Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Stooge review by singletrack.
  • mrvear
    Free Member

Was he riding the same bike as I ride?
    Mine is very comfy, has plenty of space for a frame bag and handles well when loaded.

GregMay
    Free Member

No.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you checked your garage, I’ve heard due to budget cuts journos are nicking bikes to test

firestarter
    Free Member

I found the review interesting as it’s on the radar as I’m looking at a 27.5+ 29er trail/bikepacking type thing and it’s very rare these days to see anything at all negative in a modern bike review. Also comfort is very subjective. But at the end of the day the look of the thing sells it to me more than any review could sway me lol

bonesetter
    Free Member

GregMay – Member

No.

Care to add anything more, or is ‘no’ going to be the only word you post in response to the many critical comments re your Stooge ‘review’

boxelder

It’s one honest review among many positive reviews. It’s by someone who clearly does big rides and has used lots of different bikes to do so. Summarised as a nicely designed bike which is lovely looking and fun on shorter rides over ‘easier’ trails, but becomes uncomfortable over long distances and gets out of it’s depth on rockier, more mountain(y) terrain.
    Sounds spot on for a nice looking ‘standard’ steel rigid bike.
    We can’t harp on about reviews not being fair, just because you don’t agree (but have you ridden one a long way over similar terrain?). You could argue it was the wrong ride to review the bike over, but who/what do Stooge pitch it at?

firestarter
    Free Member

I’d be interested in a similar ride review by greg on a 2016 genesis longitude 😉

boxelder

Me too. Though I don’t have one, don’t really want one, and don’t work for Genesis 😕

bigblackshed

It’s one honest review among many positive reviews.

No, it’s a negative review among many positive reviews. Honest? Well that’s down to your opinion. Who’s to say the positive reviews were not “honest”?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I didn’t think the Stooge was ever envisioned as a bikepacking bike though, more finding fans with the bikepacking crowd because of the generous tyre clearances (at the time). That’s where the review seems misleading to me.

warpcow
    Free Member

What if… they’re all honest!

😯

fin25
    Free Member

How dare you warpcow, this is STW!

thegreatape
    Free Member

If that’s what the bloke thought then that’s what he thought. Only a dafty reads one review of a bike and then thinks that’s the definitive verdict, so what does it matter that one review found some negatives as well as positives.

scotroutes

fanbois 🙄

AlasdairMc

It was never designed as a bikepacking bike. It’s a ‘progressive trail 29er’ according to the head badge, designed for ragging around the woods on wee rides.

However, it has found favour among bikepackers, because some of us clearly find it good over long distances. I’ve ridden several multi-day rides on both the steel and the Ti, and the bike isn’t the limiting factor by a long shot. I’ve ridden a fair few bikes, my previous bikepacking ride was a Salsa El Mariachi, but I personally think the Stooge is better over distance.

I think that everyone is entitled to an opinion on the bike, how it rides and so on, but there are two parts of the review that are factually incorrect. It wasn’t designed for bikepacking (see above), and the frame triangle is more than big enough for a frame bag. I use an XL Wildcat Ocelot which fits perfectly. My El Mariachi had a frame bag that fits inside the Stooge main triangle with about three inches gap at the front, and half an inch all the way along the top tube.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Greg had tried one before the review and hadn’t been that excited by the bike/ concept.

Not sure about the decision process to give him another one to then review. But at least he has been consistent.

honourablegeorge

From me reading of the review, he had tried it previously as a bikepacking bike, ahd came away unimpressed. For the review, he tried it more as a trail bike, and wasn’t blown away by it in that guise either.

Bregante

I’m not sure what people think that the reviewer would stand to gain by writing an intentionally “negative” review (I didn’t read it as massively negative – just came across as honest).

