Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stans rims – Which ones to go for?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Hi all

Looking to get myself a lightish set of wheels for my Anthem. Not sure whether to get Crests, Arch/Arch Ex or 355s.Was going to go with the Crests but unsure of durability. I’m not a heavy rider, nor will I be doing anything on them other than general trail riding. Also seen a good deal on the 355s, are they the old style Crests, any good?

Hub wise, was thinking of getting Hope 2s, but I see I can get superstars for far cheaper. Anyone got any feedback on these?

Basically I can get the 355s, built on Superstar hubs by my LBS for under 200 quid, as opposed to 330 ish for Hope Hoops so any advice would be appreciated.

ta

swompy
    Free Member

I have hope straightpull hubs with crests, lovely light wheels, tranformed my bike, and still true, Im 11 stone and not an aggresive rider.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, 355s are the old Crests, they’re a pretty tough rim, would suit a light rider on an Anthem for sure.

mattstreet

Crests are the successor to the 355. For the riding you describe either would be be spot on, and I’d be very tempted by that deal on the 355s!

bigjim

Crests are fantastic rims, I am 13 stone and didn’t have a problem with them, riding xc. I now have arches which are great too, but I did kind of prefer the Crests just for the little extra little bit of width giving the tyres a nicer profile.

bigjim

Oh and I had the Switch Evo hubs from superstar too, thought they were excellent, pawl system isn’t as robust as a Hope but very nice hubs. Don’t get a superstar build though.

JamieMc
    Free Member

2 sets of Stans ZTR 355s on pro2s on my hard tails. They are a nice balance of lightweight and durability. The 355s are a little bit more burly than the crests i think. Ive been running one set on a ragley and the other on an XC race bike and neither have came out of true in just under a years use. Id say get the 355s but im sure others will have differing opinions.

Merlin were doing 355s reduced a while back, maybe they still have them on offer…

chakaping
    Free Member

You can get hope hoops with crests for 265 if you shpp around. i woild get exactly those if i had an anthem

dickie
    Free Member

I have a pair of Superstar Switch/Crest & Hope Pro 2/355.

Not had problems with the Superstars, lighter than the Hope/355, & as above the same tyre is slightly wider on the Crest rim.

ssboggy

I’d go for the Crests over the 355s if you can afford it, with crests you’ll only need yellow tape but with the 355s you may need the stans rim strips

JamieMc
    Free Member

I’d go for the Crests over the 355s if you can afford it, with crests you’ll only need yellow tape but with the 355s you may need the stans rim strips

ive got the yellow tape on both sets of my 355s and had no problems getting them to seal with tubless and standard tyres.

mdavids
    Free Member

If you’re planning on going tubeless, 18bikes are doing hope hoops with crests and a tubeless kit for £320. They’ll get you coloured hubs as well rather than the plain black you normally get with factory hoops if thats your thing. I Managed to get some 9mm thru axle adapters thrown in as well. Mine are in the post and hopefully turning up tomorrow.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stans rims – Which ones to go for?’ is closed to new replies.