Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 235 total)
  • STW Get-together, Morzine, Aug 15th 2016
  • weeksy

Just thought I’d stick this up as a discussion thread as a few people seem to be over in Aug 2016. So using it to see who else is going to be up for a days riding, feel free to put other random Morzine date around that time if you wish, but i’ll only be riding on that particular day.

I’m proposing meeting around Torico bike shop as it’s fairly central and not too busy usually at that time of morning, for say 9.15-.9.30 and then either up the Pleney or shoot over to Super Morzine.

Ideally at some stage around 1 ish i’ll meet up with Mrs Weeksy and my boy for lunch, but that depends on where they actually end up spending their day, currently Avoriaz has been discussed, maybe rafting… Who knows… But if anyone has any ideas on what the wife and the boy can do then please fill me in.
    LAst time I was there I took the lift up and then walked over to Les Gets and had a look round as the PPDS event as being hosted there, but I honestly think that will be too much walking so Avoriaz is more likely I guess. They’ll have the car so could in theory meet us wherever.

weeksy

BTTT as some may have missed this.

Stoner
    Free Member

As mentioned on emails, I’m in the area and hopefully will be free subject to childcare arrangements/Mrs Stoner returning from the Liverpool Tri. Be good to see some faces.

weeksy

BTTT in case anyone else is there.

weeksy

Getting closer now and would still like some riding buddies that day, just to make Mrs Weeksy happy.

makkag
    Free Member

ooh hello I arrive on the 13th for 2 weeks with the now ex mrs and her 2 oldest and my young one so a day or so out actually having a days holiday sounds very appealing.

May have the eldest in tow as he rides but could well be up for a meet up .. I however fractured a vertebra in my spine on saturday after a particularly silly accident on the bike so not sure how Gnarr im gonna be but early in the hol’s is the best way to find out .. I know/Knew some of the of piste stuff over Les Gets side less over in morzine as its been 4 years since i have been there but up for an explore !

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m DTR

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ha ha I didn’t see this till today. Having exchanged messages before on routes I was thinking of joining (assuming that was ok). My plan was to be in the Alps for 2 weeks mid August and I will try and make it over. A rest at lunch is ok for me 😉

weeksy

Brilliant lads, we’ll keep the thread going over the coming weeks and plan on meeting up at Torico 9ish-9.30 and then heading out.

I’m a long way from Gnar don’t worry, exploring is good, depending on what’s decided i may dropm down from the 200mm rig to the AM version on the day, but i don’t mind a pedal or two 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im all gnar so dont make it too pedally

makkag
    Free Member

Im off the bike for 5 weeks and never the fittest going up at 15 stone. so lifts as much as possible for me please !!

weeksy

I’m no lightweight Mak, i can give you a stone easy 🙂

I’m not too bad fitness… but if i wanted to pedal 70km i’d be going to the Ridegway not to Morzine 😉

makkag
    Free Member

HA im hoping not to have put that extra stone on with no exorcise for a month

All sounds good though let us know nearere the time if its a Full or open face kinda day !

weeksy

I’ll be running my FF as i’m incompetent, also full armour lol.

dirtyboy

I’m around from the 2nd August with the family, missus and twin girls who are 7, who are very friendly and happy to play with other kids.

I’m taking a capra out this year and I’d love to ride with others as I rode alone last year and it’s OK but you have to ride Conservatively in case of a stack.
    I’ve been riding over 20yrs and live in south wales so I’m not too shabby
    Email in profile and I’ll bookmark this thread.
    Hopefully see some of you soon
    Dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Staying opposite rhodos bar so local to the town

Ambrose

Staying at the Montriond end of town, close to the Les Gets road junction. Arriving on 13th Aug for a fortnight of uplifted Funduro. I’ve been quite a few time before so will happy to show people around if they want, but bear in mind that I’m happy enough to do the odd bit of DH but when it goes red I start to worry a bit. Mind you the gradings seem all a bit bonkers.

I’m buying a pass for the entire domaine.

Ambrose

Dirtyboy- where in S Wales are you? I’m near Brynamman.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP Avoriaz is no picture post card in the summer so unless they are doing something specific there you/we’ve time to think of a better lunch spot. Mont Caly above Les Gets has a fabulous view and a little local style place,

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ambrose

And I’m SO keen to do the ride down to Samoens via La Bourgeoise. Anyone here fancy sharing a taxi/ organising a shuttle?

dirtyboy

Ambrose I’m in Newport, think I’ll be driving back when you arrive

Ambrose

Second the recommendation for Mt Caly, it is gorgeous. Lac Montriond is also really nice, as is the Upper Dranse Valley. And if you can get over to La Fond de la Combe, in Cirque Sixt Fer a Cheval- do it, just take my word. Ridiculously stupendous scenery. Jaw dropping. With manicured paths for the whole family 🙂

weeksy

Brilliant stuff guys, really looking forward to it and meeting up.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ambrose,

PM me. I’m out there all summer and will be doing the bourgeoisie descent with Mrs Stoner doing a pick up in the van at the other end at least once . If I have your details we can be in touch and maybe do it together as well as catch up for other days too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ambrose, yes if I come I will 100% want to do that ride (I won’t say guide as I’m so slow I’ll be at the back but I’ve done it twice so know the way). Given the route help you’ve given me in the past it would be great to meet up. I was even going to suggest Weeksy finishes his day with that and his wife collects him from Samoens town centre – if the weather is good the view of Mont Blanc is stunning and there is usually an ice cream van at Lac Joux Plan for Weeksy Junior. May need some planning and perhaps not so convenient as he’s got to take his bike back to the hire shop in Morzine.

