Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • STW vs Pistonheads – Sledges
  • flamejob
    Free Member

I think we should have an inter-forum sledging championship along the lines od this thread…

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=210&t=1082489&mid=0&i=20&nmt=The+2012+Aluminium+Racing+Toboggan+Build+Thread+%28pic+heavy%29&mid=0

I’m sure our combined engineering skills could build a starship, never mins a simple sledge.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have two sets of long ski’s I was going to bin. This could be a plan.

flamejob
    Free Member

… a couple of pairs of old forks and we’re sorted

brakes
    Free Member

I have some old bombers and a snowboard.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Na – the singlespeeders would insist on an old tea tray ans being the one true way

Taff
    Free Member

My neighbour got some skis from a scrappy and made a standard sledge… it flies.

porter_jamie

tea tray is a bit advanced tj, careful you don’t get an aluminium one accidentally.

i can do some tig welding / cnc milling etc. someone do a drawing.

wwaswas

the singlespeeders would insist on an old tea tray

but only if it’s made of Ti, obviously.

Stoner
    Free Member

someone call for cynic-Al an his cutlery drawer!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have two sets of long ski’s I was going to bin. This could be a plan.

Don’t ever make a sledge from skis. My mate suffered a horrific knee injury on one I built. We went up to the Pentlands at night, found a huge cornice and went for it. Freefall velocity almost instantly. We had to virtually carry him to A&E. Lost the sledge, had to go back very early next morning in case someone found it and tried it for themselves.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im in!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I made a sledge from skis year before last. A pair of old Dynastar Course Coupe de Monde 203cm race skis, if I remember right.

Hotwaxed the blighter too.

As I surfed it down the flat field to the sledging hill I realised it was very, very fast. I also realised it was not good at turning.

It was like a bullet. Only way to stop it was jump off, holding the leash. That was in powder, with bushes at the bottom. I didn’t dare take it on the big hill with a fence at the bottom.

Offered a go to a lad who races (and podiums) MotoX and SuperX. He said “Dude, I’ll do a heel clicker over a 90 foot triple but I ain’t getting on that sledge!”

Was too scared to take it out last year, it’s still in the garage!

steve_b77
    Free Member

cynic-al to the thread, we need carbon, spoons and bolts

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Was too scared to take it out last year, it’s still in the garage!

Burn it! Your experience was similar to ours, it made me laugh. The snow when we tried it had a four inch frozen crust. That’s what did for italspark’s knee.

nedrapier

Snowboard would do better, at least you’ve got a chance of steering it. I’m currently working out a nose torsion steering rack system to help turn initiation. some drilling and metalwork involved.

Amos
    Free Member

I can probably get hold of some carbon fibre for bling factor

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

suely we shouldbe going for stuff like this

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh I thought you meant like cricket ‘sledging’. 🙁

We could still have a mega-team for that though! 😀

Hmm, wonder who’d be in it…?

(Goes off to have a think about things)

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

count me in as test pilot, I can and will drive anything

timber

roadsigns aren’t too bad if you bend back the front edge
    old sandpit wasn’t bad either, one of those big plastic jobbies, it was even boat shaped

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think I may have to make a cycleski thingy

TiRed

it was even boat shaped

One of these has seen significant use down White Horse Hill in the past couple of years. Only one concussion 😳

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have an old jump frame and some forks earmarked for a ski bike build. I was planning on doing it for this winter but havnt had the chance. Hopefully will be ready for next year.

IIRC somebody on here made one last year, it’s what gave me the idea.

I_Ache
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t ever make a sledge from skis.

Red rag to a bull I’m affraid, I’ve even got a spare iron so the missus wont kill me for hot waxing some evilbay ski’s 🙂

italspark
    Free Member

everything the MC says is true, i had to be pulled off the hills on another sledge and taken to hospital for an op. followed by 6 weeks off work to recover from the ligament damage, ive also had another op. since to tidy up some over growing cartlige.
    if your going for pure speed……get some brakes for when it gets too scary/fast and dont just stick a leg out ( oh yeah….daylight also helps)

singlespeedstu

A few ideas for you here.

http://www.lenzsport.com/skibike_main.php

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘STW vs Pistonheads – Sledges’ is closed to new replies.