Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • STW the end is nigh.
  • druidh
    Free Member

stevewhyte – Member
    Everyone has been making offensive insulting remarks, yet when they are aimed at the English it becomes a big deal.

And what nationality do you think the mods are? 🙄

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m English born (but not of English descent) and to be frank, the views expressed by a number of my compatriots are an embarrassment.

As for Scottish independence, I’d be very saddened if it actually happened but thirty years of Thatcherism well and truly did for a lot of communities north of the Watford Gap. You can hardly blame some Scots for wanting out of a union that’s not exactly been fair to them.

And racism on STW towards the English? Get real…

trailmonkey

you obviously didn’t see the rugby world cup thread

zokes
    Free Member

Taff or Gog for the Welsh.
    Mick or Paddy for the Irish.
    Jock for the Scots.

Most North Walians I know refer to the valley-dwellers as Taffs, and Gog is the name most welsh-speakers use to describe North Walians, seeing as it’s a shortened form of the Welsh for ‘North’ – ‘Gogledd’

I know many Irish who refer to themselves as ‘Micks’ Or ‘Paddies’.

So why the upset about Jock?

In fact, the two Americans I know best happily refer to themselves as Seppos, which must be the most offensive of them all.

you obviously didn’t see the rugby world cup thread

THIS. All English are apparently arrogant, stuck up, sore losers, pompous, cheats and I’m sure many more things. Dare suggest that the red card was justified, despite it’s receiver saying so, and you’ll get to see just how sore losers a small proportion of the Welsh population are, usually with a raft of petty insults in return

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Whilst some words – the nasty words to deride people from African descent or from Pakistan etc – are obviously meant to be demeaning and really nasty, i do think there is a fair bit of difference between ‘Jock’ and ‘Taff’ (words that people use as names for themselves in some cases) and the W word that was used for the English further up the thread.

You’ll find some Welsh calling themselves Taff, and some Scots calling themselves Jock – i don’t think you’ll find any English calling themselves w****r do you?

However, apart from that particular word i didn’t see any racism against the English on this thread.

BoardinBob

I know many Irish who refer to themselves as ‘Micks’ Or ‘Paddies’.

So why the upset about Jock?

Being of mixed Irish & Scottish descent, you’d have a broken nose if you referred to me as any of those terms to my face.

In my opinion, they’re derogatory terms used by the English to describe the Irish & Scots.

TheFlyingOx

At work, where it’s predominantly Scots, *everyone* is a c**t.

As in:
    “Which c**t stole my Stilsons?”
    “Did yous c**ts used to be dairy farmers, cos you certainly know how to milk a job!”
    “Any of yous c**ts want a cup of tea?”
    “**** you, you c**t!”

It’s all down to interpretation on behalf of the speaker and the listener. If anyone thinks OP was being derogatory in the use of the word “Jocks”, I suggest you step away from the internet because it can get quite nasty. You c**ts. 😀

zokes
    Free Member

Being of mixed Irish & Scottish descent, you’d have a broken nose if you referred to me as any of those terms to my face.

So, perhaps they’re only terms for Irish who aren’t keyboard warriors and have some grasp of proportion? Thankfully, these are the only sort of Irish I know.

metalheart
    Free Member

MUDs, there is reason why you haven’t seen any racism towards the English on this thread as it’s pretty much impossible. English is ethnicity. Which is why the Elf can claim to be English whilst not being, well, white.

The reason Steve was calling the English whatever he called them was because he probably took offence at being called a Jock. You might not see it as an insult but as I’ve said above its not unusual for scots to call each other c**** in what could almost be called a term of endearment. However if I called YOU that you might take the huff. How would you like it if then rubbished your ‘hurt’ by dismissing it as well I call everyone a **** and you are just being stupid for taking offence, I mean it’s not like I mean anything by it…

metalheart
    Free Member

Ox: yes quite, that’s what I mean!

To be fair the OP ws obviously trolling. I’d say the word choice was deliberate.

Anybody taking offence would clearly be taking the bait.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’d take it in context, if you walked up to me and said c*** with some vehemence i’d kick you in the spheres, if you turned round from the bar and said “oi you c***, what you having?” i’d say something different 😉

Er, as to English being ethnicity i think you got that wrong. Elf is English by birth his ethnicity is something else.
    Scots can be of any ethnicity but share the same citizenship.
    As to it being impossible to be racist towards the English, sorry but thats bollox.

metalheart
    Free Member

MUDs, English is not a race (nor is scots for that matter). What differentiates you racially from me?

You can discrimate against the English , but it’s not racial per se.

onehundredthidiot

Whao, reference to OP up there ^.

I am half Scot half Irish. With half these names it’s the old “it’s fine for me or my mates/others of my demographic to call ourselves this name but don’t you do it” argument.

I once got into a bit of a shoving match in a pub in Colchester with a bloke who thought calling me Jock was OK. I was surprised at how quickly he backed down (he was quite big i was a quite drunk short Scots bloke) given that he had a few mates with him.

Was only when i turned around that i remembered that the Royal Scots were in town and a few of them were in that very pub. Amazing the effect a small part of a Scots regiment will have on xenophobic remarks towards the Jocks.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Metal Heart – sorry, i got the wrong end of the stick. I agree, unless you are of Highlands/Islands origin you are very probably genetically indistinguishable from me with my mixture of English/Danish and Scots and Welsh ancestry.
    We can split hairs about what constitutes race, but legally speaking i would reckon it is quite possible to be racist towards the Engish – my friend living in Elgin has currently a case going through her housing association about a neighbour who has been racially abusing her for her Englishness.

onehundredthidiot

Muddy. Those cases really boil my piss. All this “incomer” piddle from small minded (literally in some cases) “locals”. If the case is proven then the perp should be re-housed elsewhere and become the incomer.

On a lighter note (of xenophodia) driving up the west coast (of scotland) a few years ago the SNLA had been out with the spray cans on the back of signs. Every so often you saw:

“Settlers out!” this went on for quite a few miles until some wag had retorted with “Tums in”. Well it made me laugh

metalheart
    Free Member

MUDs: apology accepted. It must be my pedant gene kicking in… 😀

OP: seen as we’re in apology mode, I’ll retract my accusation against you. Bearing in mind the recent argie bargie re ‘Jocks’ I saw it as deliberate (esp wrt the subject matter). So apologies from me too…

onehundredthidiot

Aw, Metal, dinnae fash yersel. I wisnae hattered at a’.

Merlinman

So we’re all happy now!

Time then, to draw the curtains on this one – it’s had a good airing and seems to have moved to an STW ‘consensus’? 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘STW the end is nigh.’ is closed to new replies.