Stoner I predict you’ll want to do it more than once and that you’ll want to explore Samoens loft side and the valley, rude not too eh ? 8)

I must do some bus research, not as well served as Swiss postbus network but we used some busses on Trail Addiction-Dest X

jambalaya
    Free Member

About 1/3rd of the view from Mont Caly (road access and car park, lovely little chalet village, bike round from Mont Chery lift). Just one suggestion

jambalaya
    Free Member

i can’t seem to embedd Flickr any longer, from Sheldon of this parish, ride in to Bourgesoie (cross visible on hill top) from Lac Joux Plan

EDIT: screen grab

Flickr Link

From cross, valley and Samoens below

Link 2

jambalaya
    Free Member

Stoner should be the route planner being local

Morning Morzine and/or Les Gets trails & making way to Mont Caly lunch 1-2. Col Ecrenaz to Morizne – final trails from Stoner’s little black book ?
    Morning Morzine lunch Mont Caly, Les Gets Trails, Lac Joux Plan for 5pm icecream, Samoens descent for beer in town at 6-6:30 (might be too inconvenient for Weeksy to retrace steps to shop and closing time question)

Ambrose looked that up, seems like a stunning valley with high peaks all around 🙂

dirtyboy

Stoner if you want to hook up and show me some trails, lunch will be on me. I’m around from the 2nd of August till the 11th I think? Cheers DB

Stoner
    Free Member

was lying in bed with tablet looking at the Fonde de la Combe area. Looks great for a day out walk. Will def take the family Stoner out there one day for a yomp

db – yes, of course. My place is in Montriond so just a few minutes ride from town. PM me at my email address and we can hook up over the weeks you’re there. I expect to be around from the weekend of the TDF until the sometime during the week before the Aug bank holiday weekend so bound to get a chance to ride out together.

I reckon the chery/d’encrenaz/caly/bois noirs route would be a nice one to get a few people on. See the other thread.

BTW, this may be useful for people to work out who’s around and when. feel free to fill it in if you like.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14bNgzzPh6Q2MT01QCMbfwU3vhQsHnrG_NsUW7oOd7dE/edit?usp=sharing

Mbnut
    Free Member

Great idea the spreadsheet. I have already broken the rules, rebel without a clue!!

I have put the resort i’m going to be in, M for Morzine, P for Pila and LA for Les Arcs. The ? denotes no actual plan so happy to be anywhere within 4 to 5 hours drive.

I am out there with my 16 year old lad. We are on trail bikes but will be full face and body armoured, in the hope that we can survive a month of riding without anything serious going awry.

The first week we are with friends in a chalet with their teenage kids, super friendly bunch so happy to ride/drink/eat/bbq with anyone that plays nice.

Getting very excited now… I miss the mountains.

Ambrose

Thanks for the good words folks. I’m getting a wee bit excited too. Mrs A and myself are child free this year so I’ve been told to bring my roadbike as well- can I put it on the lifts?

FWIW I’m easy to spot, 6’4″ and wear Hawaiian shirts.

dryroasted
    Free Member

I leave for morzine next Sunday for 2 weeks, I really can’t wait,., I feel like a kid on Xmas eve

jambalaya
    Free Member

I expect to be around from the weekend of the TDF until the sometime during the week before the Aug bank holiday weekend

Living the dream 🙂

weeksy

I can’t get to spreadsheet due to work laptop not allowing it… but i’m only there for the 1 day.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ve put you down for the 15th then.

As mentioned Mrs S will be on her way back from the Liverpool Tri, so I might book my kids into the language school for the day to free up my day too. Will see how it pans out.

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve emailed Stoner, Jambalaya and Ambrose about trails and general advice and thought I’d add my details.
    I’ll be there from around 7th to 11th, depending how quickly we get around the TDMB. Camping in Morzine most likely.
    I’ll be with my sister and her husband who have never ridden in the Alps and prefer more xc type stuff. It would be great to hook up anyway.

Stoner
    Free Member

hi hb.

Something that looks like it might have come from you ended up in my spam box, and gmail thinks it’s all written in czech! You might want to try again as I think hotmail and gmail are arguing over it.

may well see you in Aug then.

happybiker
    Free Member

Oh right, will try again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘STW Get-together, Morzine, Aug 15th 2016’ is closed to new replies.