Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stinking shoes
  • footflaps

My winter cycling boots (Spesh Defrosters) still smell…..

During a week of riding the 7 Stanes in the wet at Easter, they never properly dried out in the B&B and have now developed their own unique aroma which isn’t going away. I’ve tried denture steriliser tablets in them, washing thoroughly etc.

What can I do, bar soak then in bleach, to kill the bacteria that seems to have taken hold?

I’m pretty sure bleach will work, but it will probably also destroy the waterproof membrane, which would be a shame.

wwaswas

this was on Dragons Den so must be ace but new shoes will be cheaper;

http://www.win-health.com/klenz-multipurpose-sanitiser.html

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’ve found that leaving my stinky shoes in strong sun all day (yeah, I know, chance would be a fine thing) renders them safe again.

footflaps

That sanitiser might be cost effective over a few years – I’ve binned several sets of walking boots after they developed their own eco-systems!

brakes
    Free Member

Taking the insoles out and cleaning them makes a big difference.
    I’ve managed to get them to not stink by putting them in the washing machine which isn’t ideal and then making sure they are put in a hot dry environment (hair dryer) and dried thoroughly.
    Problem is the stink lingers, although not as bad, as soon as they get damp inside.

brakes
    Free Member

if that Klenz sanitiser does work, there must surely be companies who can offer services using such a device? do dry-cleaners offer such a service?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use some anti fungal footpowder that was recommended from my doctor, I think it’s called Arnica (or something like that, I’ll check when I get home) It’s in a yellow and red squeezy bottle and is like talc.

I don’t normally suffer with smelly feet but now and again my shoes stink, this both dries them out and stops fungal stuff growing leading to no smell.

footflaps

bikebouy – let me know the make and I’ll give it a go!

brakes – was just thinking that, I could invest in one and offer an STW shoe sanitisation service!

deus

ace gentle bleach or i have some antibac sport wash (quick trip to kitchen) “halo sport wash” from a supermarket de-stinks all my cycling gear 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Give the shoes a good scrub [take the insoles out – with very hot water and washing powder/liquid
    Leave them to dry in the sun

Bicarbonate of Soda sprinkled inside when they’re dry

emsz
    Free Member

Like Jota.

Heaps of bicarbonate of Soda, give them a shake, tip out the BoS.

Instant no smelly

captaincarbon
    Free Member

+1 for bicarb. Leave it in overnight.

mcobie
    Free Member

Inside a plastic bag and then stick them in the freezer for a day or two…works wonders on mine.

Flaperon

The Klenz thing doesn’t work, or at least it was absolutely useful on my pongy climbing boots.

Fill them with bicarb or Ajax or something.

wwaswas

doesn’t work, or at least it was absolutely useful on my pongy climbing boots

*can’t work out if this is a ringing endorsement or a harsh criticism*

footflaps

I’ll give bicarb a go, and if that fails – bleach!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Virkon-S FTW

Available from all good farm suppliers – soak em in it overnight before rinsing out, or put some in the drawer of the washing machine for a shoe wash

hmanchester
    Free Member

It’s bacteria and fungus that cause the smell. A quick spray of Scholl shoe spray when I take them off does the trick. Ended up using it for all my shoes, just sits on the rack.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stinking shoes’ is closed to new replies.