Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Still struggling with rubbing brakes…advice needed please
  • filks

I have bled and re bled my brakes – formula oro K18s – and, on the advice of this forum, used silicone spray to try to lube the pistons at the caliper to allow a better release.

But I’m still struggling to get the pads to return without them staying rubbing on the discs.

What am I doing wrong? any advice gratefully received….
    Just for my education is it just the little spring between the pads that should be pushing them back? it’s not exactly super powered but is springing well when removed.

TIA

brownix
    Free Member

If you have honestly tried everything else, just get a thinner rotor.

seavers
    Free Member

Just a thought, maybe you could be over filling the system with fluid? Therefore the pads can not retract away from the rotors?

neilthewheel

If it is IS mount, getting the mounts faced can sometimes help.

seavers
    Free Member

Another thought. What pads are you using? It might be that they are a thicker than formula branded pads?

JAG

Pads are pushed off by the springs…

Pistons are pulled back by the piston seals…

Hence it’s important to make sure the pistons move easily. I remove the brake pads and then slowly pull the brake lever to get the piston to move out. Then I smear some Brake fluid around the edge of the piston and push the pistons back in. Pump them out again and push back in – repeat this until the pistons move freely. The brake fluid will help lubricate the seals and make the pistons retract properly.

Should solve all your problems.

filks

Thanks all for advice.

Brake fluid or silicone spray to lube the pistons? I may not have given it enough go’s to get the pistons fully moving

Greybeard
    Free Member

I had similar problems with Avid Juicys. What was the clue for me was that once I’d lubricated the pistons (I used silicone grease, applied to the edge of the piston with a cocktail stick) I still couldn’t get them apart enough, but when I pushed one in, the other moved out. So I let a bit of fluid out at the lever. That fixed the clearance issue, the front was perfect but the back had too much lever travel, so I bled it, then it was fine.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Same as I said to somebody here yesterday.. The diaphragm tends to fall to bits, and clog up the port on the master cylinder, making them pump up.

JAG

I’d always use the same brake fluid that you fit in the brakes – that way you can be sure of compatibility between the lubricant and the seal.

If you get this wrong the seal material can swell and cause the pistons to jam – this is usually not fixable.

filks

bikewhisperer – so this issue with the diaphragm means they ‘pump up’ and don’t release? This sounds like it could be the issue but they have only been used for the last 18 months or so for mainly commuting, they were new before fitting. Is this something I can reasonably expect to have happened?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Still struggling with rubbing brakes…advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.