Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • stanchion wear i may have messed up content
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I have some boxxers on my YT Tues from 2016.

earlier this summer I noticed some stanchion wear on the left side, sent an email to YT and they said to send the whole fork back to take a look at for possible warranty (at my expense). I however said that I didn’t want to do that as I had DH races, holidays booked etc and needed the DH shred sled/rig gnarpoon etc etc.

anyhow, I did regular oil changes etc but now the stanchion is worn much more significantly. I presume I cannot send it back anymore (?), so my question is if I buy a replacement stanchion, will it happen again? is there something fundamentally wrong with the fork?

My guess is there was not enough oil in the fork from new and the wear happened, so if I replace it should be fine?

I’m by no means moaning at the warranty or direct sales. I made a choice but wondering how to proceed. ta!

mildbore

If it’s only a year old there shouldn’t be stanchion wear but it is due a service. The wear suggests problem with a seal, so muck gets in and causes the wear. Seals replaced on a service, so when you sort it it shouldn’t reoccur

P-Jay
    Free Member

I would suspect as you kept using it when they asked you to send it in and unintentionally allowed it to get worse they will have enough to void your claim, if they want to – you could argue the stanchion was borked anyway.

Don’t just buy another stanchion unless you have fixed the root cause, it doesn’t seem like a lack of oil if you kept changing it and it continued to get worst – sounds like a broken/damaged bush or something.

I’d personally speak to TF Tuned, they will almost certainly be able to fix it at least, and I think (someone else will confirm) that they may well be able to speak to SRAM if they think it’s a manufacturing issue on your behalf without having to go to YT.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I did lower leg services myself, didn’t replace the seals however.

It may be that if the seal was borked then dirt would still get in, despite my best efforts with regular oil changes.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I did lower leg services myself, didn’t replace the seals however.

Did you clean and grease them?

I’m not sure on RS, but when Fox forks eat themselves it’s usually a worn bush and that’s not really a DIY replacement.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yes full clean and grease with judy butter. yum yum

steveh

On boxxers it’s normally that they were shipped without any oil in or a very small amount. Pretty common fault.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d send it back to YT and hope for the best.

They were unlikely to want to keep that stanchion anyway, so you have a clear conscience IMO.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What he says ^^^

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok cheers, i’ll send it back.

if they say no, best port of call if someone like TF tuned for new seals, bush, service and new stanchion

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘stanchion wear i may have messed up content’ is closed to new replies.