Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • STW forum Dartmoor bivvy invite 2nd or 3rd weekend October
  • Shinythings
    Free Member

Plan is to do a bivvy ride 2nd or 3rd weekend in October depending on long term weather. A month after we have shreddded the east moor tech on Trailmonkeys ride [/url].
    This would be a good introduction to one of the beautiful and remote bivvy spots on the moor and depending on conditions could be Tor top, hidden valley, forest, river side.

The distance will not be great as this will need to suit the bivvy curious and “experts” alike, so for this time of year, a 3 season bag with bag or tarp will be perfectly adequate. For convenience the chosen sight wil be near a water source.

The emphasis will be on a “bit of fun” so don’t expect a multi-day cross country epic! More likely 10 or so miles from the car and a pleasant evening under the stars.

It is more than likely that I will be awarding a prize for the most pathetic bivvy attempt and for the most “awesome”.

Start point will depend on No.s, but will be no more than 15-20mins from the main A38

Slugwash, who you will all recognise will no doubt give an expansive demonstration display of his weight weenie kit – he is away at the mo and unaware of his generous involvement in this endeavour 😀

Dartmoor bivvies can be truly memorable and a real surprise to the uninitiated.
    Below are a couple of taster pics from Previous Dartmoor bivvies.

flatfish
    Free Member

Third weekend is the Bear Bones 200 though. 🙁

trickydisco
    Free Member

This looks great. Never done a bivvy before. Where can i get a bivvy bag from?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Also.. where were those cheap frame bags i seem to remember seeing on here?

Shinythings
    Free Member

Alpkit.com is a good starting point for good quality light kit and check out the huge bivvy thread on here for the various frame bags available, although myself and many others have made our own.

A few keen and the day can be confirmed by consensus nearer Oct, weather probably the decider.
    Outsiders travelling down will be well cared for obviously.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

for frame bags try here

http://www.buggybags.co.uk/pages/BikeBagOptions.htm

or for the dogs bo**cks these are the daddies

http://wildcatgear.co.uk/

and for great saddle bags I have one from this guy in Poland

see here

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk/php/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=180

no need to go to the USA anymore

trailmonkey

bivvy

Shinythings
    Free Member

You’re damn right it’s a bivvy trip

sharki
    Free Member

2nd weekend for me as it’ll be my 40th i think 😕

Shinythings
    Free Member

I think the 2nd weekend is looking favorite, ’tis for me really.

Got a brilliant spot in mind that we’ve not done yet

judderman
    Free Member

bought a bivy 3yrs ago & never used, this looks ideal to try it out 😀
    2nd weekend as in 8 & 9th??

Shinythings
    Free Member

Yep, likely to be that Saturday

judderman
    Free Member

cool 8)
    perhaps we could have some suggestions on minimum kit required for us 1st timmers?

snaps
    Free Member

Jim – are you guys still planning a trip to Wales ?

Shinythings
    Free Member

Don’t worry, there will be few inexperienced hence the easygoing venue and some kit can be shared/loaned

nevis
    Free Member

I’m new here. Just been given the heads up on this trip by Slugwash.

I’d like to tag along if that’s ok 🙂

I’m

Shinythings
    Free Member

Off to the Alps for a week, but ride still on and starting somewhere on the 8th! Slugwash has been tasked with a duel venue choice 😀

Will keep all posted as it could well be a split ride as a dozen or so Somerset/Bristol mates are joining us 🙂 Some of you/them are not kitted out with weight weenie stuff so we are trying to pick a site with fairly easy access for the special/less able amongst us whereby they can get a Dartmoor ride in before picking up their bivvy kit for the ride to the site 😛

Howdo Snaps, Could be a trip 1st week of Oct mate

julioflo
    Free Member

Hi – recommended minimum kit list for newbies would be great please!

flatfish
    Free Member

Bivi bag,
    Sleeping bag,
    Sleeping pad/mat.
    Food and drink optional as is a tarp if it’s raining.

nevis
    Free Member

Hi All

Been a bit quiet in here, is this trip still on for Sat Oct 9th?

Cheers

Shinythings
    Free Member

Howdo, what with being away, etc…

Right; the latest is that due to a big group from Somerset coming down who are not all kitted out for proper bike-bivvying it will now be a bike + bivvy, the current plan is to do an east Dartmoor techy 30k ride then 15mins drive up the road to a well known hostelry for refreshments, then a 1 mile roll down to a brilliant bivvy spot to chew the fat, indulge in bat baiting (no, really :-))and empty hip flasks. We have used this spot many times and it always gives a smile and the east dartmoor riding doesn’t need bigging up!

Let me know likely joiners over the next week.

P.S. Slugwash is currently checking dates to get a trans Dartmoor backpacking trip in this side of xmas

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘STW forum Dartmoor bivvy invite 2nd or 3rd weekend October’ is closed to new replies.