Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Steel frames for racing. Your views
  • willyboy
    Free Member

Steel will be fine. As long as it fits you and you’re happy with it, it doesn’t really matter what its made off.

ps decent race wheels (+tyres/tubs) will benefit you far more than a fancy frame.

pps it’s your fitness that counts not what your bike frame is made of.

oldgit
    Free Member

pps it’s your fitness that counts not what your bike frame is made of.

Sticks fingers in ears…la la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaaa…..can’t hear you…..

Simon-E

there won’t be 3lbs difference in the frame.

300 grammes won’t really make any difference anyway.

oldgit, if you find a frame that you like and it is adequately stiff then go ahead. The differences are small even if they are perceptible and, as others have pointed out, there’s more to be gained performance-wise elsewhere.

More importantly, you would have the joy of appreciating it aesthetically every time you parked it up, washed it, rode it. On that score mrmo’s LeMond hits the spot for me. That’s a nice looking bike, lovely colours, something to be proud of.

njee20
    Free Member

More importantly, you would have the joy of appreciating it aesthetically every time you parked it up

I disagree, with the exception of the English I think all of the frames pictured look crap, whilst a Pinarello Prince I would happily just hang on my wall and never use.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i think the internet must be broken, everytime i look for images of a Pinarello Prince – my screen goes all wibbly, like i’m looking in a circus mirror.

weird…

wings
    Free Member

The English bikes look lovely.

Met and ridden with Rob (the owner/designer) a couple of times too, pretty handy bike rider winning Gorrick Enduro/Bristol Bike Fest Solo on a rigid!

fasthaggis

Oldgit

Far better to be riding/racing something you love, than some space ship that promises 3 more places up the LVRC ladder ,and turns you in to one of those super serious old codgers with the 1000 yard stare. 😆 😉

crazy-legs

whilst a Pinarello Prince I would happily just hang on my wall and never use.

Firstly, you have no taste.
    Secondly, not using it is good cos it’d only break if you did use it!

njee20
    Free Member

😆

The new Dogma with the green accents would certainly do! Woulnd’t pay £3500 for a frame, but I do like the look of them!

Gorrick Enduro/Bristol Bike Fest Solo on a rigid!

A 16lb-handmade-in-his-garage rigid none the less, scary!

oldgit
    Free Member

Mmmmmm
    Mercian, SRAM Force, 3t, Aspide, Reflex tubs on Pro 3s

njee20
    Free Member

SRAM Force? Really? Not just me with no taste then 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

If I was starting from scratch I’d go with Campag. But all my other stuff is Shimano so SRAM for the crossover and it’s a fair bit lighter.

Stuey01
    Free Member

SRAM Force is awesome.

njee20
    Free Member

And nastier!

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Those condors are been released. Called them earlier.

Perfect purchase for crit racing next year!

Bazz

One day when i’m rich i’ll build up one of these

steve_b77
    Free Member

I have to admit, that despite just getting my hands on a new carbon road bike; I ride past Holdsworth Cycles every day and the Orange Steel bikes they have in the window look awesome.

And they appear to have 10% off them at the moment too 🙄

Macavity
    Free Member

Anyone for stainless steel ?
    http://www.kvastainless.com/tubing-info.html

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Steel frames for racing. Your views’ is closed to new replies.