Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • stolen bike recovered!
  • jono1982
    Free Member

Its not everyday you hear of success stories when bikes go missing..

3 bikes were stolen back in november from my buddies place in Redhill, an sx trail, pinnacle dirtjumper and an old chameleon singlespeed.

on friday randomly came across gumtree ad in brighton offering a pinnacle dirtjump bike with “maveric rims and xtm cranks” that looked almost identical in every way to my friends ride..
    me and two other mates replyed to the add and asked to come view it, making out like we were genuine buyers. eventually he gave his adress and we went round to identify it the next morning.

the seller was a weed smoking part time DJ who had bought it of a guy who comes to his nightclub (belive that or not).
    we gave him the option of just walking away with the bike, or getting the police round, which he chose the latter.

brighton police were keen to come round, and the PC on duty was an mtb’er too so was really helpful. they cuffed and arrested the seller on suspision of handling stolen goods and took him and the bike to the station, for statments as to where he aquired the bike.

the bike is now back with its very happy rightful owner.
    we may now have picked up the scent for the remaining two bikes.

backround info here

sx trail

rOcKeTdOg

Great stuff! I have 3 missing from last month 🙁

uwe-r
    Free Member

Well done all round. 🙂

Staberind
    Free Member

Result! 😀
    Wouldn’t have been on Montpelier Rd, in Brighton by any chance? I’ve had 2 Cannondales have been ripped off while living around there, although I have my suspicions, I cant find anything conclusive.
    I figure they’d be long gone though, to feed someones nasty habit.

jono1982
    Free Member

The bike was temporarily residing at a flat share on St Leonard’s Avenue in Hove, but was stolen during a house burglary in Redhill, Surrey..

The seller was going to be charged with handling stolen goods, or if he genuinely did not know it was stolen, he must identify the person he “bought” the bike from.

We basically did the ground work for the police and handed them a conviction on a platter, I doubt the outcome would have been the same if we had simply given the police the gumtree advert, and left it to them.

The more bikes that get recovered, and thieves / buyers convicted, the less attractive it becomes to buy a stolen bike. Eventually expensive bikes will be not worth the hassle to steal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘stolen bike recovered!’ is closed to new replies.