Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

The Stooge (Oswestry based) has seen only modest attention here, with no real discussion, so thought I would start one…

The figures look OK to me

69 degree HA, 60mm BB drop, SA 72 degree, 55mm fork offset. Fork length is 475mm. Headtube 5″. There’s enough clearance on the front for a knard

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Its pretty enough in a Jones homage kind of way. Google cant find a web site though so most likely it will slip from my memory as I like to book mark things for later.

Nick

Their only web presence appears to be via Facebook.

http://www.stoogecycles.co.uk/ isn’t there.

Apparently available from April.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

So that is as far as my looking will go. refuse to look at Facebook, Twitter and such.

letmetalktomark

I like that.

Jones X Trek Sawyer.

Needs a negative rise stem though 😛

Any mention of price?

letmetalktomark

DS shot:

Proto – Very Sawyer like:

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s my Monday Morning Grump talking, but if you’ve gone to the cost and effort of producing a bike, why not leave a little bit of budget back for some decent promo photos to show your efforts off.

OCB
    Free Member

Looks a bit like a 44.
    Which is certainly no bad thing.

wwaswas

It’s always good to see people developing new frames and putting their ideas into practice.

One thing with all these ‘twin top tubes morphing into seat stay’ frames I don’t understand is why they’re welded to the seat tube? any advantage that the long thin tube has in terms of comfort flex is lost because it’s anchored, surely?

I like the colour and those shots (certainly the second one) look fine for a ‘look what we can do’ post on Facebook.

Needs a headbadge, though.

jonestown
    Free Member

The frame and fork should retail somewhere between 400 – 450, all depending on shipping costs. The website is being built as I write, should be up and running in a month or so.

I have 100 frames landing in April, 5 of which will be single speed specific. It’s hand built from 4130 by the same people who produced Salsa, Surly and pretty much every quality steel frame produced today, so the build quality is second to none. It’s not a mainstream bike, it’s designed to be an incredibly fun bike for riders to want to get back to basics. I think there’s a lot to be said for getting rid of all the modern technology and relying on geometry to make a bike exciting to ride. It won’t be for everyone, but for those that get it, I think you’ll love it. cheers, Andy Stevenson, owner of Stooge Cycles.

honourablegeorge

wwaswas – Member
    It’s always good to see people developing new frames and putting their ideas into practice.

One thing with all these ‘twin top tubes morphing into seat stay’ frames I don’t understand is why they’re welded to the seat tube? any advantage that the long thin tube has in terms of comfort flex is lost because it’s anchored, surely?

If the seat tube isn’t anchored to the seat stays and top tobe, then what do you anchor it to?

AlexSimon

Headbadge is on the latest photos:

AlexSimon

£450 for frame and forks
    Sounds like they are manufactured in taiwan though.

wwaswas

then what do you anchor it to?

well, that brace could continue forward further/be a bit more chunky and do the job? Would make the effective seat stay length far greater.

It’s not a criticism of this design, they all seem to do it.

Price seems pretty reasonable for a frameset with a more complex manufacturing process then most.

letmetalktomark

@ Andy …. Great to hear. Looks as though the frame has dropper routing along the TT or is this for a front mech? If for a dropper I presume its a 30.9mm ST? Guessing if its front mech routing its a 27.2mm ST?

Modular bolt on guides IMHO mould look tidier a la new Singular bikes. With so many options to run droppers, 1×10, 2×10 singlespeed etc redundant guides can really ruin the “look” of a bike.

chambord
    Free Member

I think it looks pretty interesting.

I went to college in Oswestry, live in Manchester now. Where abouts is your workshop Andy? Maybe I can have a quick spin on one next time I’m visiting? 🙂

OCB
    Free Member

I think there’s a lot to be said for getting rid of all the modern technology and relying on geometry to make a bike exciting to ride.

That’s the spirit – riding like it should be!

😛

jonestown
    Free Member

Chambord, I’m about a mile out of Oswestry, send me a PM if you fancy heading over to check it out, you’re more than welcome.

re the seatpost joint, there needs to be a weld for structural rigidity, without it the frame would be a little flexy side to side. The idea behind the twin top tube is one of strength, all forces are transferred the full length of the bike and not to a junction, this also results in the bike being noticeably more comfortable. It’s quite complex to get it right, plus I think it looks great.

re seatpost size, frame runs a 27.2 post. This is the only acceptable size if you plan on using a regular post on a hardtail. The ethos of the bike is all about getting away from technology, though I have to admit dropper posts are great. I work in a trail centre (llandegla) and we see a lot of dropper posts coming back with problems. Thompson are about to release a 27.2 dropper which is of amazing quality. X-fusion also make a hydraulic one that works as well as anything on the market.

re cable guides – the ones in the picture were put on the wrong side and were for a front mech or dropper post. I’d been toying with the production frame being 1×10 specific but the overwhelming feedback I’ve had is that it should be SSable. At tis stage I think I’d be daft not to cover all options. In future, and depending on demand, I think i’ll offer the frame 3 ways.

