Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Standish Woods…
  • DarrenH

Hello all,
    To cut a long story short,
    a guy at work asked me about the trails in Standish woods earlier today.
    We had a drive up beacon lane (by the pub)
    and saw a few promising footpaths (cheeky trails?)
    but that was mostly it.
    Help please all you local stw'ers!

shaunthesheep
    Free Member

lots to find in a small area…just have a wander

Coyote
    Free Member

Which Standish Woods? do you mean Mill Dam or Elnup?

Vortexracing

Which Standish Woods?

yeah where abouts, living in Coppull, i'm very interested

DarrenH

Sorry guys, the Standish woods in the Stroud/Stonehouse area.
    Off of Edge lane/ Painswick road.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

loads of tracks (pretty much all cheeky) in the woods,however they all pretty much end up at the bottom by the old quarry.

Coyote
    Free Member

OK, so that'll be about 150 miles away then. I'll leave it. 😳

Vortexracing

the Standish woods in the Stroud/Stonehouse area

ah, that explains why i did not know of them.

tang
    Free Member

if you can catch alias from here (hes not about much this summer) he knows all the singletrack there. you can put in randwick also. i think with local knowledge theres a handy loop there.

DarrenH

Cheers guys, spotted the car park on our drive through
    Do any trails start from there?

pushbikerider
    Free Member

Baring in mind the local knowledge bit we're often in that area and folks are always welcome to come along for a ride:

Bigfoot Mountain Bike Club

Keep an eye on the ride calendar and drop us a line via the website if you fancy coming along 🙂

shaunthesheep
    Free Member

Darren

2nd pushbiker

lots of knowledge in that there club

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Billinge woods are better… and 150 miles closer (for us wiganers) … give us a shout if ya wanna mooch round there ;O)

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Darren,

If you ride from Edge towards Haresfield, just as you get off the A4173 after about 250m there is a wood on the right. Get in there and there are some really good trails that lead you near to Standish woods (always keep left in the forest tracking the road).

Once you get to the end you will find you are on a junction with a sign post to harefield beacon. Head that way and you will see the car park. Just beofre the car park is a gate and 2 different walking routes. Take the lower route and after a few meters it opens up into 2 / 3 trails.

All of these end up at the bike specific area at the bottom, but I normally take the lower trail on the right to get down to the bottom and then come up on the left hand one.

But once you get to the bottom head left and you will see the bike firendly area. The Cotswold way markers all lead there too.

But just have a look around as there are loads of routes that you can link together to have some fun.

Esme
    Free Member

Lawmanmx, would that be the Billinge in Billinge, or the Billinge in Blackburn?

DarrenH

Excellent, nice one Dan

Dancake
    Free Member

I love standish woods.

I start at the car park and stay at the top of 3 paths. Nearly straight away a track is denoted by a post that leads you off to the left and takes you all the way to the quarry pretty much. There is even some new stuff with a couple of berms (created by NT and Hartpury college I think). Along the trail look out for 4 ft high posts (some have pics of bikes on them) these tell you where to go

At the quarry there is a few bits to play around on and it is a starting point for a few bits, the main one being the "DH" which is great fun and reasonably fast.

Going the other way, there is a trail that starts near the whiteshill road which goes alongside the road down to edge which is fun too. When you get there it is a short hop to painswick/ cranham and off you go again.

A Note on The quarry.

The "DH" starts on a very natural looking, but graveled path. This is a longbarrow and enthusiasts want us to stop destroying it. Please see this post

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/randwick-longbarrow-preservation-or-is-it-standish-or-haresfileld.

The preservers had put some vegetation in place, and a few big logs, but alas these have all been pulled away and bikes are riding over it again.

Sorry if this makes no sense..there is beer in the fridge

Coyote
    Free Member

Billinge woods does indeed yield some good riding.*
    *That's Billinge Woods, on the outskirts of Billinge, just behind Billinge Hill. Strewth that's a lot of Billinge.

james-o
    Free Member

keep it quiet people, this is partly how woburn got all the attention. if it's not a bridleway, pls just show people, directions posted up online aren't the best way to keep local walker/biker realtions sweet… the anti's have google too 😉

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

yaa that would be Billinge IN Billinge on Billinge hill near Billinge woods errrrm Wigan, Lmao

DarrenH

Guys, do all of the trails you've mentioned head over towards randwick?
    Hoping to get up there thursday morning (fingers crossed)

DarrenH

Got a ride in there this morning.
    Gotta say, absolutely brilliant 🙂
    Thanks for the help guys.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Standish Woods…’ is closed to new replies.