Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sunrace cassettes / Sram GX compatibility
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

Afternoon ladies, after the log slicer on my 2×10 tried to saw my face off im going 1x for the first time, i’ve got a Sram GX set up on the way and i’m looking for some advice as to cassette compatibility and which one should go with out back (standard freehub)

So there seem to be some conflicting advice Sram say the GX rear mech capacity is 42t, while wolftooth say 49t is the max.
    I’m currently running 26/38 up front and 11-36, could definitely lose a couple of the highest gearing without caring. Assuming a standard 32tooth up front a 42t cassette would leave me just short of the highest gear I have now, a 46t cassette slightly more. The Sunrace 11-50 cassette is starting to become available now and I could running a 34tooth up front to give me almost exactly the same gearing as i have now, but information is scarce on compatibility.

My thoughts were that the 11-46 would be ok, but is the alloy 46tooth cog something to be mindful of? im keen to hear if anyone has the 11-50 installed, would the larger spread of gears save wear.

Thoughts gratefully received

bikesian65
    Free Member

Good question – when I get a new chain I will let you know as I am trying a 11-50 with a m7000 SLX rear mech – got it to work up to 42 T but the current chain 116 links is to short to all the 50 T to engage ( B screw wound in looks like it will clear ) – have had to order another chain so I can add a few links ( mind you this is on a jones plus so the chain stays are quite long )

dumbbot
    Free Member

This chap here has an SLX set up with the 11-50 no problem

but the compatibility chart above says it would work, where as the GX has a ?

joebristol

Are you talking about an 11 speed GX mech?

I was running a 10 speed GX mech with the Sunrace 11-42 cassette until I sold the bike recently. Probably couldn’t have gone any bigger – had an oval 32t chainring and hat was plenty low enough and I didn’t ever run out of high gears either.

If you could run an 11-46 with an 11 speed GX mech then I think I’d be torn between a 32 or 34 up front.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Yes I am referring to a GX 11 speed mech.

As I said wolfstooth are selling a 49t expander which they state will run on all SRAM 11 speeds without any mods, (where as the shimano stuff need a cage on the derailleur)

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/49t-gc-cog-for-sram-and-sunrace

dumbbot
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/bsZWs-rZr-c[/video]

Video of sunrace 11-46 working with GX, ..

puffballs
    Free Member

I am using an 11 Speed GX mech with a Sunrace 11-46 cassette on my fat bike, no problems here.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Thanks, i’ve just gone for the 11-46t probably didn’t need the 50t. Maybe once it’s been out for a bit longer they’ll be some folks who’ll try the 50t on a GX, wasn’t going to take that chance.

The wolftooth 49t expander with a 42t cassette would be interesting to try, if only they were a UK distributor and the cost was more reasonable.

dumbbot
    Free Member

@Puffballs, if you’re reading this.

How’s the back pedalling issue with your Sunrace 11-46t? Overall the shifting is spot on with only the back-pedalling chain drop issue on the largest 46t cog…. I know there are going to be differences in chainstay length/chainline (Sram pc-x1 chain used) I’m just curious.

Obviously i was well aware of this issue before hand,

bikesian65
    Free Member

Well I can confirm that a sunrise 11-50 works with a med cage SLX 7000 mech – works quite well but I have not had to use the 50T in anger yet! – a couple of revolutions back peddling will derail the chain to a smaller cog – guess they all do that I suppose

Skips through the gears nicely compared to my 2x9bike 9 aim using a tumbshifter in friction with a Jtech adaptor )

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thought I’d revive this as I’m also curious as to whether the 50t Sunrace works with a GX 11speed mech. Anyone tried?

tall_martin

I had a look and there are some videos of the 11 speed gx mech working OK with the 11-50 cassette but ui still haven’t seen any reviews of them as a combo.

I went for an 10-42 and most days in the peaks I curse my choice 🙂

Brainflex

I have 2 sunrace 11-46 working perfectly with GX set ups.

gunnar
    Free Member

Any news on this? Will GX11 work flaeflaw on the 11-50?

If not, what has to be done?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace cassettes / Sram GX compatibility’ is closed to new replies.