isn’t exactly a long drop to it, the rest only gets hard if you go fast, and even then there isn’t the gradient to make you go too fast.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The hole at the top of BKB was recently filled to make it less severe, it would still be possible to ride in quickly and go over the bars hard into the upslope. I hope the person concerned is ok.

nuke

Hope the chap is ok. 🙁

BKB is tame.

…and your point is? 😕

bigsi
    Free Member

[Edit] Ignore as it sounds like its been filled in a bit so my point is not valid anymore [/edit]
    Hope he’s going to be ok.

brakes
    Free Member

…and your point is?

just countering brooess’ point.
    still hope the guy’s ok.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Fall badly on the lamest trail and the consequences can be severe.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Hope he is ok – I passed him and he was talking so fingers crossed. BUT who was the cyclist with the two dogs, because letting the dogs run on BKB whilst others are riding is lethal. One of the dogs ran across the trail, I had to slam the anchors on to avoid hitting the dog, Not very clever. Infact the whole of holmbury and pitch is not great at the moment. .

skywalker
    Free Member

IMO BKB is not that well suited to newbies

Where would you start, on the road?

Its hardly difficult!

10pmix
    Free Member

The bombhole isn’t/ never was sketchy. I think people are referring to the roll in to the main trail which can be dangerous for an inexperienced rider who didn’t see it coming.

nuke

just countering brooess’ point.

Fair enough although Brooess does have a point…’tame’ is relative to experience and I’m taken many a rider down BKB who would consider it far from tame.

HungryHungryHippo

Yep, that’s the one I meant, the drop into the main trail.

bigsi
    Free Member

It was getting sketchy before they filled it in a bit.

It had quite a sharp transition to flat & if you didn’t have your weight far enough back it could catch you out 😯

Paceman
    Free Member

It was bone dry up there today, people riding fast. Hope the guy on BKB is ok, doesn’t matter what trail he was on, always sad to see someone hurt when out riding.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mashiehood – I’ve never enjoyed the hills more, could be that’s as I’m only riding midweek !

Before hole was filled I gave myself a moment, hadn’t ridden it for a while and went in fast to find it deeper and more severe than it had been worked on. Even if BKB is “tame” you can still hit a tree.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Rode yesterday. Pitch and winterfold were quiet. The trails were running fast do no surprise there have been accidents.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Even if BKB is “tame” you can still hit a tree.

Which is exactly what I’ve done in the past. Pre-jumped into the bowl, didn’t quite getting the line on the exit right and smacked my shoulder into the tree that is no longer there!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just had a text from Howard at Pedal & Spoke saying that the guy has been paralysed. 😥

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

That is awful! Is there any chance of a recovery?

nasher
    Free Member

Just had a text from Howard at Pedal & Spoke saying that the guy has been paralysed

Oh man!!!! Thats terrible, my thoughts are out to him, similar thing on pitch hill happened to a friend of mine!!

keep safe guys..and gals

crikey
    Free Member

Er, hold on…

Why not wait for some accurate first hand information rather than second hand alarmist gossip?

It may be true, but then again there may be more to his condition than you are aware of, and this kind ofthing on a public forum might not be what he or his family wish to see.

singletrackmind

That is not a good outcome.
    Hope its wrong and hes just bruised his spine or summit like.
    Be careful out there .
    Sympathy to him and his family.
    Perhaps we can leave off the ‘BKB is rad’ + ‘BKB is tame ‘ now ?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That’s a mighty quick diagnosis! I’d want to make sure that was a fact before posting it up on the net.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sorry who are we talking about?

crikey
    Free Member

Have a word and give over until you know the details properly.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

The person posting on the net that the bloke was paralysed.

I mean if Howard was busy massively overcharging someone and got the wrong end of the stick, and now you are posting it on the net, it’s a bit disturbing for anyone that might know him!

Especially as paralysis diagnosis are seldom made within hours!

geetee1972
    Free Member

If the person had been named I could understand the moral outrage, but since he hasn’t, I think some of you are over reacting a little. Maybe he isn’t paralysed, let’s hope he’s not.

crikey
    Free Member

Maybe he isn’t paralysed,

So stop suggesting it, is that so hard for you to understand?

awkwardangle
    Free Member

we were there shortly after it had happened – and asked the bloke who was trying to help the injured guy if he’d called an ambulance….which he hadnt (!!!??)
    The other riders in their group said that they were on a ‘guided ride’ – not sure who is leading these?
    Whilst the ‘guide’ was then on the phone to the ambulance service, the injured man was starting to panic that he couldn’t feel his legs – my mate was trying to re-assure him, and keep him positive.
    hopefully its not a permanent injury?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

How many people were airlifted off Surrey hills today? Even without a name it’s pretty bloody obvious.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m sure we’ll find out the facts at some point in the near future.

Get well soon rider.

boltonjon

Fingers crossed that he makes a full recovery

Very worrying that someone had their dogs of a lead there as well.

I was hammering down Yogurt Pots the other week and came across some guy teaching his two kiddies (4 to 6 year old) how to cycle down steep hills

I managed to slow down, but once of my mates slammed in to the back of me

I was really annoyed, as ‘Dad’ seemed to have the kit, so really should have known that someone might just be hammering down the track and his kiddies were in major danger

I couldn’t even imagine how i’d cope if i killed a kid when downhilling – beggars belief really

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Saw this today too, hope the guys ok!

Very worrying that someone had their dogs of a lead there as well.

I was hammering down Yogurt Pots the other week and came across some guy teaching his two kiddies (4 to 6 year old) how to cycle down steep hills

Got to be a wind up surely!? its just some woods, with bridleways and permissive unsigned cycle paths, not a DH course.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

You were “downhilling” on yoghurt pots????

I’ve taken my 6 year old down there – it’s a nice easy trail for kids. Also none of the trails are solely mtb trails – there could be walkers around any corner. If you can’t stop in time on yoghurt pots you need to have a word with yourself and look further up the trail.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I know only too well the concern when you have a smash that affects the spine from experience.

Anyway, was there after the air ambulance took this guy away and the ambulance guy there on the ground was talking of concern about the spine obviously. In this case they will be extremely cautious, keep absolutely immobilised, neck brace, back brace, the lot and certainly the air ambulance is a necessity.

Paralysis is not a certainty, but a concern. All depends on any damage to the spinal nerve, the extent if any and if and how it heals. Complex stuff.

Regardless of the trail and experience, anyone can have this kind of injury. You could have it falling out of bed, tripping up in the street, anything.

We simply wish him the best and hope he’s okay.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

You should be able to stop in the distance you can see ahead. Isn’t that obvious? If you hit something slow/stationary on a trail, because you couldn’t stop in time, it’s your fault. Small kid, fallen tree, crashed rider, whatever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills Air Ambulance incident today’ is closed to new replies.