Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Supplements & Vitamins..do you take any and why?
  • GJP
    Free Member

Vitamin C and Zinc. I am convinced I am less prone to colds and sniffles since starting them. I never quite got used to the bright yellow pee so multi vitamins got binned.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

CaptJon – I like that 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Yep, loads. 😳

Glucosamine with chondroitin to prevent aches, liquid iron cos my body doesn’t store it very well, vit d for my thyroid condition, co-enzyme Q10 again for thyroid condition.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That was brilliant CaptJon. Thanks 8)

CaptJon
    Free Member

His Bad Science website is a good read if you like stats and quackery being undermined.

This is also a good watch on detoxing:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UrhJ8P8iZ8[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I take none because I eat normal food.

cinnamon_girl

Come now m_f – the word ‘normal’ does not apply on here!

lodge
    Free Member

I have taken multivitamins, cod liver oil and glucosomine for periods in years gone by and I still had painful joints and a fair amount of bugs.
    I now eat a well Balanced Vegan diet with no supplements except ground flax seed and I sh*t you not my joints feel better than ever, although I do do Yoga most days too.

I’m still undecided re supplementing B12.

Garry_Lager

Resveratrol is worth a gander if you like your supplements. Massively-studied natural product in recent years after it was shown to prolong lifespan in certain animals, and then reduce the effects of a high calorie diet in mice. So, potentially, you live longer and you get thinner – cue stampede of pharma companies into the area throwing billions at it.

Turned out to be a highly controversial area, with some of the key experiments difficult to reproduce. On the plus side, resveratrol is found naturally in different foods, is part of a large and well studied family of natural products, so taking small amounts is unlikely to do you much harm.

Cougar

I’m vegetarian with an… intermittent diet, so I take a multivitamin occasionally. By ‘occasionally’, I mean that I’ll take it daily for a week and then forget for about two years. Part of me thinks I should be more careful, part of me thinks I’m being DBFed by pill manufacturers. Ho hum.

The health benefits of most are zero in controlled trials..

Which trials are these?

Been taking cod liver oil for about 10 years. My knees certainly seem to feel better for it

You’ve been taking it for ten years. How do you know?

Captjon – Re: the Ben Goldacre link; the guy introducing him is Robin Ince. You should check him out too. (Though, you probably know this)

bigrich

berrocca, for the angry yellow piss and hangover cureness of it.

althepal

What bigrich just said.
    I also take it towards the end of a 7 night run of shifts as I can get run down by the end.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Thanks wallop am out to get the good ladies last few Christmas presents later ,that seems perfect present that Will benefit the whole family 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member
    HermanShake
    Free Member

I take a generic multi vitamin and a vegan omega 3,6 & 9 (I’m a vegetablearian).

The vitamins are cheap, I’m hedging my bets. Teh omegas are present in my diet but my knees ache and I quite like riding my bikes so want to ensure I’m getting enough. I take these with/after food of course.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Supplements & Vitamins..do you take any and why?’ is closed to new replies.