Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 347 total)
  • STW forum bivvy ride Dec 4th / 5th from Machynlleth.
  • stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Hello

Wondering if anyone would like to partake in a stw forum bivvy ride on Dec 4th / 5th. Start / Finish would be Machynlleth so there’s ample parking and cafes for a post ride bacon butty.

Not sorted out a start time but I imagine early Sat’ afternoon with a return to Mach’ sometime late morning on Sun’.

If anyone’s interested either say something here or email stuart@forestfreeride.co.uk

Cheers

sheldona
    Free Member

I like the idea! I’ll see what’s in the calendar!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

No trouble sheldon, let me know whenever.

flatfish
    Free Member

Me, Me, Me.

trio25
    Free Member

Maybe, will have to check with the important one at home.

Tiger6791

Yep, just got clearance to do this, Machynlleth is a trek (8 miles) but I’m up for this!

Did a ride tonight and the sun was just going down mover the Esturay as I dropped down to Cwrt. Wished I could have stayed up on the hill.

Tiger6791

although, why not the Pony path up to the top of Cadair and stop in the Bothy up there.??

Might offer a bit of a roof in November in Wales 🙂

singlespeedstu

I might be up for this.

Are there any bivi locations big enough to fit a few people and the ‘tolla’s wok in though? 😆

Tiger6791

even happy to stay in one gear

sheldona
    Free Member

Bothy sounds like a plan!

grantway
    Free Member

Man wont it be bloody cold in the open around there

valleydaddy
    Free Member
    Tiger6791

Bothy at the top of Cadair is both remote and open 🙂 (but also offers a bit of shelter)

Baggsy the shelf seat on the eastern side at the back

brack
    Free Member

I will take a peek in the diary. Stayed up there alone earlier this year… Was a wild and thought provoking night :@)

IanB
    Free Member

flatfish – Member
    Me, Me, Me.

Me too 😀

Good opportunity to try out my new frame bag

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Very nice Ian, produced by your good lady?

IanB
    Free Member

It is indeed. That one was a prototype with some fancy VX21 fabric. The first official “production” bag is currently in production as I type…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Is that ‘production’ as in profit?

tollah
    Free Member

Looking good Ian, what sort of £ are they?

Tiger6791

Or if Cadair is too steep fancy sleeping in a Castle..

http://www.castlewales.com/cybere.html

IanB
    Free Member

Is that ‘production’ as in profit?

Production as in for someone else other than me 🙂

tollah – not entirely sure yet – still getting a handle on such things…

There’s likely to be two bags of our bags out on the 4th/5th, so you’re welcome to have a good look then.

Ambrose

I’m game for this- depends upon location though. Not a lot of water on top of Cadair, how about Bryneglwys quarries above Abergynolwyn, easy to visit The Railway. Or Hafodty Gwadstafryn? Or Hyddgen? Or Maesnant Barns. Or the ruins close to the Afon Hengwm river crossing.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ambrose wins a prize for nearest guess so far 😉

Water was my first thought when Cadair was suggested … I do like my tea. Looking forward to seeing the bags Ian.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’m thinking if I can work a pass, I may well endure the elements 😆

crezzy

is the route do able for single speeder ,not superfit but can handle the pennines

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Crezzy you’ll be fine, I can’t deny there’ll be hills but I rather it wasn’t a death march into the mountains 😉

crezzy

Been told I can’t have a pass out ,hopefully be allowed out in the newyear for a overnighter

valleydaddy
    Free Member

come on crezzy work on those brownie points fella 😉

I’m trying to max mine for a morzine trip 😆

Nezbo
    Free Member

I like it, Will have to chack with the misses/boss…

What distance are you thinking each day?

still s8tannorm – Will send you email 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ok then, looks like we’re on in one way or another, so some details so anyone interested can make an informed decision.

1pm meet up outside the Spar in Machynlleth (so we can stock up) on Sat’ Dec’ 4th. That should give us a bit of time for any faffing required.

I’m thinking somewhere around 25-30k at most for Sat and the same again for Sun return leg. Can’t escape climbing but hey it’s not a race. General direction of Nant y Moch.

We won’t see anything in the way of shops/pubs, etc till we get back into Mach’ on Sun, so you’ll have to carry whatever you think you’ll need … there will be ample water 😉 Lights might be a good idea just in case.

Expect it to be cold so I wouldn’t be wanting to spend the night in a pound stretcher sleeping bag … hip flasks may ease the situation if you’re that way inclined. Pseudo middle class party food would also do at a push 😉

Reckon that’s about it, everyone welcome regardless of bike or ability.

Cheers
    Stuart

tollah
    Free Member

Nice one Stu! I’ll be there providing it’s not pishin it doon!

Ambrose

It’ll be an easy SS spin up to Bugeilyn!!!!!!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

It’ll be fine (32:28)

IanB
    Free Member

I just about managed 32:20 for the Welsh Ride Thing, though the extra weight of the gear on the bike made more of a difference than I thought it would.

thefirstpancake
    Free Member

I’m keen for this – only an occasional poster here but I live nr. Barmouth and would be happy to meet some of you lot.

Blackhound

I’ll be up for this. Just back on bike after 3+ weeks off so should be fit enough by then. (Last two days climbing mole hills on a full carbon road bike has been painful!) See a few old faces too……

Kev

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Fitness won’t be a worry Kev.

thefirstpancake your more than welcome.

Stuart

Tiger6791

Is this a bags only trip?

So if it looks like biblical rain (like a few nights last week!!) would a tent be acceptable or will you all laugh at my multiple geared bike and the luxury that is a tent?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Tiger as far as I’m concerned anything’s fine. I know flatfish will more than likely be in a hammock and he’ll no doubt be carrying an ipad loaded with films (so that’s everyones entertainment sorted).

Ride what you want and sleep in what you want … it’s all good 😀

Tiger6791

Hammock? Is the final destination a tree habited place? Or we stringing up bewteen windmills?

If there are trees, then bag and tarp I can live with 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 347 total)

The topic ‘STW forum bivvy ride Dec 4th / 5th from Machynlleth.’ is closed to new replies.