Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • STW climbers, pricing help please!
  • teenrat

Hi,

I’m selling some climbing stuff for my brother, but am not really sure what the stuff is worth. Could anyone give me an idea what I should be asking. List of stuff is

3 camp Ball nuts
    10 camming devices ( friends)
    76 nuts inc RP’s
    15 Quick draws
    2 Hexes
    13 carabinas
    2 8ft slings
    1 belay device.

Cheers

Rich

wwaswas

3 camp Ball nuts

(sorry)

lemonysam
    Free Member

It depends massively on what they are, what condition they’re in, how old they are, how they’ve been looked after. To the extent that anyone giving you a guesstimate with the information given will be plucking a number out of the air.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep as above, really hard to price and the use is most important.

footflaps

shove each item on Ebay starting at 99p with photos and you’ll find out….

teenrat

I thought as much. Must get some more info then. Cheers

lemonysam
    Free Member

If you have a photo it should be pretty easy to have a vague stab.

martinhutch

How old are the quickdraws and slings? They’d have to be pretty much brand new and unused to have any value in my book, as ‘soft’ gear tends to start to deteriorate after a few years, even if not heavily used.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Try asking on UK climbing.
    My rack is still in the cupboard because selling it was worth sod all. Sold the ice screws & pegs as that was the only stuff worth parting with.

footflaps

How old are the quickdraws and slings? They’d have to be pretty much brand new and unused to have any value in my book, as ‘soft’ gear tends to start to deteriorate after a few years, even if not heavily used.

Really? Still occasionally use my kit, most of which is 20+ years old. Not that it’s taken a fall for decades…

lemonysam
    Free Member

My rack is still in the cupboard because selling it was worth sod all.

You’d be surprised. People will pay a surprising amount for gear of even slightly questionable provenance on Ebay.

Edit: A friend of mine sold a bunch of 10+ YO, fluffy as anything slings for £4 each and a bunch of old rigid friends for upwards of a tenner a pop.

Edit 2: The ethics of this are left as an exercise for the reader.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Footflaps – in answer to your “really” the answer is yes.
    The reason every manufacturer puts a lifespan on all textile products.
    Slings and the leaders on the quick draws in all honesty have zero value unless you know EXACTLY where they’ve come from, the use they’ve had, how they’ve been stored, etc.
    Hard items are a little easier to work with as there is no risk of chemical, uv, etc degradation but they still do lose strength in the cables from wear.
    Trust me – the loss in material strength is a lot more than 99.9% realise and a lot faster too.

OP – if you really want to move them on either put them as a bulk lot or check for completed listings to give you an idea.
    But when the likes of Rock+Run have set of brand new nuts for under £30 you can see why most just leave stuff in the cupboard.

martinhutch

Really? Still occasionally use my kit, most of which is 20+ years old. Not that it’s taken a fall for decades…

I’ve got some 20-year-old nylon stuff still bagged up in the garage. I’d crap myself if I was about to take a decent fall on it. Firms say different things about the longevity of ‘soft’ gear, but I’ve read various things which suggest that even if you never used it and stored it in the dark, clipping a 10-year-old quickdraw wouldn’t be a great idea.

I’m sure someone would buy it off ebay. I’m sure I couldn’t make an ethical case for selling it to them, though.

Cougar

People buy second-hand climbing gear? 😯

Selling to your brother (or rather, him buying from you) is a different situation as I’d hope the source is implicitly trustworthy in that situation. But second-hand climbing gear is of low value simply because you don’t know its history, it could’ve have all manner of abuse.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Ebay will probably get the top prices as people pay way over the odds for complete junk (not suggesting your kit is junk). The fees might sting a bit though. There’s a couple of facebook groups – Outdoor Gear Exchange and Climbing Gear Exchange which might be worth trying. I am always amazed anyone would buy kit secondhand, especially stuff which is obviously >5 or even 10 years old, but the fact is, they do.

fasthaggis
    peterfile
    Free Member

People buy second-hand climbing gear?

Have you never climbed with a partner? Do you throw all their stuff away before starting a route? 🙂

Soft stuff isn’t that expensive new and so it’s harder to justify trying to save a few quid buying second hand, especially since there could be weakening that isn’t obvious to spot.

That said, nut and cams etc are much easier to check, plus you can replace the slings on cams.

If someone wasn’t comfortable being able to check the integrity of nuts and cams, then I’d suggest they immediately throw away any kit they drop/fall on/store in a pack etc. 🙂

duckman

Second hand soft stuff, just no.

teenrat

lemonysam
    Free Member

So mostly pretty old/worn then, some of it looks like it’s held falls. Some of the Nut sets look ok so if you could piece together a couple of good looking sets then they might make a few quid. The cams are mostly 8 years plus old or pretty worn by the looks of things, the same with a lot of the Krabs/Draws.

Not a huge amount there that I’d buy – whatever you get on Ebay I’d say. The sliders might actually be the most valuable bit.

Cougar

Nice rack.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ll have that DMM sexy cam, has to come with colour co-ordinated snaplink tho or deal’s off.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘STW climbers, pricing help please!’ is closed to new replies.