• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by rone.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sram XX1/X01/X1 Cassette on Hope XD Driver issues
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

it appears when I tighten my cassette onto the hope xd driver, using the lockring tool it gets pushed out, every turn I tighten it pushes the lock ring tool further out, to the point when you need to crank it up torque wise you end up right on the edge of the splines and have already stripped the very end of the cassette threads

is there a specific tool to use for these? my current tool worked fine on the sram XD driver, but not liking this hope xd driver

any mechanics out there?

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I’ve noticed this too – as the cassette goes on the tool starts to push against the axle endcap.
    To stop slippage, I generally bolt the tool on (either with a qr or some long 10mm stud depending on axle type)and use an open end spanner rather than a ratchet.

EDIT – If you think it’s bad getting it on, wait til you try removing it 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

adam – cheers yep that’s the more worrying thing is removing it too

there must be a better tool out there surely? how can it be fine on my xd driver for sram, but not the hope?!

DanW
    Free Member

Never noticed an issue with my Hope XD freehub. I do thread a QR skewer through though so maybe that is why I haven’t noticed anything. It isn’t something silly like the cassette just needing a bit more encouragement to sit on the splines properly? If they aren’t engaged first then I can see how you will start stripping the threads…

RickDraper
    Free Member

Yes I have the same issue. I removed the end cap and used a regular Park tool then just put the end cap back on the rear hub.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

rick does the end cap just pull off with no cassette on? like how the front 15mm qr’s come off dead easy?

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Yes it does.

robj20
    Free Member

I have yet to attempt removing my XX1 cassette not looking forward to it at all, i did remember to apply copious amounts of copper grease before installing though.

DanW
    Free Member

Mine comes off more than fine (Hope XD and American CLassic XD), no worries!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

robj20 – Member
    I have yet to attempt removing my XX1 cassette not looking forward to it at all, i did remember to apply copious amounts of copper grease before installing though.

I remember not long after launch hearing horror stories of ungreased xx1 cassettes being a pain to remove but IRL I’ve not come across one at work yet and I do a fair bit of 1×11.

Of course that’s probably cursed it, and the next 5 will be seized on…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeh my x01 cassette on my sram rails came off fine too – had no issues at all on that xd freehub getting it off after being on for ages too

just rang hope they’ve said the same to remove the end cap (xd adapter before fitting/taking off)

not tried that yet though

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

useful thread as I’m just about to embark on switching to a hope xd hub…thanks

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm still not really any clearer ive now tried a park tools lockring tool and its got slightly more engagement but not much

it doesn’t exactly slide in like it should, (usually when you put a lock ring tool in it slides all the way fully engaging/ thus making it very easy to torque up/remove

wouldn’t dare torque this as it would simply trash the threads as the tools not quite engaging far enough in, ie right on the edge of the threads

end caps off is better for tightening but if it was hard to get off you cant take the cap off before the cassette so you’d end up slipping on the threads if you put any force down

kane
    Free Member

The end cap comes off with the cassette on and, unless you have a very deep lockring tool, you’ll need to take it off. It can be stiff to pull so I normally need to use molgrips and line the jaws with some rubber to prevent cosmetic damage.

Really don’t try to use the tool if it isn’t fully engaged because you’ll break the cassette.

rone

I had to send a x01 back that was bonded to a hope driver. After the force we needed to remove it pulled the threads out of the cassette.

And yes, it was greased up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sram XX1/X01/X1 Cassette on Hope XD Driver issues’ is closed to new replies.