Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SS – tensioner, chain length, single pivot, full sus – cock up
  • rapiddescent

my normal SS K2 Razorback bike with the push shock has broken and the parts never came from america in time so I’ve had to build up a spare Proflex Carbon frame. It is a single pivot bike and I’m having a total ‘mare with the surly singulator.

I can’t get the chain length right. I was skipping cogs and I took one link out and it is now too short to max out the travel. The Proflex seems to need an enormous chain length differential.

The surly singulator is quite short and it’s unlikely that I’m going to find a longer singulator before tomorrow – so do you think the chain will be OK if it is taking the tension of being the travel stop on the full sus frame?

I have got a slightly longer shock that I could use but it is rather too much fannying around than I’m used to.

robbo1234biking

Can you not put a half link in? charliethebikemonger usually has pretty good service so you could get one for tomoz?

Stoner
    Free Member

so do you think the chain will be OK if it is taking the tension of being the travel stop on the full sus frame?

not something I would want to test without a fist full of powerlinks.

rapiddescent

already have two powerlinks in the chain! It seems to be at a critical point of either the chain being too short or “skipping the cog fandango” at the back.

About to put a longer shock in the bike to ease up the chain length a bit. luckily enough, I have a shelf of shocks for these bikes.

Stoner
    Free Member

i have three or four in my SS (I keep buggering around with chainwheel/sprocket teeth numbers) – doesnt worry me, the powerlink is no less reliable than a normal link IMO.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yea, the suspension will rip the chain appart if its not long enough.

do you have a spare shimano road mech? Take the lower arm off and lock the top part in the right position (either with an inch of cable or a longer limit stop screw) and it should have quite a lot of movement still.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes just run it through a rear mach. I gave up on my singulator it was so mince. Still sold well on ebay mind.

Dibbs
    Free Member

What you need is one of these:-

http://www.paulcomp.com/melvin.html

adeward
    Free Member

i have a whyte preston single speed and used to run a marin mount vision as a single speed

and both wouldnt work with a normal singlulator type tensioner as they both had the same problem as yours

i realy didnt want to run a rear mech or one of those paul comp things as it just wouldnt look right but now i run an old sunn dh tensioner which mounts on the bb i have been riding my mount vision as a single speed since 2000 and it’s never dropped a chain

the tensioner is much like a sprung roxx rolla coasta

i’m rubbish at posting pics but here is the link

http://image75.webshots.com/75/6/77/43/2371677430036898833cKoMAq_fs.jpg

be nice to preston as he may bite

Smee
    Free Member

use a rear mech.

rapiddescent

just added a new 16T. the one I had on has been used since the 2001 SS at Afan. remember that? It was pretty shagged and I hadn’t noticed.

This one actually has teeth which helps. I am going to lengthen the chain and digg out one of these DH stylee tensioners. Has any one got a picture of the tensioner Ade mentions above?

adeward
    Free Member

maybe this link will work does show the setup i use

i am trying to replace my freewheel and front ring they are both from the afan race as well i think i was 111th in the world that year

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SS – tensioner, chain length, single pivot, full sus – cock up’ is closed to new replies.