Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stockport to Sheffield mountain bike route
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

Anyone got a good Stockport to Sheffield (via the Hope Valley) mountain bike route, on GPX or Strava?
    Looking at doing this one-way (then coming back on train), think it would be a good day out. Realise this will be a hard route (probably 75k+ and around 2000m of ascent?) but been wanting to do this for a while

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Sorry, no gpx, but you could leave Stockport via Chadkirk, Peak Forest Canal and Sett Valley Trail to get to Hayfield. Many great routes across the hills via Edale or Castleton.

Another CX-style option is just to take the Trans Pennine Trail across then work your way south.

I got the train to Hathersage and followed the southern skyline of the Hope Valley westwards as far as the Pennine Bridleway then north to Hayfield and back into Stockport via Sett Valley and Peak Forest Canal.

HTH
    Paul

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve done it (Manchester to Sheffield on road there, off road back for charity) but I don’t have GPX.
    There is surprisingly very little road if you work it properly and from Stockport to very near Sheffield it’s really good mountain biking. If it helps at all, you could maybe stitch together:
    Follow River Mersey and then River Goyt to Woodbank Park, Otterspool, Chadkirk Chapel, Marple, Roman Lakes, Mellor Cross, Birch Vale, Hayfield, South Head, Rushup Edge, Mam Tor, Edale, Jaggers Clough, Win Hill, Bamford, Stanage and Fox Houses. That is in reverese of our route and I don’t know the names of the Sheffield areas but I remember we rode through a large park near the city centre.
    It’s a tough old mtb ride.

opusone
    Free Member

Here’s one I made to include lots of the nicer descents, including Jacob’s ladder, Beast of Hope, Stanage plantation, Jumble Road and Devil’s Elbow.

Just an idea, and you could vary quite a few bits of it, such as going straight down porter clough (turn left at Ringinglow, then turn right down into the valley) or getting the train home from Dore station.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

I think using the Sett Valley Trail is a must otherwise the total amount of elevation would become too much if it were to include hills between Marple and Heyfield in addition to all the other stuff that comes later.

Would it not be easier going via Rushup Edge instead of Jacobs Ladder, climbing wise ?

crazy-legs

I much prefer going out along Rushup. Jacobs as a descent is rubbish primarily because of the sheer bloody awful ride/push all the way up from the bottom of Coldwell Clough. Descending Jacobs in no way makes up for that climb!

Going out via Rushup though is all rideable and far more interesting, it also gives you an extra free descent off Mam Nick/Mam Tor.

You’d be amazed at the off-road options out of Stockport, there are loads of possibilities. Not all easy to describe though! It’s not exactly somewhere I’d go for MTBing but there’s plenty of easy off-roading to be had to get out of town.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve done it a couple of times (well, from Manchester), very doable. I’ve wondered about the best ways of doing it. Perhaps not the shortest, and definitely not the quickest, but this is what I’d do:

Get to Edale. I don’t know the west side of the peak very well but there are loads of options. Up Jagger’s / Hope Cross / Beast (Or Potato Alley if sir prefers) / Rowlee climb / Lockerbrook. At Ladybower, I’d cross over then go up the steep stones to the top of Derwent Edge (For a bit extra go up to Lost Lad) then back towards the Ladybower Inn (Chose your descent). If it’s quiet, up the road and then along Stanage Top, but otherwise do the road climb up to Stanage Causeway.

Getting into Sheffield centre off road is a bit trickier. Porter Clough is well known but a bit dull. I’d prefer the techier Rivelin valley to Bole Hills (via Stanage Pole (RIP) to Redmires, but difficult to find without a guide.)

I think if you’re looking for the most efficient route then you’ll end up riding disappointing stuff. My route includes a few unnecessary / indirect climbs. Best to make a day of it and try and tie some great bits together.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

OPUSONE’s route looks great I fancy that but getting the train from sheff to stockport

I much prefer going out along Rushup. Jacobs as a descent is rubbish primarily because of the sheer bloody awful ride/push all the way up from the bottom of Coldwell Clough. Descending Jacobs in no way makes up for that climb!

Madness, it’s certainly a pain since they put the bloody cobbles down but it’s still well worth it as for me this is my fav descent in the dark peak.

opusone
    Free Member

Would it not be easier going via Rushup Edge instead of Jacobs Ladder, climbing wise ?

Aye, no doubt, but I really like Jacob’s ladder – as jameswilliams54 says it’s definitely one of the best descents in the dark peak. I also think that the eastern section of rushup edge (where the bridleway splits with the footpath) is horrible. It’s always a boggy mess whenever I’ve been up there.

You could cut off a bit of climb by ignoring the bit at stanage (you could make that decision during the ride) but I’ve more-or-less done that route and it’s not *too* knackering.

I’d prefer the techier Rivelin valley to Bole Hills (via Stanage Pole (RIP) to Redmires, but difficult to find without a guide.)

Not sure that’s kosher. I may be wrong.

Superficial
    Free Member

Not sure that’s kosher. I may be wrong.

Some of it is.

opusone
    Free Member

Actually, you can also eliminate a bit of climb by not going up towards mount famine but just following the valley top the north up to the start of coldwell clough.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I finally managed to do this ride today:

https://www.strava.com/activities/536879083

With 2378 metres of ascent it was really tough but the hardest about the ride was replacing the calories burned

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Good effort

Looks like you scored the Devil’s Elbow but missed Lady Cannings!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stockport to Sheffield mountain bike route’ is closed to new replies.