Hope all this helps, and thanks for your interest. cheers, Andy

letmetalktomark

Andy …. Thanks for the clarification.

I’m glad it has a 27.2mm post.

Being a general technological luddite the simplicity of a well thought out rigid 29er HT really appeals. My Genesis Fortitude is my most ridden bike 🙂

Registering interest 🙂

chambord
    Free Member

Chambord, I’m about a mile out of Oswestry, send me a PM if you fancy heading over to check it out, you’re more than welcome.

Thanks for the kind offer – I’ll no doubt take you up on it next time I’m heading over that way 🙂

tazzymtb

Stooge will be at ssuk 14

BillOddie

I really like that. If only I hadn’t just bought a Karate Monkey…

bonesetter
    Free Member

What weight is the frame?

Also, do you have an expectation of when you will have 1×9/10 compatible frames?

And, what colours are available?

16.5″ CS sounds fun 🙂

Cheers

jonestown
    Free Member

I’ll need to strip the bike down to get a weight, but I will post it in due course.

I have 100 frames on order, 5 of which will be SS, 20 will be purple, and 75 will be the aqua blue from the photos. once i’ve sold these (who knows how long this could take!:) i’ll probably make a 1×10 specific, a SS and an adventure version with all the braze ons.

cheers, Andy

core

Any reason for the layback post a shown, or have you just built this one up from parts bin/to your preference?

daver27
    Free Member

not really my type of bike, but i really like that. price seems pretty damned good too.

takisawa2

Lovely. Just lovely.

Now, if only it could take a Knard at the rear… 😉

Seriously though, well done to Stooge.

Bazz

I like that, maybe one day.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Looks very nice indeed. Another non-FBer here, how does one find out more?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Will these be dipped before painting to help with rust proofing similar to what Cotic do to their frames?

avdave2

I really like the look of that, fantastic colour but I reckon the graphic panel could be a tad longer. Now are you going to make it in a size for the shorter among us who like rigid bikes but appreciate the extra comfort of bigger wheels. I’ve experimented running my rigid bike as a 69er which has convinced me that bigger wheels really are a benefit when there’s no suspension. Also what’s taking care of chain tension on the ss and will it adapt easily to running a Rohloff.

slowjo
    Free Member

I have a weakness for a sorted looking steel bike…hence the Swift and a Niner.

Looks interesting.

Rorschach
    Free Member

getting rid of all the modern technology

[troll] but it’s got disc brakes 🙄 [/troll]

Paceman
    Free Member

I like that a lot 🙂

doof_doof
    Free Member

Been following this for a while, looks very interesting. Good to see a UK design *finally* with proper short chain stays.

jonestown
    Free Member

cheers for all your comments and questions.

here goes: would also love to fit a knard on the rear, but I had to choose between large tyre or short stays, the way the bike feels I think I made the right choice. Having sad that, a 29er+ platform is something I’m interested in doing.

layback post – what I had lying around (like I have Thomson posts just lying around)

Chain tension is going to be via EBB. It will come fully prepared so you shouldn’t have any issues. Next batch will include regular threaded bb for those that want.

re sizing, at this stage I’m only producing the one size. It can be shrunk pretty well, but if enough people are intrested I’d be willing to consider a smaller frame.

Oh yeah, frame comes rustproofed too.

thanks again for your comments, Andy

Frankers
    Free Member

Like the look of this but how about sizing? TT ST dimensions

Sorry if you already covered this but couldn’t see it noted

triple_s

Looks really nice, pretty similar to what I’ve been designing in my head only thing I’d like different is a shorter headtube and or fork. With a 4″ headtube it’d be perfect!

I think I might still have to get one 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Looks great! Lovely colour. Don’t need another rigid 29er, but if I did, and couldn’t afford a Jones, this would be right up there.

avdave2

only thing I’d like different is a shorter headtube and or fork.

I’d second that, that way you could have a small with a relatively low stack height. I’ve run a 29 wheel in my 445mm RC31′ and there is loads of clearance.

Looking forward to seeing all the geometry figures.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.