Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Step by step guide No 2. Converting a Lumicycle HID into a LED – with piccies
  • Vortexracing

Righto Folks, to follow the thread I started on the Lumicycle halogen conversion. I thought I would do the same with the HID Halogen conversion as people have been asking about it, so here goes.

I used a XPG triple with a narrow lens and a Bflex driver (Approx 1000lumens when run at 1 amp)

JOB 1

I have had some heatsinks turned especially for the job.

These need a 6mm hole in the centre adding for the LED wires to run through.

and then a small 'notch' filing in it to locate on the screw that holds the mounting bracket in

place. The mountain bracket has a spacer under it, remove this so the screw sits into the housing

like this.

It's best to do this by sliding the heatsink into housing adding the LED's and optic and screwing

the cover in place. File the notch enough to allow the housing screw cover to just fit ie touch

the rear housing.

This completes the heatsink work.

JOB 2

I have used a Bflex driver this allows you to have 5 settings and it's programmable for

Temperature and voltage (ie it will switch down a power level when/if it gets hot)

I used 3 amp wire from Maplins.

Solder all 6 connections on the driver. All 6 wire lengths should be approx 35mm long.

JOB 3

The you will need a new switch it's this one

The switch is a momentary switch, you only need to wire 1 connection on it though (Ie it only

needs to work one way)

Solder according to the piccy, I use 3.5mm heatshrink as a precaution that is also available from

Maplins.

JOB 4

The next thing to do is solder the connection, if you want to us a new one then this is the one

for a 2.1 pin, I think the lumi ones are 2.5mm. Maplin have these as well or you can just use

your old one from the existing lamp.

I cut of one of the outer connections so ther is less for anything to snag when assembled.

My battery is not a lumi one so is centre positive a limucycle battery is centre negative,

remember this when soldering your connnections. Ie for a Lumi battery the neg from the driver

will go to the centre pin on the connector.

JOB 5

Push the LED's wires through the heatsink and trim to approx 25ish long, ie enough for you to

solder the LED board but not to much that you can't fit it inside the heatsink relief. Then

solder the LED board to the wires.

JOB 6

Try a dry assemble before adding any heat transfer compound and make sure everything fits, the

relief in the heatsink allows plenty of room for the wires and driver.

JOB 7

Wrap the driver in insulation tape OR heatshrink. I would have used heatshrink but I did not have

the right size. You will need at least 25mm dia. If using insulation tape, wrap the driver with

at least 4 lots of it and fold it down on either side of the driver.

JOB 8

I used non setting heat transfer paste, as this will allow me to upgrade as new LED's are

available. Put the heat transfer paste under the LED board and push this onto the heatsink.

JOB 9

Then put heat transfer paste around the rear of the heatsink and install the lot into the

housing. Clean off any excess heat transfer paste and fasten the connector and switch and then

screw on the front of the housing or cap

JOB 10

Plug your connector in and switch on and Voila

JOB 11

Alter the settings from the default by folowing the instructions for the driver ie set the max

current (I use 1 amp) set the temp to 80deg C and then open a well earned beer.

1000lumens (if using a triple XPG LED) and no more hassle about fragile HID bulbs.

any questions mail me it's in the profile.

I have about 5 heatsinks left BTW if anybody wants one.

Happy Soldering

Chuck

stumpy01

Holy Crap! That looks good. Shame I don't have a HID can.

ALthough, I've not even pulled my finger out far enough to convert my halogen cans yet!!

Vortexracing

what's your finger in Stumpy? 🙂

get a move on or it will be summer soon

smudge
    Free Member

Well done Vortex 8) job well done

Vortexracing

cheers smudge

bruneep

ygm

Dave
    Free Member

Hey Chucky,

I'm interested in a heatsink

dave@singletrackworld.com

Vortexracing

I'll get in contact with you guys about heatsinks tonight when i get in from work.

cheers

chuck

snaps
    Free Member

I've got some alloy lamp housings & a completed conversion available if anyones interested.

neil853
    Free Member

riding wednesday chucky? 😆

Vortexracing

riding wednesday chucky?

Hopefully, got to try my new light out 😆 if the snow stays off that is.

ring/mail me tonight and we can sort the final times and place out.

lowey

Spot on Dave. But as mentioned the other week in your garage, your next project must be the conversion of a Trailtech HID to LED please. 😛 😛

Vortexracing

Already underway Dave, but i think the one i'm doing is a bigger housing than yours.

All the bit's should be the same, just the heatsink will have to be bespoke.

atlaz
    Free Member

Hi Chucky, I'd be up for a heatsink, happy to pay or make a donation to charity or whatever.

Vortexracing

You guys got mail about the heatsinks.

Ta

Chuck

renton
    Free Member

ive got a trailtech hid from a few years back and would love to convert it to leds!

am i right in thinking you are doing one at the moment??

if not do you fancy having a go at mine??

email in profile mate if you want to have a chat!!

cheers

steve

Vortexracing

Steve YGM

bruneep

Finally got it built up. Many thanks to Chucky for his assistance and patience with me.

Low

High

Get a proper test early tomorrow.

B

Vortexracing

well done Bruce, looks good and it doesn't matter how many times you switch it on or off, it has no life issues like the HID bulbs.

Happy riding

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Step by step guide No 2. Converting a Lumicycle HID into a LED – with piccies’ is closed to new replies.