Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • stop anthropomorphising your bike!!!!!
  • adlyhobart
    Free Member

aaaargh god it really annoys me when people call their bike “she” dont know why but as soon as i read a for sale advert and i see the word i stop reading.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

“she” has a name you know, and now you have upset her, so I will have to sit her down and have a quiet chat with her so she doest become to insecure. 😆

adlyhobart
    Free Member

perhaps a ship or a train or a relished classic car but a bike!

MSP

If I called “her” a “he”, then lubed “him” up and took “him” for a ride, then I would be banished from church!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Almost as bad as top tube name badges really.

adlyhobart
    Free Member

msp and so you should be!

trailmonkey

but my bike will get upset if i stop.

slackalice
    Free Member

For me, certain bikes have ‘soul’. Long rides at home and abroad with my bike over many years and I feel there is a connection. No longer an inanimate object.

I’ll apologise as I mash the gears, for example, as readily as I’ll pat the top-tube for staying with me on the gruelling ascents; I know I’m not the only one to give thanks for the sublime ride through the bluebell lined flowing singletrack 😀

My bike/s have a personality, that are closely linked to how I feel on a particular day. I appreciate the empathy TBH.

It is of course, your choice to get annoyed and stop reading adverts because someone has developed their own relationship with their bike -that would doubtless include love, care and regular maintenance.

Personally, I’ve found some cracking bikes because of this fact. I may have paid a little more than someone else, but I have found these people to be particularly fair, honest and genuine.

One thing I have learnt, is to never sell on those bikes of mine where this bond has grown over time.

You know, it takes all sorts and we all make our own world 😀

bonchance
    Free Member

I call linguistic fellating 🙂

Simply referring to a bike as ‘she’ isn’t sufficient evidence of attributing distinctly human characteristics

– to the old girl though is it. Hope she doesn’t hear me extending the metaphor and tell her friends.

I’ll get my coat while she is having a nap..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Relationship with an inanimate object? Barking mad.

Still can’t sell on that cat in the drive, too many good experiences go along with it.

organdonor
    Free Member

perhaps a ship or a train or a relished classic car but a bike!

Eh?

Duggan

Have to agree with the OP here

khani
    Free Member

My Betty’s very upset by this thread, say sorry and stop bring nasty..

She’s waiting….

damo2576
    Free Member

Waiting for a snapped seat post or tube?!

khani
    Free Member

Well it goes below the top tube and lasted since feb 03..so no…not that…

khani
    Free Member

LOOK! Look what you’ve done now!

She won’t come down… 😥

oli31
    Free Member

You ever noticed that it’s usually in an advert to sell it / her, makes me think if you love it sooo much why are you trying to flog it to the STW unwashed who’ll want to pick / haggle over it’s dead carcass when you finally decide to split it / her up 😀

seadog101

The bike has no gender, but does have some kind of sapient soul.

That is why it is often ‘Evil’, ‘Bloody minded’ or ‘Stupid’

khani
    Free Member

Betty’s retired now, I’ve had nine years of love and she’s coming to my grave when the time comes,
    Im going to prove you Can take it with you…

stavromuller
    Free Member

I’m with slackalice on this one, had a GT Avalanche that started out as a £260 hack and evolved into a £1000 joy. I still regret selling her (didn’t give her a name) after a year and her picture is still the wallpaper on my laptop

yunki
    Free Member

my bike’s a **** ****.. (name is Cheyenne.. next one will be Shakira.. last one was Shanelle..)

theguyfromthealps
    Free Member

No names, but bikes definitely feel like they’ve got a soul…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I love a sweaty ride on an Inbred.

It gets me all dirty!

alexb17
    Free Member

My bike is called Bert.

jota180
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it

I can’t really understand why anyone would have any sort of feeling for a pile of plastic and metal, it’s some sort of psychological issue that needs looking at.

khani
    Free Member

Meet Bertha, she’s a big’un…. 😀 but she’s not from Wigan…

ahwiles
    Free Member

nice, Khani, nice.

khani
    Free Member

Thank you kind sir 😀 Betty’s not happy tho…..Laydees eh’…

andeh

You’re offending Anthea! I wouldn’t get on the wrong side of a 40lb Turner if I were you.

khani
    Free Member

Buy her a flake….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘stop anthropomorphising your bike!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.