Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Superstar Hubs…what tools?
  • mlucas666
    Free Member

My Superstar Switch Evo front hub has got some play in it. I’ve got a new set of decent quality bearings to install.

What tools do I need to remove/install the bearings?

kayak23

Various sockets plus an extension bar, a mallet/hammer, a g-cramp for refitting and sympathy/empathy for your materials.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

a rock?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I used a spoke key to remove them completely

nealy
    Free Member

Pull the end cap adapters off which will leave the bearings and the inner half of the end caps still in place. Using a drift/screwdriver/socket extension etc and hammer knock out a bearing and end cap still in the hub by pushing the spacer between the bearings down to compress the o-ring so you can get the drift on the edge of the bearing then do the same for the other bearing. It’s best to press the bearings in place but I used an old bearing on top of the new bearing and carefully knocked it in with a hammer, even if you do use a press make sure you push on the outer race of the bearing as applying too much force to the inner race will damage them. Make sure all the spacers and end caps go in with the o-rings seated correctly which can be a bit tricky if the o-rings have magically grown like mine had.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

a rock?

This.

If you don’t, your warranty will be void.

Sandwich

Are you an engineer? With letters after your name? If not your warranty is going to be void as you are not deemed competent by the supplier. With letters you won’t be competent either.

Carry on.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Nealy, thanks, that was really useful explanation.

Thanks for everyone elses contributions too… 🙂

nealy
    Free Member

Nealy, thanks, that was really useful explanation.

No probs, I’ve just done it myself for both hubs including freehub and although it was easy I did scratch my head for a bit working out how to do the front hub. Links below to bearing list and service guide if you want them but not hugely useful to be honest.

http://db.tt/D3vUOJEb

http://db.tt/2vZUIP8s

Northwind

FWIW, I used a rock to fix my superstar pads when we were in france, and it worked splendidly. Did take a little time to find the ideal rock, though.

rOcKeTdOg

U need an octopus shaped rock ideally

nealy
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Hubs…what tools?’ is closed to new replies.