Rorschach
    Free Member

‘People who constantly ask for ‘honest’ reviews disappointed by someone’s actual opinion shocker’.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You’re missing the obvious point, the butthurt on here have spent about 30 pages spaffing over their latest nichewagon. The truth is they’re absolutely petrified that the bike is actually crap but they got that caught up in their wankathon that they didn’t actually notice! Poor wee bairns!

boxelder

Let’s hope they are all honest – different reviewers will come to different conclusions. ‘He’ doesn’t think it’s great for ‘that’. Alisdair up there disagrees and I believe him too, as I’ve seen him riding his after many, many hours in the saddle. Don’t give reviewers hassle for writing what they’ve found. I find Sam Smith’s voice downright irritating, but thousands clearly disagree.

deviant
    Free Member

Monkeyfudger gets it….a STW forum niche favourite gets a less than stellar review and owners have a meltdown, love it!

My thoughts; I rode rigid steel MTBs in the 90s….there’s a reason they’re not used anymore in XC, DH etc…progress has moved most of us onto suspension forks at the very least…most onto full suspension….the thought of taking a fully rigid bike for a ride around the woods or on an uplift day like I do my current HT with bouncy forks leaves me cold….the Stooge is a retro bike in that respect, a throwback….if you review it to modern trail standards it’s not surprising it will fall short, it’d be like reviewing a Ford Anglia to modern benchmarks and then acting surprised it doesn’t measure up!

tazzymtb

Well there’s a stooge test bike coming over to one cog cycling for testing by some of the more aggro singlespeed rigid riders around including the 24hr monster that is Steve day and some serious bike backing beasts in scotland so we’ll see what proper riders think in a brutal and open review. These boys dont need to mince their words for publication so it will be warts and all.

BadlyWiredDog

These boys dont need to mince their words for publication so it will be warts and all.

They sound amazing, proper awesome, but if they’re not writing for publication how will we ever know what they think? Confused. 😕

singlespeedstu

It’s kind of interesting how this bike that seems to be based on Jonesesque geo has got all the owners up in arms when they’ve seen one shit revue.
    Yet Jones owners that see shit reviews of Jones bikes just carry on riding there Jones bikes and don’t really care.

Runs for cover. 8)

firestarter
    Free Member

Where’s the like button 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

[understatement]this bike that seems to be based on Jonesesque geo[/understatement]

tazzymtb

@badlywireddog it will be going out in closed facebook to singlespeeders from around the world so there are no worries about having to watch what is typed. Its also speaking directly to the folks that would be stooge buyers , rather than mincertrack magazine which is for portly blokes with enduro gnarsleds who ride slowly around a trail centre, so a bad review will have a lot more impact. 😀

tazzymtb

It will also be tested back to back with jones diamond and spaceframe bikes to see if the “budget jones” comments are actually true.

singlespeedstu

[understatement]

I was trying to be kind…

firestarter
    Free Member

So how would one get to see this review tazzy

BadlyWiredDog

@badlywireddog it will be going out in closed facebook to singlespeeders from around the world so there are no worries about having to watch what is typed. Its also speaking directly to the folks that would be stooge buyers , rather than mincertrack magazine which is for portly blokes with enduro gnarsleds who ride slowly around a trail centre, so a bad review will have a lot more impact.

A bit like the Freemasons then, but on FB. Thanks for the explanation.

thegreatape
    Free Member

+1 – definitely interested in that, especially the ‘normal’ Jones.

tazzymtb

Well join one cog on facebook or we can make an open section for reviews so that joe public can link to iit

firestarter
    Free Member

Well I do have an ss. I also have one cog on my shand but it’s attached to a rohloff;)

tazzymtb

And defiantly like the freemasons, but with less trouser leg and funny handshake and more beer, nichebikes and knob gags

singlespeedstu

Well join one cog on facebook

Do you not have to lick your betwix balls n ass piercing to be allowed to join?
    Or Was it just me that fell for that? 😯

firestarter
    Free Member

A bit like the outcast mag then. I left a copy out at work once they thought it was a gay bike mag 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Which one tazzy, I’m seeing a few?

johnnystorm

I don’t get all the Jones references. It looks like an On One Fatty in steel to me.

Anyway, pleased to see the online fury, hopefully now the important issues are dealt with you can now get emailing your MP asking about less pressing issues like tax credits and steel plant closures.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Stooge review by singletrack.’ is closed to new replies.